Search results

1. F

Strange 100rpm surges when the car is warmed up (belt slipping?)

Nice. Now I'm picturing someone pouring Italian dressing on their engine. Never even heard of belt dressing before. Guess I'll stop by the auto parts store and pick up a can. I suppose it can't hurt, and should be less than $10. My main concern was that this might be a sign of some larger...
  2. F

Strange 100rpm surges when the car is warmed up (belt slipping?)

To make a long story as short as I can, every week I have to drive 3-4 hours on Friday, then another 3-4 hours on Sunday. In the last hour of the trip I've started getting some strange behavior. The RPM indicator shows the engine is revving by 100 RPM, and I'm not sure if I'm hearing a tiny...
  3. F

Bad smell. Exhast blowing in via my AC vents? Windshield wiper fluid burning?

It's been a while since I posted this. I gave it a week then took it back to the shop after not seeing any responses. I was planning on driving to Ft. Lauderdale to visit relatives for XMas, wanted to find out what the deal was before it was too late. Took the car in on a Thursday, Friday...
  4. F

Unknown issues with my 2010 Jetta CJAA, not diagnosed yet.

Aside from the head the turbo actuator, intake manifold, and part of the exhaust had to be replaced. Total repair bill from that shop alone was just under $6k. When tow truck, diagnostic at the dealership, and 6 weeks of rental car are added in it came to just over $7k. There may or may not...
  5. F

Bad smell. Exhast blowing in via my AC vents? Windshield wiper fluid burning?

I recently had my cylinder head and intake replaced, as documented here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=424790 A day or two after I got my car back I left for work. I have a tree near where I park and had some junk on my window, so when I got onto a main road I decided to pump some...
  6. F

I'm really happy that you can be sarcastic and laugh about other peoples' misfortunes. Every penny I'd saved all year - and then some - is gone. You want to laugh about it at least have the decency to make your own thread to laugh at the misfortunes of others. Here's what annoys me. Yeah...
  7. F

Clarification ... included in that number is the $200 I paid to the dealership for their diagnostic, $140 for the tow from the the dealership to the 3rd shop (I used my last AAA tow getting from the 1st shop to the dealership), and $750 in auto rental fees I paid (5 weeks). That's not part of...
  8. F

So ... it hopefully comes to an end here. Just spoke to the shop. After troubleshooting all the work they did on the head to make sure that was done correctly they started on the turbo. They did take it off, and found that a threaded stop screw that acts as a limiter for the vanes (that's not...
  9. F

More fun. Last week the head came in and they put it together. When they started it up they were getting error codes (Turbo boost control pressure position sensor and Intake manifold flap sensor). They checked the Intake manifold flap and at the moment I can't remember whether they found it...
  10. F

Shop rates are $110/hr at this place, and with the extra labor of replacing the engine it probably would've run $6k to $7k, which I cannot afford right now. My friend's shop rates are $50/hr or $60/hr but he doesn't want to touch a diesel. The vehicle I had before this was a truck and I...
  11. F

Sorry, been extremely busy the last two weeks. When it rains it pours. Within a week of the engine problems I also had a hard drive on my NAS crash that may also be a sign of the NAS dying, and I had a toilet leak to fix. The dealership gave me three options: $1320 labor + $4,000 OEM head...
  12. F

Oh, it's big alright: $5,100. Just got off the phone with the service guy. He says the serpentine got wound up around something, the tension caused it to jump out of timing. They put it back into timing but it still won't start and they think there's a bent valve. They want to replace the...
  13. F

Last week I had car trouble on the way home from work. I was going to wait until I had a diagnosis before I come here and post to ask for advice/opinions but at this point enough has happened that I wanted to write it all down before I forget any of it. No diagnosis has been found yet, this is...
  14. F

A5 CJAA 2010 Jetta - Does this car use AdBlue / DEF?

My owners manual finally came in, spent a few hours today reading different things and then working out what work needs to be done from the maintenance schedule. One thing on there was, "AdBlue Fluid: Check level and add if necessary (3.0L TDI only)". The note says this needs to be done every...
  15. F

NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

I find it very interesting that the data appear to show a three month cycle. That might narrow down the problem to a supplier, if VW rotates suppliers. I'm curious how accurate this is though. I mean ... on one hand I'm happy that my car was built 09/09, as that falls in a month where there...
  16. F

***Official maintenance schedule for your VW [PDFs inside]***

Fixmy59bug: Thank you for posting these. I recently purchased a user's manual for the 2010 Jetta TDI I purchased used but the information in it wasn't listed in this format, which made it harder to picture what the maintenance schedule should look like past 120K miles. Mine is now at 149K so I...
  17. F

How would you rate the speed of TDIClub?

Who is your Internet Service Provider (ISP)/location: Brighthouse Networks, Tampa FL Time of day when testing was done(Pacific time): Any time of day What kind of connection are you using: Cable/DSL at home, corporate LAN at work How often do you encounter slow pages on TDIClub: Always. Every...
  18. F

General questions about glow plugs

Thanks for the info. How exactly would I measure that? At the harness, with the GP attached?
  19. F

General questions about glow plugs

Hi all, This is my first VW and my first diesel so I know very little about the design on these. I visited a local TDI member with a VAGCOM to see what codes were on my car, and this is one of the things that came up: Address 01: Engine (CJA) Labels: 03L-906-022-CBE.clb Part No SW...
  20. F

I'm concerned in a possbile change in performance. Would appreciate some input.

Okay, that sounds like some of the information I was looking for, and guessing on. Do you know how to switch the display between the two trip-averaging modes? I know how to switch it from the 2-second update to the trip average but didn't see anything indicating the third selection when I was...