Search results

1. UhOh

How much axle grease?

How much grease should I look to pack into clean transmission flanges? Or, is this just a matter of packing additional grease into the joint itself? I'm swapping out a transmission and the replacement (fresh rebuild) has no residual grease in the flanges. I've never messed with CV joints...
  2. UhOh

WTB: Jack for MIKV [Golf] - North Seattle area

In need of a jack. You'd think that with all the cars that have come and gone you couldn't walk without tripping on one of these things, yet they seem hard to find. I thought that there would be tons at the wreckers but apparently they get rid of them so folks don't try and use them in the...
  3. UhOh

02J leaking between cases

I'd thought that I'd posted something about this some time back but am not finding it. Planning on doing a clutch change on the wife's car: 2003 Golf. When we'd gotten it from her son (we'd bought it for him and then we got it back) I'd noticed a leak from the transmission. It's not a bad...
  4. UhOh

Starter solenoid or...

No click from starter solenoid. If battery and all wiring is good would this be a failed solenoid? Some time back I replaced the starter with one that I rebuilt (new brushes and solenoid): I"d recently pulled it from the wife's car- it was in need of a refresh. It would spin the engine...
  5. UhOh

5spd manual shift problems when sitting still

Always thought that I could figure these things out, but for some reason my brain is struggling with this one... Recently my car, 2000 ALH w/5spd manual, became almost impossible to shift into gear when sitting still. First discovery was just after starting up and backing out of my garage...
  6. UhOh

Corroded strut top spring perch

Daughter's wagon had some suspension noises going on. Here is what I found (I replaced everything not quite 3 years ago- all new parts from a reputable/sponsor): I've never seen a top spring perch corroded like this. This isn't the rust belt! (and even my car, which WAS from the rust...
  7. UhOh

Is this seat element repairable?

I am unfamiliar with this kind of wire. Kind of looks like its carbon? Is there some way to repair this? I'm failing to get pics uploaded so here's a link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bswo7e0y2dzelqg/seat_element.jpg
  8. UhOh

Brake carrier bolt torque - for replacement carrier?

OK, so I know that Bentley specifies 48 ft-lbs, and that everywhere else people seem to say the same, but... I'm installing new carriers and have found that due to the thickness of these carriers the bolts do not engage them like the original carriers (bolt threads would actually extend past...
  9. UhOh

Clutch slave or?

Have experienced a bad smell from the wife's car (about 209k miles) that is almost certainly coming from the clutch. The smell has occurred only a couple times and seems related to extensive clutch action. Wife doesn't slip/ride the clutch. Car tends to not see a lot of shifting as it runs...
  10. UhOh

WTB (PNW- Seattle area): Splash shield and side skirts for 2003 Jetta (01m)

Wanted to buy a splash shield and side skirts for a 2003 TDI Jetta wagon (01m, if that matters)> I'm a bit north of Seattle. Not a lot of time to stroll through wrecking yards. Might come down to going with a DieselGeek Panzer plate (price difference with a new plastic splash shield isn't all...
  11. UhOh

Removal of aftermarket double DIN stereo and trim?

Due to a misunderstanding on my part on wiring (didn't connect the antenna power wire) I need to pull a newly installed aftermarket HU (head unit) out of my car. It's installed with a trim kit that holds the HU and snaps into the DIN pocket, and I mean SNAPS. I've read that it's really hard to...
  12. UhOh

Random(?) high idle

Driving the wife's car the other night and at a stop light I looked at the tach to see it at about 1,050 rpm. Car was warmed up, well above the 140 degree range. Dash gauge showed the normal 190. Ultragauge showed nearly the same. Shortly afterwards the idle speed showed up normal (903 rpm)...
  13. UhOh

Looking for headlight solution

Yeah, another thread on headlights! Anyone know where I get [standard halogen] US-spec [read: NOT E-code] headlights w/fogs AND glass lenses? I'm wanting to improve the headlights on the wife's Golf. It's still got plastic lenses (that I'm tiring of cleaning), and seeing as my other two Golfs...
  14. UhOh

Dash cup holder - how to remove innards?

I've got a project that I'm working on that is intending to use a dash cup holder. I need to remove the guts from it (the holder bits), though want to retain the faceplate. Searched all over and cannot find anyone mentioning doing this, so... Anyone every remove the innards from a MKIV dash...
  15. UhOh

Anyone experienced burning/"cooking" vacuum lines?

Anyone experience any burning/overheating vacuum lines? Not like "on fire," but rather like cooking (extremely heated). I'm trying to track down the source of this smell that just popped up in the wife's car. The smell seems to be strongest around the area just below the vacuum pump (it's not...
  16. UhOh

Integrating USB ports - dash cupholder cubby?

I'm looking at replacing the stock HU (Head Unit) in my Golf. Replacement units I'm looking at have Android Auto and I'd like to take advantage of this. Issue is, this requires a physical USB cable. Most units have the USB connectors off the back of the units, in which case it becomes...
  17. UhOh

Inspecting CV joints while on the axle

Is it possible to do an evaluation of CV joints while they're still on the axle (and the axle(s) are still in the car)? Working on the wife's Golf (clutch job and suspension refresh) and I have the axles disconnected from the differential, but not from the knuckles/rotors. The reason why I'm...
  18. UhOh

[Meet] Tanko

Now that my car has pretty much been rejuvenated I figured I'd show it off a bit. Some background on the car I call "Tanko": Purchased winter of 2015 to replace an aging 1999 Toyota Corolla. I had never purchased a new vehicle and I didn't want to break that trend, so I got to researching...
  19. UhOh

New fender install - question on application of seam sealer

In the process of putting my Golf's front end back together after getting it back from the body shop. I have two new, painted fenders and would like to know what all special things need to be done to reinstall. I know that seam sealer is used on the areas of the fender as it attaches to the...
  20. UhOh

Jetta headlights - problems seating connectors

I have been fighting a problem with the daughter's wagon's headlights dropping out on her. Driver's side is tending to be more consistently problematic. I'd replaced the entire headlight assemblies with retrofitted HID projectors. No problems with a bad connection prior to this swap...