Search results

1. T

My 2004 Passat TDI Sedan is Finally up for sale! See Pics!

161K miles, chainless, newly overhauled automatic transmission, almost new run flat tires, enthusiast maintained and upgraded. Look at the pictures and you can see what great shape this car is in. I am the original owner. Title is clean. Never been in an accident. Asking $6,000. Send me an...
  2. T

Is this the end of my TDI?

I just got the diagnosis today. Transmission needs to be rebuilt. Engine runs great. It is chainless and reliable with 160,000 miles on it. It will likely be a $3,000 rebuild. Now what? The value of a 2004 in the market just doesn't seem to warrant the investment. I would love some thoughts...
  3. T

Torque Converter replacement

Based on a lot of reading on this forum, I have concluded that a torque converter replacement is the way to go. I have the 17125 P0741 code, and I have recently noticed the odd behavior associated with an unlocking TC. I have not seen a how-to for the Passat, though. If I am missing it then...
  4. T

Limp mode experiment

Traveling down the highway in limp mode I can max speed about 72 mph. I have a 16683 under boost code. If I clear the code while driving, I get about 10-25 seconds of boost until it lays flat again. I shot a video of this but I don't know how to post it on here. I did this repeatedly on a...
  5. T

Oil leak from head gasket

I have read on other posts that this is not common. However, I am focused on the rear of the engine where oil leaks are normally associated with the tandem pump gasket. I discovered the leak and changed the tandem pump gasket. There is still a leak. I took the following pictures during the...
  6. T

Transmission Slipping

I have been experiencing some slipping in my automatic transmission, particularly in the 3-4 shift. After experiencing it, I changed the transmission fluid. It seemed to help a little, but it is still slipping. Is there a rebuild kit for these transmissions? I have read some other posts that...
  7. T

Rear Defrost Inoperable

My rear defroster is not working. The fuse is fine. I have power to the switch. The light on the switch turns on and off when pressed. The defroster just does not work. Does anyone have a wiring diagram so I can diagnose? I would test the switch further, but I didn't want to attempt to...
  8. T

Just went chainless...Thanks

While taking some time off last week I finally did the work to replace the BSM and TB. I just wanted to thank this forum for all of the discussion and how-to's. The job went really well with only one real snag. I bought the lock carrier pins (the ones with the big red balls on the end)...
  9. T

White Smoke Need Diagnosis

My car is pushing out a ton of white smoke and loses coolant quickly. I would like to diagnose this so I am asking for help. The car ran fine on a 60 mile trip my wife took yesterday. She pulled into a parking lot at a supermarket. After coming out of the supermarket she started the car to see...
  10. T

Crankshaft seal Installation

I am about to hit 100K miles and I am planning to do the BSM and TB. I have been reading the many posts and procedures. I am comfortable with all of it and I am an experienced home mechanic. Is it necessary to install the crank seal using the recommended tool or can I install the seal while I...
  11. T

Engine Groan-like noise at 90K Miles

Lately I get a "Groan" from my engine as it passes through from 1400 RPMs to 2000 RPMs. I have ruled out axles as the problem because it occurs at a standstill or while driving. Basically, you hear normal engine sound as you accelerate and then it takes a different tone. After 2,000 RPMs the...