Search results

1. Steve Addy

B4 Parts request before I place a WTB ad

Awesome Elias - post up more pics as it gets closer to completion. I take it everything worked out fine with the front suspension conversion? Steve
  2. Steve Addy

The "What did you do to your B4 today" thread...

Installed group 49A battery today in the B3V conversion, it fit in the space with a little room to spare. I think it's 13.5" wide, cable length was not a problem either, then again I might be using Mk3 cables. This is not an AGM battery although I think have a group 49 or comparable AGM coming...
  3. Steve Addy

B4 v-belt removal

PS mounting is identical between gas and diesel for the 4 cylinder engines except for bracket 18 which is only slightly different. The spring loaded alternator bracket is for a different setup that I don't believe we got here in the US. Steve
  4. Steve Addy

Another one bites the dust

They go fast...always. Personally I like the European ones that are white reflector only, the marker lights don't do anything for me. There's a host of parts that go quickly, and the corner markers, the turn sigs and reflector inserts as well as the fog lamps and lower grille are all big demand...
  5. Steve Addy

Two 96 Passat TDI cars at Summit IL Pick n Pull

You can't really do much about looking at what parts are left, the yard is a Upull yard and once they place it in the yard they're basically done with it until it leaves around 30-45 days later. You can see them as they were when they arrived by going to Row52.com and searching for them...
  6. Steve Addy

Around here they still allow the sale of airbags, there's no restriction on that yet, but I would guess that at some point it'll become an issue. And similarly they don't restrict the sale of seats with bags either...for now. Steve
  7. Steve Addy

Most JY's are now punching tanks in preparation for placing vehicles in the yard. It's local practice here and it just means one more part that can't sold and that tanks on the market are limited to what's out there. You can still find tanks at other full service JY's, that's how I did mine on...
  8. Steve Addy

replacing injection pump seals

Never suggested replacing distributor head seal required removing the pump, but neither does it require removing the top cover either. You can tell when the pump is at the top of the cam lobes without pulling the cover. The point of my post was that replacement of one seal on a pump where all...
  9. Steve Addy

LC3T is rare both in the Mk3 (Indian Red) and especially the B4 cars (red pearl). Most B4's are green, followed by storm grey and white, then comes windsor blue, satin silver, black magic, tornado red, twilight violet and finally red pearl. This is all based on my exposure and just...
  10. Steve Addy

That's unfortunate, red pearl is a rather rare color for B4 cars and that's a wagon. What color is the interior? Yes, a September 96 production would be a 97 model year. Steve
  11. Steve Addy

replacing injection pump seals

First, the 'front' of the pump is facing the passenger side of the car...because the engine is sitting transversely in the car. So, if the 'leak' is on the side of the pump below the black box with wires then it's not the QA it's one of the injection timing advance cover seals that's leaking...
  12. Steve Addy

1996 Passat B4S Parts

I didn't realize you were back in TX! I was wondering how it was going, been a few years since we spoke. Steve
  13. Steve Addy

1Z motor hard cranks forever before starting... help

If you don't have them, add one-way valves to the fuel lines to eliminate fuel from draining back when shut off. Also, I would add clear fuel lines from the fuel filter assembly to the IP to be able to see whether there's any air in the system when you start cranking. Use good quality FI hose...
  14. Steve Addy

1997 Jetta won't glow/won't cold start

In temps above 40F the engine GP's don't operate anyway, but the engine should still start. If it's not starting then I would suggest that there's a timing issue that is preventing it from starting. I would check cam / crank and IP alignment and see if that's in order, if it is and it still...
  15. Steve Addy

Bypass oil filter, Mk3 Jetta?

I always drain the pan first, and I've never had it siphon off the filter, always makes a mess, and I let the pan drain completely before going after the filter. Steve
  16. Steve Addy

Exactly what I do, avoids all the nasty overflow while you're trying to get it unscrewed. Best thing is to bag it while unscrewing it...and the best bag I've found for that is old bread bags. Big enough to go around the filter but not big enough to bunch up like a plastic grocery sack. And the...
  17. Steve Addy

High Load / Low RPM = Economy?

Maybe I'm not plugging the one in on the Dakota for long enough. I think it's a 1000 watt unit. I have another, a 1500 watt but I was going to put that on the 6.5TD. Steve
  18. Steve Addy

The OE filter fitted to the AHU / 1Z was the smaller diameter 840/2 (068115561E) filter. The older diesel engines CR, ME, MF, 1Y etc all called for the larger 940/25 (068115561B) filter, which does fit without any problem, so many just use the larger filter on the AHU/1Z engines too. For anyone...
  19. Steve Addy

High Load / Low RPM = Economy?

Todd is that with passive or active circulation? I have a hard time believing that these heaters can actually generate some circulation without a pump but I guess it's possible. Steve
  20. Steve Addy

Anyone else have disappearing posts?

I've not had any recently, then again I haven't been around as much due to other things, but the little bit that I've done haven't noticed anything going away! Still trying to remember the content of the post that did vanish...bits and pieces but nothing of consequence. Also trying to remember...