Search results

1. maroonfrog1

Sold -- sad to be leaving

it's been 125,000 miles and close to five years ago that I purchased a used A3 TDi and learned "from the masters" on this site how to maintain it and love it. After 3 months of "the gauntlet" of the VWGOA buyback, it is now back in their hands. I thought pretty hard about buying another TDi...
  2. maroonfrog1

12vdc and aux audio plugin console panel toast

Over 115k miles on my 2011 S-Line A3 now and there are maddeningly frustrating things crapping out now. Passenger door window electric up/down switch does not work from that door, but works if I run my switch from drivers side. Is this an easy fix? Reason for posting, however, is to check in...
  3. maroonfrog1

Hood latch sensor caused wiper freeze at idle

... so in Texas, the databases for annual auto registration are now ties to annual state inspections. No current inspection -- no registration. So November rolls around and I realize I'm past my due date, and my A3 TDI won't pass inspection unless the wipers will run at idle. Been a problem...
  4. maroonfrog1

Trip in a few months to Grantham, England

... so I'm preparing for a trip to England in a few months, to a town called Grantham, England. Not far from Nottingham and Lincoln, north of London in the East Midlands area of the U.K. Today I Learned ("TIL") that in 1892, a factory in this town ran the first successful 100%...
  5. maroonfrog1

Now serving B20 ... do I stop using additive?

... Saturday morning routine, topping up the fuel tank in my '11 A3 TDI. Usual Phillips66 station now has big green sticker on the diesel pump ... "B20 ... contains UP TO 20% biodiesel". This is north Texas, and I believe this is brand new to this station. I have been adding PowerService or...
  6. maroonfrog1

Diesel Tech Forum Report May 2014

... so I think some members of this forum pointed me to these guys some years ago, but I hadn't seen this paper posted anywhere. Down in the middle of this paper, there are some interesting stats on federal and state taxes on diesel that I found very interesting. Enjoy...
  7. maroonfrog1

Defective A3 front headlight control module?

... I won't go into the gory details of the jerkweed who didn't tie down "goodies" in the back of his truck, but ... My 2011 Audi A3 TDI S-Line was struck in the right-front bumper by a flying piece of stuff on the highway. Great bodyshop here in Fort Worth did repairs -- new bumper, hardware...
  8. maroonfrog1

Rear blinker bulb

A3 owners: I have now replaced the right rear blinker bulb in my '11 A3 TDI 3 times -- averaging over once per year or about 15,000 miles per bulb !! Today I took a good look at the metal circuitry and reflector housing seal and nothing looks corroded or leaking or out of order -- and the wire...
  9. maroonfrog1

Comparison - Diesel vs Gasser - 2012 - My A3 TDI

.. so I meant to do this last year, and forgot, so on the First Day of , I'm going to do a little analysis of what I've saved in fuel costs by owning a diesel Audi A3 TDI (2011) instead of a gasser: Total spent on diesel fuel in 2012 Fuelly (never missed logging a fillup in 2012): $2439 Total...
  10. maroonfrog1

Slapping the Jealous Button hard

... so a friend who has been in my A3 TDI, and is jealous of my fuel efficiency sends me a link on Audi's "E-Pilot" program with 13 electric A3s in the USA. See it at http://youtu.be/L2JtFkQNjf0 I'd love to get the chance to drive one -- just to compare the experience with my A3 TDI (which...
  11. maroonfrog1

July 2012 Diesel Cost of Ownership Study

... I had never heard of this firm (Vincentric) before, and did a sniff test for a couple of days before posting. I like their TCO methodology -- especially how often they update their cost database (monthly). Thought their latest diesel TCO results were interesting...
  12. maroonfrog1

Chevron Diesel Fuels Technical Review Article

... I'm not even sure what I was Googling for when I discovered this paper, but this white paper, while admittedly "branded" since it is a Chevron publication, is a GREAT primer on how diesel fuel is manufactured, what makes it different than other fuels, etc. IMHO, this primer could probably...
  13. maroonfrog1

2000-mile August College Visit Road Trip

... so my 17-year-old kiddo wants to apply to colleges in the northeast -- and us Texans will be picking him up in our TDI in Boston after a college camp at Boston U and viewing four colleges on the way back home to Fort Worth. The trip (I discovered that AAA has the Trip-Tik ONLINE now --...
  14. maroonfrog1

Addicted to Torque: Top 10 Diesels We Want in the U.S. Now

... virtually thumbing Motor Trend for diesel news, I had to grin after coming across this article: http://wot.motortrend.com/addicted-to-torque-top-10-diesels-we-want-in-the-u-s-now-207399.html 'cause I am now addicted to torque, one year into TDI ownership.
  15. maroonfrog1

Wild Hair

OK - so the closer I get to 50, the more I've been wanting to begin a project that will take me years, cost me money, keep me away enough from my wife that I won't drive her nuts, and prove a point. Here's the idea: Buy a 1951 Pontiac Chieftain from a fellow here in North Texas, bring the body...
  16. maroonfrog1

VCDS bluetooth unit

I've had an Adroid phone for a few months now, and have been reading about Torque and other apps available for Android that can provide real-time info on an Android phone while you drive via Bluetooth. It's easy for me to find an ELM327-chip-based bluetooth scanner online, but they all say...
  17. maroonfrog1

Arduino interface with Audi signal bus

All: I have been teaching my teenager how to program an Arduino Uno board to control and take input from microphones, light sources, servomotors, and other stuff we can wire into breadboards, and I'm wondering if it's too much of a stretch to think that we can interface the Arduino with my...
  18. maroonfrog1

Radiator fan run time after shutdown

... in the "this has never happened before" category ... 2011 A3 TDI S-Line w/ 17,000 miles. I turned off the car in the driveway after probably 45 minutes of errand-running driving last night -- outside temp around 88 degrees F, no A/C on, got out, hit the security button, and kept hearing...
  19. maroonfrog1

In-Between Scan Option

... would love to find a manufacturer that makes something in between a full-tilt, ready for professional-use scanner, such as Ross-Tech, and an LED-only small line scanner, such as ScanGuage. Does anyone make a small, customizable screen the size of a cell phone touchscreen that allows for OBD...
  20. maroonfrog1

EcoMotors OPOC Engine Design

... so I'm reading an old copy of Fast Company magazine at the dentist office ... and, being a new diesel convert with my new TDI, I am drawn to an article on a company called EcoMotors. They have patents on an engine design called OPOC .. Opposed-Piston Opposed-Cylinder. Go to...