Search results

1. 0

starts hard after resting; timing changed to zero

CRANK SPROCKET As suggested above, repeatedly, the crank sprocket was the issue. The 3rd time I took it to my mechanic, I said, look just check the crank sprocket. You charge me labor by the hour, and I'll gladly pay you. Just check it for me. When I picked the car up, they said the timing...
  2. 0

Pinning the Crank Sprocket

Fortunately connected with a guru to see if this is the issue on my 96. Gonna trailer the car over tomorrow. Is there any way to get the pics from the first posts in '011?
  3. 0

do you still work on vws near Stafford? I'm having issues with my 96 Passat. See my posting...

do you still work on vws near Stafford? I'm having issues with my 96 Passat. See my posting 'starts hard after resting, timing changed to zero'. Several members have targeted my crank sprocket, but I can't pursuade my mech to look at it. Seems more than what I can do on my own. Are you...
  4. 0

still getting worserer So, when we last talked Jun 20 I said I moved the fuel pump and got timing lined up and everything ran good. Then I took it to my shop, with photos of the timing graph from last year and after the timing changed and asked what's going on. They said "the timing is right...
  5. 0

ALH mechanic needed in Baltimore area

Relocating to Baltimore and would like to have a couple names to call if/when something breaks. 03 Jetta TDI with EGR delete and Malone 2. Need the serpentine belt tensioner pretty soon. I've done most all of my own work over the years, but these cars are so low that ramps aren't high enough...
  6. 0

? replace engine at 350k ? ALH. counseling and medication needed

I just need someone to talk to. So, after trying to help my 16 yr old work on his own SAAB convertible, and seeing the daughter pour $$ of gas money into the Outback, I said, "look, I'll get a TDI for each of you to drive, and give it to you when you get out of college". That has worked out...
  7. 0

Sold

engine?
  8. 0

Visually the timing belt looks fine. I adjusted the injection pump position a lot, and on the first try the car started immediately and ran smooth as silk. Fiddled with the pump position and left it just a hair below the blue (center) line. Numbers say timing 38 at fuel T 154. The data...
  9. 0

Thanks for the responses. It got so bad that it wouldn't start this afternoon after work, so I'm waiting for someone to come help jump start it. First things I'll look at will be a visual on the timing belt to see if it's coming apart, then see if the fuel pump has loosened up and shifted...
  10. 0

96 Passat TDI at 495,000. 1 yr / 20,000 miles on timing belt done by professionals. Then VAGCOM said timing = 50 at 164 fuel temp; 840 idle / 5.4 mg/stroke / 1.34v. This was about midway between the center blue line and the top green line. Past 2 weeks car is getting progressively harder to...
  11. 0

need coolant heater relay 96 passat - & related quests

The coolant heater relay that runs the 3 glow plugs in the water jacket is ruined. I can't find the 191 911 261B relay anywhere. Anybody found one lately? It looks like it was $180 last time it was in stock. Expensive. It appears that the control wires from the ECU are still functioning, so...
  12. 0

? what is this fitting under passenger dash ? 96 Passat

Thanks for the come-backs. Yes, I can understand a carpet holder that has popped off. I checked out the heat and distribution blend doors while I had the area opened up to fix the heat control cable. Pretty good shape. I didn't get into the recirc system, which doesn't seem to work. Looks...
  13. Oct28 myst C

Oct28 myst C

fitting under passenger side knee bolster, right of and slightly higher than the condensate drain.
  14. Oct28 myst B

Oct28 myst B

fitting under passenger side knee bolster, right of and slightly higher than the condensate drain.
  15. mystery floor fitting

mystery floor fitting

please i.d. what this is
  16. Oct28 myst A

Oct28 myst A

17. 0

? what is this fitting under passenger dash ? 96 Passat

While I have the knee bolster off, I'm looking for sources of the cold air leak that freezes passenger's feet in wintertime. I see the condensate drain for the a/c. About 6" to the right and an inch higher there's a small tan plastic fitting sticking through a hole in the carpet. about 1/4"...
  18. 0

A/C AC diagnosis list and description B4 Passat

okay, I did find an answer to one of my questions. the white cube on the back of the temperature control knob is a cover for the light tunnels. The temperature gears move, but the lever underneath does not. Must be a broken connection between it and the gear. There are a couple pieces of...