Search results

1. G Men 08

Potential buyer concerned with engine noise...

2003 Golf, 5spd manual, Frank rebuilt head less than 20k miles ago. At the same time I did the timing belt and turbo. Buddy of mine is considering buying the car and he took it for a drive. Only concern he has is he thinks the engine is abnormally loud. I've never thought so, it is noisy but...
  2. G Men 08

Rough Idle and Loss of 3-5mpg after egr replacement?

I replaced my EGR valve due to the insufficient flow CEL. Good news is that the CEL is gone, and she passed inspection! Bad news is that for the first 30 seconds or so after the engine starts, the idle fluctuates roughly 100rpm, as well as a mpg decrease of around 3mpg+? I've only went...
  3. G Men 08

Considering selling the Golf

We have baby number 2 on the way in October so I need something bigger, and I have been eying a new truck for quite some time. As with the rest of you, I have put a TON of time and money into this car in order to get it where she is right now. Below I will list everything that has been done in...
  4. G Men 08

Clutch slipping or??

Somewhat of a weird issue I have never came across before. In first gear, and first gear only I have to somewhat "slip" the clutch a little to get the car to start rolling. After that it is fine with absolutely no issues. If I am on a hill, and/or the car is weighed down with extra people/gear...
  5. G Men 08

Quick side veiw mirror ?

My drivers side mirror is about to fall off of the door. I found a local part out with a mirror housing and assembly but the one he has is electrical adjusting. Mine is mechanical. Can I Frankenstein the two directly or wont it work together?
  6. G Men 08

For those of you with the Atlas skid plate..

How well does it actually fit, and sit against the rear end of the subframe? I bought brand new OEM side shields with my skid plate. When I tighten the bolts into the brackets, it compresses the side shields up about 1/4' or better. The rear/center mounting point, even with the nylon washer...
  7. G Men 08

Rear Axle beam bushings.. Which ones?

I've found OEM rubber, Poweflex urethane, and the 034 units. If I am going to fight with these things to replace them, I will certainly get an upgrade over stock. 034 are out of the question due to the $250 price tag. I like the powerflex, but wanted some opinions from others with experience...
  8. G Men 08

Wagon rear shock Question..

I received my struts and shocks today, went with the wagon rears for a little extra height on my Golf. I open the box and find the shock, and what appears to be a spacer/washer of some sort but I have no idea if I need it? Or where it goes. Any input?
  9. G Men 08

Today's project: Golf Country Too...

This is my attempt at making my little fuel sipper as functional as possible through any weather conditions within reason! What we are starting with... The goodies to accessorize... Struts and shocks will be in the mail today, heading to the auto parts store now to grab spring compressor...
  10. G Men 08

Replaced a body drain plug...

What do you guys use as an undercoating to seal the flange of the seal to the body of the car? Just any old undercoating from the local Lowes or should I find something else?
  11. G Men 08

Yay, another egr thread...

Car in question is a 2003 VW golf. Recent maintenance includes new turbo rebuilt head clean intake manifold and egr cooler etc timing belt and all components. Before I did the maintenance, i did not have the code. Afterwards I do. While driving today I realized today that my inspection ran...
  12. G Men 08

Ugh.. Never ending!

I wont bore you with complaints about how I have had to replace everything that goes wrong with these cars within the first 6 months of ownership. My 03 golf has manual, crank windows. The other day I went to roll the drivers side down, the hand crank skipped and I had no response from the...
  13. G Men 08

Anyone use these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FITS-99-04-GOLF-GTi-TDI-MK4-MKIV-BUMPER-SMOKED-FOG-LIGHTS-w-SWITCH-BULBS-BRAKET-/201118215266?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AGolf&hash=item2ed3946c62&vxp=mtr Seems like a decent unit for a reasonable price. Im curious if anyone has used them and how...
  14. G Men 08

Is there an "upgraded" Glovebox?

My glovebox fell to submission of broken pin mounts like many others have. I pulled the entire glovebox and peeled the front skin off, found both pins, and one of the broken pieces of the pin mounts, but not the other. I am sure I could use some sort of glue or epoxy to hold one side together...
  15. G Men 08

Pet barrier options...

I am in the process of turning my 4 door Golf into the perfect versatile vehicle. Hitch assembly is on its way. My next idea is a barrier, or other options for my dog(s). 9 times out of 10 we would be traveling with just 1 pooch. Our largest k-9 friend is a 1 year old Great Pyranese moose...
  16. G Men 08

Injector pump on its way out?

You can hear something similar to a power steering whine. It is no where near as loud but if you listen closely you can hear the noise. Is there anything that can be done to save the IP? FWIW I am also getting the p1538 code after I had an issue with my engine quitting today as I tried to make...
  17. G Men 08

Pardon my ignorance..

But is the 109 relay, and N109 solenoid the same thing? Long story short, my car died on me once today, then again about 20 times within 10 miles so I could get home. Scanned and got the 1538 code which is Fuel Shutoff Solenoid (N109): Car would fire right up immediately. No hard...
  18. G Men 08

Sratching my head with these door locks!

First let me start off that I haven't had an issue with my regular door locks since I've owned the car. Just recently I acquired a remote and flip key from sidewinder (finally!!!!) So before that I just had the (news to me thanks to Mark) valet "NAA" regular key. I always used that to manually...
  19. G Men 08

VAGTacho

Does anyone have one I can rent from them, or know where I can rent one. I am going to buy a set from Sidewinder, a new remote and cut flip key. But need the vagtacho for my key code.