Search results

1. R

Dip stick oil sucker thingy

Who uses this method for changes? I have for each of my '11 JSW's changes and I love it. I could change my oil in a suit if I wanted too. No crawling on the ground or taking the 49 screws out that hold the belly pan in place to get at the drain plug. The 50 bucks or whatever it was I paid...
  2. R

Best tire pressure

Recently bought a set of General Altimax RT43 tires, 205/55R16. Very happy so far. They ride nice, quiet and handle well. Stopped to check the pressure a few days ago. Didn't ask the tech what he filled them to, so I checked the door jamb label which says 35 front/rear. When I checked them...
  3. R

Engine off coasting a TDI.

I have a '11 JSW 6MT. Have owned since april. I have put a bit over 30K miles on it. A lot of work driving. I have gotten between 42-46 mpg (measured by odometer/pump readings). I have found that warm weather does yield better mpg. I am sure part of this is the decreased air drag of warm...
  4. R

WTB Winter wheels/snow tires for Mk6 JSW

Would like both, but will settle for wheels if the price is right. Aluminum/steel is fine. Don’t have to be pretty. I am in CT. Work all over southern New England and occasionally northern New England. Can’t imagine they’d be worth shipping. From distant areas. Sent from my iPhone using...
  5. R

Sudden improvement in mileage

'11 JSW 6MT Bought in mid april with 55K miles. Have had a very steady 42-43 mpg since. Might have done 44 on an all hiway trip a few months ago. The last 2 fillups have been 46, 44. If anything, I have had more city driving. Current mileage is 73K. (Yeah, I drive it a bit for work)...
  6. R

rear tire wear on inside.

My 11 JSW just got its first oil change. When it was on the lift I noticed some pretty drastic wear to the inside of both rear tires. When I bought the car, a few months and 11K miles ago, the tires looked close to new. My mechanic (Mike from 413 auto, who I found here) said it could just...
  7. R

Should I listen to my shift nanny?

For the most part, it seems to be pretty good, but I find that in low load conditions (level ground or downhill) it's calling for a downshift, but I tell it to STFU as I am doing just fine lopping along at 1100 rpms. There are some times when it seems to lose it's freaking mind and get stuck...
  8. R

Wobble under braking from high speed.

I have a new to me '11 JSW 6MT, 58K miles. When I brake from anything much over 70 mph, I get a pretty strong wobble as if I have a warped rotor. Don't get it braking from 50. Also, I have a bit of a vibration in the front end starting around 70. I attribute this to wheel balance. I am going...
  9. R

MT oil

I am the new owner of an '11 JSW 6MT. 55K miles. I assume the trans oil is original. Oil has been changed. Brake fluid is being flushed before I pick it up. Should I do the trans as well? If so, recommendations? I don't see the MT mentioned in the maintenance schedule. And yes, I did search...
  10. R

Has anyone bought back their buyback?

Did VW make any provisions to assist with this? I realize that once VW bought it back, they were under no obligation to eventually sell it back to the original owner, but it does seem like it would be a nice thing to do. I am sure their are owners out there that would want to do that as...
  11. R

Partially heated seats.

I am the new owner of an '11 JSW. It has heated pleather seats. I love heated seats, or more accurately, my stiff lower back loves them. My nether regions.....not so much. Things down there get sweaty enough as it is without help from a heated seat. So, my question is, how difficult would it...
  12. R

2.0 TDI into toyota pickup

I have seen plenty of threads on older TDIs going into old toyota pickups. But how about the newer 2.0 CR? Is it much more difficult? Will it bolt up to a toy 5 speed? I have a Toyota pickup based RV. Mine is a low miles 22RE that runs like new, so I would never do it, but I would love to see...
  13. R

Just bought an '11 Sportwagen

Put down 100 dollar deposit yesterday. Bought from a used car/mechanic shop. Silver/black, 6MT 55K. Seems to be in good shape. A few scuffs here and there. I read oilhammer's excellent thread about these things and will be headed back today for another look before I hand over a check. The...
  14. R

Buying a TDI with emissions mods.

There is a 2 dr Golf on cl. It has had some emissions mods. From the ad.... Should I run away? Will I have issues with my state's emissions ****s? I live in Connecticut. My guess is the states will look at all of these reformed cheaters with suspicion. Also, I am guessing that whatever...
  15. R

6 speed in a TSI

I have noticed that the only way to get a 6 speed manual in a Golf is the GTI. Many other manufacturers such as Mazda offer a 6 speed in their entry level cars. Of course, the last time I looked into this, the TDI was still available, so maybe they do now. Now that VW likely has excess 6 speed...
  16. R

How SHOULD the US have handled dieselgate.

I don't own a TDI, but I have been a fan of them and was considering buying one before this storm hit. Had my state, CT not been extremely diesel unfriendly, I very well may have bought one. So, I don't have any skin in the game but think the way this has been handled is ridiculous. VW did get...
  17. R

At what price does diesel make financial sense?

Been a lurker here for years. But haven't bought a TDI yet. I was thinking about it pretty hard last year, with a new job that has me putting about 50K a year on my Sonata. Then the price of gas flopped. Before the flop, diesel in CT was close to a buck more than RUG. Today it is still close...
  18. R

03 jetta wagon what's it worth?

Found an 03 5 speed, 150K. Driver side got side swipped pretty hard. Owner says doors/windows/rear hatch all function fine. 2nd owner, complete service history. Not too worried about looks. Just would like a dependable tdi 5 speed and I really like this model. i am a TDI newbie. Any tips on...
  19. R

Toyota Motorhome conversion questions.

I have a Toyota motorhome. It is a '90 odyssey with the 3.slow V-6. I would love to do a TDI repower someday. Probably wouldn't do it to the Odyssey as it is a bit of a whale as toyhouses go. Would prefer to do it with a mid 80s Sunrader, preferably the shorty 18 footer. The Sunraders are the...
  20. R

Audi A1 etron

What do you folks think about this thing? I think it's a great idea. A very lightweight generator in a series hybrid which sees most of it's use as a pure EV. In my opinion, it makes much more sense than the volt which has to drag around a heavy lump of an engine. I realize that rotaries are...