Search results

1. E

Alternator and electrical diagnosis

So after doing a lot of research and testing I'm finding more questions than answers. I tested my alternator and voltage running and loaded was 14.59 V , with a diode reading of 460 / 2.8. I figured it was excessive voltage and a bad rectifier. Can't remember what my AC readings were, if any...
  2. E

Blew the turbo, revert to VNT 15 or a new VNT 17

This morning I blew my turbo getting on the interstate. Engine started to run away and oil spilled out when I disconnected the lower boost hose. I have not been able to achieve the desired fuel economy since I installed the 17 and have been considering reverting to the 15 and putting a smaller...
  3. E

Clutch choice with stage 4 tune and dual mass flywheel

Running a Malone Stage 4 tune and 1019 nozzles Garrett VNT 17 turbo and 11mm pump After running a single mass flywheel for a year and loosing 5th gear I decided to go back to a dual mass flywheel and get rid of the chatter. Trying to Figure out if I should run the LUK clutch pressure plate and...
  4. E

ALH Shut down on the off ramp intermittent

So a few times now my ALH has randomly shut down on the off ramp. I replaced the crank sensor as this is the only thing I can think might cause this issue. This has happened 4 times now and last time it lasted the longest. I had to crank it a few times before it would start again. After it's...
  5. E

Shut down on the off ramp intermittent

So a few times now my ALH has randomly shut down on the off ramp. I replaced the crank sensor as this is the only thing I can think might cause this issue. This has happened 4 times now and last time it lasted the longest. I had to crank it a few times before it would start again. After it's...
  6. E

My zerostart heater install

I looked at the options and decided to build my own Zerostart heater kit. The one I'll be installing has a one-way valve. I've seen threads where the zerostart kit was ordered from Frostheater.com and a thread where a guy used a heater similar to mine and removed the valve to install it inline...
  7. E

Key programming issue mkiv 2003/02

So I'm working on programming my keys using both VAGtacho and VagCom. I've used tacho it get code as described and then attempted to program keys. Every attempt has failed. Look at field 21 in basic setting and wait for time to count down to zero, still no luck... Using Tacho and vcds following...
  8. E

Air bag control, is it specific to the car or ecu?

So I swapped the ecu and engine into the 1.8T without thinking much about the airbag computer. It has a code popping for airbag memory and I have no clue what the one on the original tdi was. VAG-COM pulls the following, what do I do to get that dang memory thing solved? ; VCDS Label File ; ...
  9. E

One suggestion for photos

Hey, after doing a couple writeups involving quite a few pictures, I would like to know if it's possible to get the photo upload to upload and change out all photos in a thread with TDIclub thumb nails. It's not an option now, however, uploading all photos from a website is. Not sure what it...
  10. E

ARRRR!! Pirated Plug release tool design, ARRRR!!

Here goes, my own tool fabbed up. This is something I saw another member show how to make, whom I don't know. Not taking credit for the initial design. A plug I have access to to see the lock lever end you're trying to get under. A piece of metal from a windshield wiper blade over the plug...
  11. E

New cat back straight pipe affects on boost

Hey y'all, just had a 2.5" straight pipe from the cat back installed and did a little logging to compare before actual to after actual effects of the change. The change was to remove the OEM resonator and muffler and replace it with a 2.5" straight pipe, Sounds mean and a little loud for my...
  12. E

!!! Vw oem cold air intake !!!

Welcome to the !!! OEM COLD AIR INTAKE !!! Below is the best possible routing and design for a cold air intake on a VW MK4 unless modified to some ungodly HP! Reality is that having a vacuum within the air box for air to expand into cools it down. This is accomplished by utilizing a sealed box...
  13. E

Grey rain tray pinout please, what passes through it to cause k1 short to ground

I am doing a swap ALH to a 1.8t and trying to keep that thread somewhat clean so I'm asking here for what should be a basic question. What components and wires pass through the grey T10 connector? Wires car side are color coded the same and I have contacted except the plug below, where ever the...
  14. E

ok, so where's this red plug go?

I am not remembering where this plugs in. Blah, take it all apart and have such simple issues putting it back together. Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk
  15. E

Injector nozzles IBW and DBW please chime in

I am looking into new injector nozzles and over the years have remembered reading a bit about the benefits. Not sure exactly what injectors are in the car, however, my impression is that they're smaller nozzles like the .502's based on the performance of the original Malone tune installed and...
  16. E

Asheville, NC A4 mkiv wagon part out.

The car is totaled so not all body parts are good and everything needed for a swap to a gasser is spoken for along with the dash trim and glovebox. Driver side was on the ground so the doors have damage on that side, however, passenger side are good and so is the rear hatch. Fuel pick up was...
  17. E

TDI swap T14 and cluster questions Help Please!

Okay I am looking at the cluster wiring and the pinout from VDUBSPEED trying to decipher what I actually have to do to get this TDI Cluster in a 1.8T chassis. my thread is here and I have the photos in the third post http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=5432146#post5432146 Below is the...
  18. E

Tdi swap to 1.8T wagon project

I just picked up a 1.8T Wagon and will be swapping my ALH into it. This should be a fun project [emoji41] At least I have something to look forward to! I get the joy of transplanting my: Engine, manual trans and shift lever, radio, column covers headliner, lower dash, and the cluster; as...
  19. E

I killed the unicorn, questions about Passat's

I totalled my wagon today! Looking for a replacement for my engine and wondering the difference in the mounts and whatnot. I know that the Golf is the same, however, I have read nothing about the Passat. I want to take all of the upgraded parts and stick it in a cheap gasser. Sent from my...
  20. E

Gear oil, 75w90 or 75w140

So looking at idparts for gear oil and I see that they have 75w90 and 75w140. Is there any benefit to the 75w140? I'm not sure what to think, thinking maybe I could get 2 of the 75w90 and one of the 75w140 if there's any benefit. Curious what the concensus is on using the higher weight at any...