Search results

1. R

ALH parts for sale

Parts for sale (mailing by USPS priority mail w/tracking) Best offer entertained, looking to make space! Rims for sale (locally, pick up) Please email me at robnitro AT yahoo DOT com if interested, as I don't come on these forums often anymore. All prices negotiable. Click to see bigger...
  2. R

FS: 2001 VW Jetta TDI ALH w many parts

FS: ALH parts BROOKLYN, NY area Parts for sale (mailing priority mail) Rims for sale (locally, pick up) <s>Car sold</s> Click to see bigger version of thumbnails. --Ecodes with fog lights. currently on car but easy to swap stock back in and sell car with those, but shipping may cost too...
  3. R

FS: 2001 VW Jetta TDI ALH w many parts

FS: 2001 VW Jetta TDI ALH w many parts BROOKLYN, NY area SOLD!!! Figure 2250 is the lowest I will go, otherwise I may do an engine swap w head trade with a local guy here and sell it as working or just part it out for more money and donate the rest for a tax break. Here's a simple...
  4. R

EGR and efficiency

We always hear how disabling EGR increases efficiency. It might be due to other factors, like clogged intakes at the same time etc. With oil separation or elephant hose CCV to air, EGR might be helpful at low loads: I see some studies where EGR helps reduce consumption under low loads, so I...
  5. R

VagCom group 019 QA showing zeros?

Update: it was user error. Ooops FYI if anyone ever has this issue http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4648331&postcount=5 Hi, I have had an 11mm pump for a few years, no problems. Recently I had idle issues, after lowering the idle too much (in tuning experimentation) and the car was...
  6. R

Idle speed- any downsides to using a lower one (~750 rpm)?

Hi, My commute changed and I have a lot of stop and go and crawling. So, I changed my ecu to run a lower idle speed- previously 840, now 756 rpm. It's actually quite smooth because I use the stock dogbone, albeit with the swiss cheese rubber replaced with the softest poly one I could find...
  7. R

WTB: EGR pipe from exh manifold to egr cooler

WTB: EGR pipe from exh manifold to egr cooler Broke mine a while back and was thinking to put the egr cooler back before winter, to speed up warmup, as I have dynamic EGR (shuts off as coolant hits 60C or so).
  8. R

Tuning better FE by lowering boost request.

Hi, Recently I was part of some discussion on another forum about modifying the boost target maps in order to get less EMP and better cruising or light throttle driving. http://www.ecuconnections.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16272 For those of you who are interested in tuning yourself...
  9. R

EGR and most efficient AFR for cruising light loads

Hi, I've been experimenting with EGR rates and the target boost map, for economy improvements at low/mid loads (typical driving/cruising). I've read a few papers about EGR vs BSFC and it seems some show a slight improvement some show worse. So there is no consensus, plus a lot of them are...
  10. R

HOW TO: Find out if you have a boost leak, plugged intake, or bad maf w VCDS/Vagcom

Hi, Not sure if this is the right forum to post this but it deals with using diagnostics to find out issues regarding airflow, like a boost leak, plugged intake/egr, or a bad maf. Log group 10 wot in 3rd starting somewhere safe, like 2500rpm to as high as you can go. Group 10 is great, it...
  11. R

IQ adaptation- objective analysis + explanation

(ADDED) SUMMARY: Changing IQ in adaptation (idle) shifts the driver's request (pedal mapping to IQ map), and doesn't change other things. If your driver's request map is not the limit for fueling (ex: smoke map or torque limiter limit fuel), then changing IQ in adaptation will not cut your...
  12. R

EGR cooler longevity question

How many people still have their EGR cooler hooked up and not leaking? Is it common to start leaking/ corrode from the inside? I ask because I have a dynamic EGR tune, to help warmup. Right now I am using the uncooled EGR pipe that came with the PD150 intake+EGR valve. However, I was...
  13. R

WTB o2j 5sp for A4 tdi

My o2j, 1st locks up... figure a bearing or teeth dead... 2nd and up are fine.. so I dont know if its rebuildable as it rattles anyway even in idle clutch out. So, anyone have or know of a place that has o2j trannies for TDI (taller than gas), in the NYC area? I can travel in the tri state...
  14. R

o2j manual 5sp Transmission issue

Hi, This morning noticed that in first gear the engine sounded louder than in 2nd and up, same rpm compared, louder in 1st. Drove fine though. This afternoon going home the idle was louder with a bit of rattle. I tried to find the noise and I figured it might be the clutch, smf rattly sometimes...
  15. R

EGR rates and efficiency (+ overrun trick)

I have set up a temperature dependent egr map for my uncooled pd150 egr and it helps a lot with warm up. My egr map is slightly modified from the pd160 one, with ensuring 22 up to 25 afr for efficiency and smoke concerns. However, by reading many papers on EGR and efficiency, I can't seem to...
  16. R

HOWTO: manually engage coolant GPs MK4 VE TDI

Hi, The coolant GP's are a mystery, they only seem to come on when it is freezing cold, below 20F in my past experience. I decided to write up the basics on how I was able to manually control the coolant GPs (only on manual trans mk4) after being asked by a member. Here is a crude photo...
  17. R

Magnaflow Cat comments/info

I used to have a Magnaflow 93006D 2.5" cat (the wider one, 7"). It got plugged up quick- when I saw that a straight pipe gave me less smoke/better boost response I did some research. Some other people have noticed that it clogs up and back-pressure goes up a lot (up to 9 psi!). So, I rushed...
  18. R

Dynamic EGR (egr on warmup) questions

Hi, As the winter rolls in, I have been thinking about dynamic EGR. Recycling hotter exhaust gasses in in low loads seems like it would preserve a lot of the heat loss on a cold start. I can do it via tune, or wire up the N18 (at 6v or so perhaps 50% cycle) to my coolant glow plug...
  19. R

Possible solution for MAF saturation/linearization?

Background info: I have my setup to produce a haze by tweaking the IQ. However, up top the haze dissapears. If I want a haze up top, I have to lower the IQ which makes the smoke low/midrange to be a bit too much. Fueling isn't the issue, because I can change the IQ to make smoke up top, and...
  20. R

FS: EGR cooler, Stock IC, ALH intake, Stealth EGR racepipe

Edit: added approx prices, but open to offers... :) Stock ALH intake removed- I forgot it was sold in 2011, doh! SOLD SMIC Added Stock turbo intake pipe, yes the twisty turny one. FS: EGR cooler, Stock Stealth EGR racepipe, Stock TIP edit: I also have the upper plastic IC pipe that...