Search results

1. GlowBugTDI

tdi alh slow cranking,

Like others have suggested id take serp belt off and check the pulleys, then get a cheapo starter and try and see where that leaves you....you can always return the cheap starter.
  2. GlowBugTDI

tdi alh slow cranking,

I went this route and the first one worked great in my first beetle, but in my 2nd beetle it got soooo irritating trying to change them out after the 3rd-4th R&R (tho i can do it really fast now). That paired with it failing and making me borrowing a vehicle just doesn't sit well with me...
  3. GlowBugTDI

tdi alh slow cranking,

Ive had the same happen. Mine turned out to be a bad casing/housing.
  4. GlowBugTDI

tdi alh slow cranking,

Look for my "how a starter locked my engine" thread. I'll look for it and try to add it. I couldn't even pop the car off when pullung down the road. It just completely locked the drive system. Here ya go. https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/how-an-oriellys-starter-locked-my-engine.513751/
  5. GlowBugTDI

tdi alh slow cranking,

I do not recommend a oriellys or other off brand starter. I live in MN and they do not last winters
  6. GlowBugTDI

Project 98 New Beetle TDI Overhaul, And then some.

Otherwise theres plans somwhere around on how to make one out of a street sign
  7. GlowBugTDI

The attachments (rivets and bolts) i got on dieselgeek site. The skid plate i found on here about an hour away from my place and it came with the bracket/mounts. Its one of those things you keep an eye out and eventually you find one for a price your interested in. I did my "build" on 2nd hand...
  8. GlowBugTDI

MK4 parts for sale

Are you willing to ship the axles, and how many miles are on them? Same with the injectors...
  9. GlowBugTDI

Not to deter you away from this thread, but also check out the "beef on a budget" thread. Id parts has the springs for this lift. And the "2" lift for 40$" thread. I used this one for my beetle and enjoyed it for a couple years before dropping it to stock hight. I also recommend a skid plate if...
  10. GlowBugTDI

ALH Straight Pipe

i would agree, but its out past the bumper.... the only thing I can think of is that I stiffened my dog bone mount.
  11. GlowBugTDI

ALH Straight Pipe

Mine seems to drone above 70 and has cabin drone/noise but I cant figure out how much is just noisy diesel engine and how much is exhaust drone as my exhaust is in good shape I went through the whole thing and its completely sealed. It's straight piped but still gets a drone above 65-70...can't...
  12. GlowBugTDI

MN Chat Thread

where are you at abouts? I'm in Cambridge area but make frequent drives to Bloomington
  13. GlowBugTDI

MN Chat Thread

noice! not even 2nd gear a little? lol. I remember the scream, is it just header dump or how did you get it so loud? It had a nice sound to it. I need another loud beater car in my life. My brother used to have a 98 grand am and we used to roll past the pizza pub in Princeton in the evening...
  14. GlowBugTDI

MN Chat Thread

man!, That was you? I was cheering for ya the whole time! had no idea. You pulled ahead real fast in a couple of those, and were letting the thing scream!!! I watched some friends run in there with trucks and cars. I did the redneck races in mora, but blew my $250 HHR up in the practice lap🤬...
  15. GlowBugTDI

MN Chat Thread

i heard about that method. so if what happens then its that cylinder?
  16. GlowBugTDI

MN Chat Thread

dude i forgot about the 11mm! I want one of those for next TB. Maybe Ill just get it for next years night of destruction in Cambridge and the mora redneck races then scrap it and keep all the tdi goodies. I'd do 400 on it beetles aren't worth much but weigh almost two tons. so a good amount of...
  17. GlowBugTDI

MN Chat Thread

ok, i do have a obd 3 scanner but idk if it can tell timing. update he says no papers for the work he had recently done at vw...im guessing he did the belt and the timing is retarded resulting in the very hard start, no power, and white smoke. could be wrong but may still check it out.
  18. GlowBugTDI

MN Chat Thread

Just saw that one on there. Idk if i want one with 450k though. Maybe for a parts car if i got it for less then that. I'd want to know when the tb was done, which was probably a long time ago if it has 450k.
  19. GlowBugTDI

MN Chat Thread

ya me neither unless he has paper which I haven't asked. Thinking I may go look at it today and see if its anything obvious. Everything sounds like bad timing except for the fact that it only has a "miss on cylinder 4". This is probably the first time I wish I had vcds, and knew how to use it. lol
  20. GlowBugTDI

MN Chat Thread

he said vw told him all 4 cylinders had good comp. I was more concerned if a valve or tappet wasn't functioning. or maybe a bad cam lobe but that's not common i don't think.