Search results

1. Lug_Nut

2017 annualized fuel economy

There has been no monthly listing for some time, but those of us that do tabulate might want to brag or complain about our own result for the just completed year. 2017 annual mileage, one summary entry for the entire year. Driver: Lug_Nut Miles: 14,255 Gallons: 301.420 Model Year: 2005 Model...
  2. Lug_Nut

First Friday (of fall season) / Farewell to "Snowy"

"Snowy", the white 2000 Golf that Bonnie has been fostering, will be leaving our midsts and heading westward to a new home. The new owner (a long-time Fred's member) will be flying in on Friday to pick up the Golf, and will be heading back with the car on Saturday. What better way to celebrate...
  3. Lug_Nut

Safe Travels / Bon Voyage

In the words of Paul Simon: Well, I'm on my way, I don't know where I'm going. I'm on my way, Taking my time, but I don't know where.
  4. Lug_Nut

40's In A Bag: the premier Barbeque / Car Show / excuse for a party

It's that time of year again. First Saturday in May (the 7th this year, and well into Sunday the 8th), Samsonville NY. http://www.40sinabag.com/ I had such a great time a few years ago, despite having condensation icicles inside my tent Sunday morning, and having to bum a ride home (thanks...
  5. Lug_Nut

VDS-Pro configuration set values?

I'm looking for Configuration settings from those that have successfully used VDS-Pro. I'm specifically interested in what YOU use for your: Connect: baud rate, and Control unit value Protocol Parameter timing values I'm trying to uncover the reasons why I can't successfully connect when...
  6. Lug_Nut

VW wins award for MBQ engine component

The 44th annual Automotive Innovation Award Competition winners have been announced by the sponsoring Society of Plastics Engineers (SPE) group and published in the January issue of Plastics Technology (PTonline.com). VWAG won the Powertrain category award for the MDB engine platform's...
  7. Lug_Nut

Download of old (Win98 compatible) VagCom / VCDS program?

Where might an old Luddite like me locate a download of the VCDS 9.x that was the last version compatible with Win98? I don't need Ross-Tech 'continuing support', I don't need USB, I don't (yet) need the Can-Bus. I want to re-purpose an old laptop that runs just fine on 98SE, but is woefully...
  8. Lug_Nut

"Dakar" 2014 broadcast coverage in US?

I realized while watching Toby Moody cover the 2013 Baja 1000 on tv last night that I haven't seen listings or advertisements that the 2014 "Dakar" will be broadcast on US television. Can anyone provide any info on network or cable coverage?
  9. Lug_Nut

Green America's Green Business Award vote

http://www.greenamerica.org/green-business-people-and-planet-award/index.cfm Bio-Beetle Eco Rental Cars of Maui and Dogpatch Biofuels of San Diego are on the short list of 10 finalists for the People & Planet Award for Green Businesses presented by Green America ( greenamerica.org ). It's...
  10. Lug_Nut

TDIFest '13 Trivia!

It's trivia like never before! Do you think you're ready? So you know the size of the wire gauge on the return springs for the rear drum brakes on a 1998 Jetta TDI? And you know how many splines there are on the third gear input shaft on the 02J transmission? And you know how many threads per...
  11. Lug_Nut

"Dakar" 2013: US TV coverage?

Is the basic cable channel "Versus", (or whatever they're called now) going to have at least high lights of the action this year? Or will I only get on-line infusions through SBS.com.au again?
  12. Lug_Nut

New England Dyno Day 2012 (NEDD12) information

Save the date of 17 November, 2012 (the weekend before US Thanksgiving) for the semi-traditional New England Dyno Day. New venue! Enhanced Street Performance (ESP), 12 Beverly Drive, Sterling, MA 01564 ( WWW.EnhancedStreetPerformance.com ) New capabilities! Tach pick-up for torque numbers...
  13. Lug_Nut

F.S.: A3 / B4 items in New England

the sale of the remaining items has been cancelled. $138 ($133.60 Canadian) was raised for Fred's from this sale. Thank you all.
  14. Lug_Nut

feeler: NEDD'12

What say you to a New England Dyno Day this fall? There's a tuner/dyno shop near to me that has AWD capabilities, OBDII pick-up of diesel tach signals (torque curves without add-on optical reflection stickers), regularly does club dyno events, offers cook-out ameneties, has reasonable price...
  15. Lug_Nut

Double DIN removal tools desired at 'fest

My radio has quit. I still have the flashing red anti-theft lamp, fuse 42 is good and the lighter socket is still powered. VCDS does not recognize the radio (controller not present). It does not power up at all to even provide the "safe" code access. The earlier (A3 /B4) radios had a second fuse...
  16. Lug_Nut

2005 GLS Passat TDI wagon (Mass.) SOLD

25 July, Sold to a new owner in N.C. $10,500 GLS in Wheat Beige with Anthracite heated leather, wood trim, cold weather package. http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj212/Lug_Nut_bucket/B5V%20TDI/ currently at 180k miles Just back from new hood and fender replacement covered under the VW...
  17. Lug_Nut

ALH newbie needs help / advice

(Cause has been identified, see post 64) 2002 Jetta starts easily, idles smoothly, but revs only to 1800 and lots of smoke. I'm out of ideas looking for advice on next steps. I bought a well priced 02 Jetta with the thought of making it a replacement for the B5.5. It needed work but I thought...
  18. Lug_Nut

B100 in Dakar 2012

Last year there was a single B20 entry in the T2 class. This year there are several entries ( B100 diesels, and dual fuel natural gas/petrol spark engine) in the new alternative fuel category. The expired link has been deleted
  19. Lug_Nut

Passat Door Bonk.....but NOT a B4!

Frikkin' car! This morning I had a classic Passat 'door bonk' episode, but it was in the B5.5, not a classic B4 Passat. The B5 has internal latch guts, no easy remedy of pulling a cover and working the catch spring as on the B4. I tied the rear doors together with a rope around the door handles...
  20. Lug_Nut

My 'anniversary': 10 years of biodiesel

It's 10 years since Sunday, October 28, 2001, the date of my first biodiesel purchase. Petro diesel was between $1.249 and $1.619 per gallon in the weeks leading up to that date. That homebrewed B100 was $2.40 a gallon, or 67% MORE per gallon. It was worth it then. Petrodiesel is now between...