Search results

1. oilhammer

2002 Jetta TDI - MAJOR Oil burning

Sounds like a tooefed turbocharger to me.... but if the engine has been damaged because of it, you may be in for more work than just that.
  2. oilhammer

FS New2.0L Audi/VWGenuine balance shaft module - $1300

No, you need more than that. All the required parts are listed in the how-to thread in the B5 section. The crank gear, the crank bolt, the crank seal, and all the bolts that hold that unit to the bottom of the engine, and I remove the #1 main cap to get better access to get the old sprocket...
  3. oilhammer

FS: 2012 VW Tiguan TDI/DSG - Greenville, SC

Sadly, station wagons are vanishing from our choices. I am putting a new engine in a 2014 Audi A4 Allroad this week (which is essentially a "brute" version of an A4 Avant) simply because the owner likes the car and doesn't see any good replacements available. And aside from the awful EA888...
  4. oilhammer

2011 did excellent on trip - 41.2 MPG down 37.1 on return.

The R, and to a lesser extend the GTI, don't really make good daily drivers in my opinion. They don't ride as nice, the seats can be punishing on all but the smoothest roads, and they eat [expensive] tires relative to the "regular" Golf. Keep the R in the garage for nice sunny dry days, and...
  5. oilhammer

Need new 2006 jetta tdi drivers door latch

Yep, the correct working part will cost more. You can certainly try the Chinesium one... not exactly a quick easy thing to do, but you can place whatever value on your time you like.
  6. oilhammer

Ongoing intermittent crank issue on my 2005 Passat.

Because French KW is not as much as German KW. ;)
  7. oilhammer

Need new 2006 jetta tdi drivers door latch

Your local dealer probably has one on the shelf. If you can, I'd also get the updated harness (these drop in and out of availability lately, though). A used latch for a Volkswagen would be akin to used toilet paper, as far as I am concerned. They fail so often.
  8. oilhammer

2011 CJAA engine for sale

Slightly weak cylinder, history unknown (car was purchased at an auction). It has one brand new injector in it. Complete minus turbocharger and a few other bits. It had about 130k miles on it, timing belt original and untouched. $300, you'd have to come get it. I'd be willing to take...
  9. 20211130_115317.jpg

20211130_115317.jpg

CJAA
  10. oilhammer

Either Bosch or ETKA has clearly made a mistake. I've never run into this before, but BHW starters are not a high failure item either.
  11. oilhammer

There was only ever one starter for the BHW, since they were all automatic. ETKA shows 068-911-024-F and GX (the GX being the reman exchange). 1.8kw... Bosch typically puts the motor output directly on the case, stamped in the housing somewhere. The Bosch reman number is SR0423X. Valeo has a...
  12. oilhammer

Glow Plug actuation question

The preglow is active when the glow lamp is lit, and if you do nothing after it goes out, the preglow may continue for a few seconds longer. Then the glow plugs get switched off during cranking, and once the engine is started, they come back on for afterglow, and depending on coolant temp and...
  13. oilhammer

2011 did excellent on trip - 41.2 MPG down 37.1 on return.

Pretty close to what my BHW will return, maybe a bit better. No ALH... But to make you feel better (and make me feel worse) we went on a trip over the weekend and due to space availability elected to take my 4Mo B5 wagon, with the AWM 1.8t engine. And it gobbled up premium at a rate of 23...
  14. oilhammer

Edited, sorry... 17 years old
  15. oilhammer

Random Knocking and Buzzing Behind Passenger side dash

The recirc door motor. Very common.
  16. oilhammer

Revving high on a TDI

The older cars were geared fairly low, the non-turbo ones especially so. They needed to spin 4000 RPM just to cruise at higher highway speeds. You won't hurt it.
  17. oilhammer

When is a bad MAF not a bad MAF ?

Send the injectors out for a good (professional) inspection. I'd probably also send the pump out, since it is leaking and was clearly butchered by your description. While the fuel system components are being evaluated/rebuilt, you can get the timing belt stuff all ready.
  18. oilhammer

B5.5 Passat wagon pulsating vibrations on acceleration

Sounds like a typical CV joint to me. A trick you can try: Find a long tube (copper, steel, whatever...something rigid) that you can thread a grease fitting into one end. Has to be ~2 feet long. Take the outer joint axle bolt out, with the car at level and the wheels facing straight ahead...
  19. oilhammer

Just got back from a long weekend trip in my 17 year old B5 wagon, and it performed flawlessly. Not sure I'd want anything newer.
  20. oilhammer

VW switching to 0W oils?

Toyota has a 0w16 oil now, for some of the hybrids.