Search results

1. G Men 08

Potential buyer concerned with engine noise...

Ok, thanks fellas. Kind of thought the same thing! Now the real question, do I REALLY want to sell her? lol.
  2. G Men 08

Potential buyer concerned with engine noise...

2003 Golf, 5spd manual, Frank rebuilt head less than 20k miles ago. At the same time I did the timing belt and turbo. Buddy of mine is considering buying the car and he took it for a drive. Only concern he has is he thinks the engine is abnormally loud. I've never thought so, it is noisy but...
  3. G Men 08

Rough Idle and Loss of 3-5mpg after egr replacement?

Alright, thanks cobra. Changed the oil and rotated the tires for winter, only 27psi. Oops. Bumped them up to 37.
  4. G Men 08

These engines are obviously loud. Looking for a vacuum/intake leak is nearly impossible (by listening). Any advice or tricks on how to find where the potential leak is?
  5. G Men 08

Adjusted the QA today. at warm engine idle it was floating between 1.2 and 1.4 mg/stk. Now it is around 4.5.
  6. G Men 08

Rotate the injector pump pulley, right? I switched the egr duty cycle last night from factory setting of 32xxx to 33xxx. This morning I head out for work and the engine starts fine with no rpm division
  7. G Men 08

Going through with vagcom now. No codes. At idle (903 rpm and holding steadily, warm engine) Maf actual 490-500 mg/st (specified 255) N18 solenoid 4.8%
  8. G Men 08

80 Miles less on this tank of fuel?!! Same driving style and location as always. Any other input? I am not finding anything out of the ordinary, the car drives fine. Which values and blocks should I check VIA vagcom?
  9. G Men 08

usually 11.5-12.5 gallons. Non vented (that I know of) I lost MPG when I put the lift and snow tires on the ole girl:(
  10. G Men 08

There is not a clamp or anything on the vacuum line going to the EGR valve. Maybe the old EGR vacuum fitting had a residue/buildup on it which helped "seal" the connection. Whereas the new one is clean and polished so there isn't a very good seal, when the engine/vacuum line is cold. due to the...
  11. G Men 08

I just verified that the EGR valve diaphragm opens at around 7in vacuum, and progressively opens and holds with more vacuum. All hardware is tight, and I did use new gaskets (paper and metal) for new EGR replacement. Both of the vacuum hoses are installed, one on the ASV, the other for the EGR...
  12. G Men 08

Yes UhOh, when the car has sat for a period of time. I'll have to dig out vag com as well to check the egr valve function. Hopefully I get the time to check it with my mityvac tomorrow.
  13. G Men 08

Vacuum hoses will be checked and verified here shortly. And to clarify, the rough idle is only for the first 30 seconds or so after a cold start up. It never did this until I replaced the EGR valve.
  14. G Men 08

The intake and all components was cleaned, timing belt was done, new turbo, rebuilt head, oil/coolant seals o rings and gaskets all replaced within the last 15k miles. Fuel filter was done maybe 2k miles ago. The old egr valve looked great, other than oily residue. I believe that I ruined the...
  15. G Men 08

I replaced my EGR valve due to the insufficient flow CEL. Good news is that the CEL is gone, and she passed inspection! Bad news is that for the first 30 seconds or so after the engine starts, the idle fluctuates roughly 100rpm, as well as a mpg decrease of around 3mpg+? I've only went...
  16. G Men 08

Rate your lifted wagon setup.

If you are planning on the two inch lift, be aware that the front suspension is rock solid. It consumes a lot of the spring travel. When you go over bumps or pot holes it hits extremely hard and doesn't absorb much at all.
  17. G Men 08

stripping an ALH+5 speed car at junkyard,lots of questions

These cars are relatively cheap at the moment, why not just sell yours and buy a manual? Just curious.
  18. G Men 08

215's on 03 TDI?

im running 205 70 15 on mine with the 2-3 inch lift and its fine.
  19. G Men 08

Considering selling the Golf

hmm, all excellent thoughts and bits of advice. I would certainly have a hard time getting rid of it, especially for anything under $5500. Going below that number just wouldn't make sense. With the amount of fuel savings I get from the golf, in comparison to anything else I am considering, it...