Search results

1. C

SoCal 2001 golf GL for sale

77k miles, 5spd, blue paint / tan cloth interior 2dr / crank windows / manual everything New maf at 69999 miles, have spare pierberg as well. New 75k TB (and water pump and such) at 59999 miles. New tires at 65k or so. mp3 cd changer with stock HU Mobil 1 5/40 used at all times. I've got all 3...
  2. C

wildly off topic: non diesel 86 cabriolet question

So my girlfriend's about to move in with me; she lives in northern california and I live in southern california. Ignoring all the obvious problems (and advantages) to this she's got to drive her 86 cabriolet about 500 miles in the middle of summer. On my first visit in a couple weeks we drove...
  3. C

how much oil consumption is too much?

I've got a 2001 golf 5spd with 51k miles on it. In a typical 2 week period of time, I'll drive it 120 miles a day in 3 of those days, 0 miles in 4 of those days, 500 miles in 1 of those days and 5 miles a day in the remaining 6 days. I drive the car pretty hard; it lets out a beige haze in...
  4. C

VR6/1.8t/gti front brakes when I replace springs?

My 2001 golf gl turned 50k recently and I've been thinking about what I'm going to do with it. I've decided to go with VR6 front springs with bilstein shocks. How much more work is it to modify the front brakes to use VR6 calipers / pads at this point? Is this a worthwhile upgrade? Would I...
  5. C

rear brake issues with 2001 golf?

I'm about to order a set of rear disks and pads and a couple places said that they wanted the VIN before they could quote me a price as there were early and late versions for my year. I don't have the VIN memorized and I'm at work and my car is at home. Is there anything wrong with a set of...
  6. C

Did you just say six hundred sixty nine dollars?!?

I knew my car needed rear pads. Now it has started making a crunching sound when I come to a complete stop. I called around to some auto parts places and they've got pads and rotors for about $110 total. Places on the internet have pads + rotors for $100 total. On a lark, I called the...
  7. C

suspension question (neuspeed sofsport+bilsteins)

Does anyone have any experience with using neuspeed sofsport springs with bilstein HD shocks? Are there any poly bushing kits for the MK4 VWs? I'm considering replacing some suspension stuff on my 01 golf. At the moment it is totally stock and kinda wallows a bit too much for my taste. I...
  8. C

vag-com and radio code

I bought my car used and didn't get the radio codes with the car. I've pulled the radio and it isn't very hard but when I've talked to the VW people they "offered" to look at the radio and then look up the radio code, but would charge me for the "diagnostics". Well, at $85, that's pretty close...
  9. C

RWD VW IDI options?

Is it possible to mount any normal VW motor in a RWD type vehicle? I know that some volvos used a diesel made by VW and they are RWD so it stands to reason that such a transmission would be suitable to mate up to a different VW motor. That said, I'm not sure if those VW diesels have a wacky...
  10. C

Stock TDI == smoke under heavy load?

I've got a 2001 golf gl. I got it used with about 36k on the clock. It came from a corner lot type dealer and was imported from colorado (even saw the colo plate of "VW TDI"). Ever since I've had it, with both the bosch and pierberg MAF, at full power it dumps a pretty good cloud from...
  11. C

Sticky rings and delvac 1

I bought some delvac today ($87 for 4 gallons from empire oil in bloomington between riverside and colton in california). I'm planning on doing an oil change pretty soon. I got the car used -- while it came with full records there is some indication that at least once it had just plain old...
  12. C

california emissions warranty

Hi all. I'm not actually seeing any problems with my car but I was just wondering -- I'm the 2nd owner of my 2001 golf. This means that I've got a 5 year / 50,000 mile warranty, right? I also live in california so I've got some sort of CARB mandated emissions equipment warranty on my...
  13. C

Yet another tale of the pierberg MAF

I've had my 2001 golf for about 6 months; It had 36k miles on it and I've put 6k on it myself. So far, no complaints except for maybe the flat spot in the power band from 2,700 to 3,300 RPMs. I put in a new pierberg in and the flat spot is gone. The car now revs smoothly through to 4100...
  14. C

Remove carpets to clean them?

This will probably sound a bit silly, but... On my old car, a 1970 volvo, it was a half hour job to pull out the carpets. I did this about once a year to hose and simple-green them and vacuum all the crap that got under them. You wouldn't believe how filthy carpets can get in a dusty area...
  15. C

Okay to top off with non-diesel oil?

I got my TDI about 5 months ago. Almost as soon as I got it I got the oil and filter changed. The oil used was the petrocanada duron. I'm now about 6000 miles into this oil and there has been some consumption somewhere -- the oil registers at the bottom of the dipstick (not even reaching...
  16. C

power limits on normal USA TDI?

All this is WRT a USA spec 2001 5spd golf. I'm going to assume that the turbo is what limits the total output on my USA spec golf -- I can modify the fuel system so it dumps absurd volumes of fuel into my motor but without upgrading the turbo I'll eventually run out of air so I'll just make...
  17. C

upgrade path over life of vehicle?

I've got this TDI -- it's my only car and I like it very much. I would, however, eventually like to make it spiffier and spiffier. Since I plan on owning it until cars fly... The car in question is a 2001 5spd golf gl My plans are as follows: at timing belt change time, 11mm pump...
  18. C

failed signal light flasher

My car's signal light flasher failed a week ago. At first I thought I was going nuts -- did I forget to signal? What's going on? I searched vwvortex and found this helpful thread (has both the PN of the flasher and also an english description of the fuses and their numbers) vw vortex...
  19. C

AC Issues?

This isn't directly a diesel issue, more of an A4 issue. A friend has a late 99 jetta and another has a 2000 NB. The Jetta's AC died about 10 months ago and has yet to be decently repaired (but the owner is also dead broke so he hasn't spent the money to totally fix it). The NB's AC just...
  20. C

Which wheels for 86 cabriolet?

Okay, yes, there is minimal (none, really) diesel content but: My girlfriend has an 86 cabriolet with some really thrashed wheels and tires. I'd prefer to just go to a junkyard and pick up a new set of wheels and maybe even tires but I'm not sure which will fit what? I know rabbits and...