Search results

1. Blue_Hen_TDI

Owner of 3.2M Mile '66 Volvo P1800 Passes Away

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/a25165860/irv-gordon-million-mile-volvo-p1800-obituary/?fbclid=IwAR2ctqGgA6x85GOh2jAqH0uXP_YXOBCQ0jPWyisWY1RMXyy5AWobKwT7ntU So, Irv averaged 62,500 miles per year in this car. Volvo gave him another car for free, which he drove over...
  2. Blue_Hen_TDI

BlueHenTDI and Sons 2018 Midwest Road Trip

Vehicle: 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S DSG Manifest: Myself, two sons (ages 13 and 10), and about 150 lbs of gear Dates: June 22-July 2, 2018 Distance/Economy: 3,386 miles @ ~ 48.5 mpg driving 70-75 mph w/ A/C on States in order: DE>MD>PA>OH>IN>IL>IA>MN>WI>MI>OH>PA>MD>DE Sites/events...
  3. Blue_Hen_TDI

Mk7 Baby Tank 800 Mile Club

I wasn't sure if I'd ever attain it, and I don't think I ever want to try it again, but I finally nailed an 800 mile tank in my bone stock '15 GSW S DSG. I set a personal best for mpg as well. 800.4 miles 12.787 gallons 62.59 mpg The unnerving part, and the reason I'll never do this again, is...
  4. Blue_Hen_TDI

Gameplanning the Phase 2 Fix

Since questions on Phase 2 seem to come up with some frequency, I figured I'd try to summarize what is in the updated warranty booklet in one post. Hope it helps. Note: some of the information in the booklet remains ambiguous. Information is based on Page 6 of the amended warranty here...
  5. Blue_Hen_TDI

FrostHeater & Grille Block: Initial Impressions

FrostHeater: I had it installed by a local guru. I started the install myself and then got cold feet when I got to the hose splice portion, so I decided to leave it to a pro. The guru knocked it out in 1.5 hours, half of which was tweaking the mounting bracket. It's fine as it ships, but it...
  6. Blue_Hen_TDI

License plate light

I meant to ask this months ago but am just finally remembering to. My stop-sale “new” 2015 GSW has led lighting for the rear plate. My 2016 GTI had incandescent, which I upgraded to led. Was this a model year downgrade for 2016? I was just curious if the dealer had upgraded my 2015 or if...
  7. Blue_Hen_TDI

Lighting Pkg Swap

I own a GTI with factory lighting package option (i.e. adaptive bi-xenons) and a GSW S with halogens. I will almost certainly be parting with the GTI before the TDI, so when that time comes, how difficult/plausible would it be to swap the headlights between the two cars? I own VCDS and don’t...
  8. Blue_Hen_TDI

$60K for a Civic

A Civic Type R that is. $25k market adjustment. :p Yes, you can be the first on your block to own a fwd only STI copycat for the price of a Corvette Stingray. Ain't she a beut?
  9. Blue_Hen_TDI

2015 GSW DSG Gearing

I have been pleasantly overwhelmed so far by the mileage in my '15 GSW w/ DSG. I wanted a 6M but couldn't find one and felt that I was settling when I bought the DSG. I had in my mind that the 6M had a taller 6th gear, but that is not correct. The DSG actually has a taller 6th gear, a...
  10. Blue_Hen_TDI

2-Door GTI Axed in the US

2-Door GTI Reportedly to be Axed in the US http://jalopnik.com/the-two-door-volkswagen-gti-is-dead-in-america-1786577333
  11. Blue_Hen_TDI

I'm Finally Back in a VW

After trading my '12 Passat TDI for a '14 Focus ST, I am finally and thankfully back in a VW, this time a GTI (S, 4-dr, 6M, performance and lighting packages - a very hard combo to find without ordering). They're giving these things away right now. Sticker was $28,905 and I got it for $22,720...
  12. Blue_Hen_TDI

FS: Genuine Ross-Tech VCDS Micro-CAN

***SOLD*** -$200 OBO -Like-new condition; 100% functionality -Selling because I traded my 2012 TDI -Prefer face-to-face transaction in my travel footprint DE, DMV, Baltimore, or Philly -Will consider PayPal & shipping if no local buyers come forward, but locals bump you in the dibs list
  13. Blue_Hen_TDI

Nervous About My Engine

Hi Guys, This is technically a double post from the used oil analysis (UOA) thread, but I wanted to get some input from my fellow NMS drivers. I just got back my 40K UOA and my wear metals, particularly aluminum, chromium, and iron, are going the wrong way and have been for 20K miles. The...
  14. Blue_Hen_TDI

Ford Focus ST

Anyone own (or know someone who owns) one of these? I am in the market. I've been quoted $4,800 under MSRP on one with the top of the line package with full leather heated Recaros, bi-xenon lamps, nav, all the goodies, etc. They get 32 highway, which is pretty good for a car with 252 hp/270...
  15. Blue_Hen_TDI

My DSG was Towed

I parked it nose in, so they would have had to pull it backward first to get it on a flatbed. Can I expect any sort of damage? I'm going to pick it up in a few, as soon as my ride arrives. Dammit.
  16. Blue_Hen_TDI

Now With Hood Struts

Saw this over on Myturbodiesel.com. Looks like VW made a mid-year add of a pneumatic hood strut to the NMS. Want. Must have. Retrofitters get cracking! :p.
  17. Blue_Hen_TDI

Tire Warranty

I mentioned in another thread (TPMS thread) that my tire warning light came on last weekend. The right front was down about 8 psi. I aired up and reset the system. All was well until today. The warning came on again. At the next off ramp, I noticed the car handling poorly so stopped and got...
  18. Blue_Hen_TDI

Lesson Learned: Snow Removal

I had a moment of brilliance this morning. There was about an inch of wet, slushy snow on the Passat. I needed to put something in the trunk. When I opened the trunk, the slush from both the trunk and the rear window broke loose at the same time and went through the funnel formed by the trunk...
  19. Blue_Hen_TDI

Doing My Own 10K Service

Since I'm not a fan of VW service departments and want peace of mind, I'm taking the plunge this weekend. Was hoping for a quick sanity check. 1. The oil filter I got from VW is part number 03L115562. This is correct, no? 2. Is there any issue with unscrewing the torx bolt at the top of...