Search results

1. MOGolf

Wheel bearing Replacement

I didn't find that we had a procedure for replacing the wheel bearings. The VW procedure is excessively complex for the front bearing. It can be simpler. I created a PDF describing how to replace the wheels bearings. The PDF covers rear and front bearings. Passat Wheel Bearing Replacement PDF...
  2. MOGolf

Another method of filling the cooling system

Pictured below is the VAS 6096 tool. Besides this tool, you'll need a compressed air supply at 85-145 psi, and an appropriate adapter for the expansion tank (the silver part that is screwed into the tank). The piece shown here is the VAG 1274/10 that fits the cars since the A4 platform...
  3. MOGolf

Biodiesel in Newark Ohio

I almost got whiplash. As I drove south on N. Union St from Main St. there was a banner proclaiming biodiesel fuel available. I had to pull in and investigate. Englefield Oil Co., the local BP distributor that runs the Duke/Duchess and AM/PM locations in central OH, has opened a commercial...
  4. MOGolf

Anatomy of an engine mount

As I reported in this thread of what to look for when an engine mount fails, you might wonder what can fail in these mounts. There are no moving parts other than the compression/decompression caused by the engine vibrations, and engine mass moving as the car moves. This is a profile of a...
  5. MOGolf

Tightening the PD intake joints

I've been running this for quite awhile now. Orignally whitedog produced the "doggie collar" to address the intake coupling coming loose. However, there are other joints with the same coupling design, but no way to use the collar. While at a big box hardware store, I got an inspiration or...
  6. MOGolf

Interest in Rearguard for Passat Variant?

Disclaimer: I have no connection with the company. I am not a vendor of parts. This is just a query of a "group buy". Company site: http://www.rearguards.co.uk Product: I have one on my car (as seen above), and another member will soon have one on his. I've been asked if it would be...
  7. MOGolf

Happy anniversary BSM replacement!

Happy anniversary! One year ago this weekend, I packed up tools and instuctions and headed to Cardoc Automotive where oilhammer works. He provided a nice large, well-lit shop, more tools, hands, and experience. Together we took apart my Passat, removed the offending chain driven balance...
  8. MOGolf

A tour of power relay 219

Here's a tour of the power relay 219 in the B5.5 Passat TDI. Note the two contacts in the relay. One is obscured by the blue plastic. If you unhook the spring you can gain access to the contact surface and clean as necessary. I found quite a bit of oxidation had formed on the...
  9. MOGolf

How To: repair rear washer rotating nozzle

On the Golf sedan, Golf/Bora/Jetta Variant/Estate/wagon, and Passat Variant/Estate/wagon models the rear washer nozzle is supposed to be in a fixed position. If yours rotates with the wiper, or you get no washer fluid out of the nozzle, you have a problem. The latter case may be that the water...
  10. MOGolf

How to: repair washer hose connections

The windshield washers on my Golf stopped "working". Pump worked. Fluid there, but nothing came out. Alas the connectors in the tubing blew apart. I put them back together, but they blew apart again. Here's how to fix them with updated parts that lock together. You need two each of...
  11. MOGolf

How to: replace metal door trim piece

A few of us have had the rear door trim piece come loose at the front edge. Opening the rear door causes the trim to catch on the front door and bend. :mad: Here's how to fix: Obtain the replacement part. 3B0 853 753 D GRU (left) or 3B0 853 754 D GRU (right). It is two pieces. The metal...
  12. MOGolf

How to: replace power outlet light

Some of the power outlets in these cars have lighted lenses around them. These have small 1.2W bulbs (newest ones on some models use LEDs). The assembly is designed to open for bulb replacement, but if your luck is like mine it will break. Tape held it for awhile, but that lost its stickiness...
  13. MOGolf

How to: Eliminate Headlight Shake

The headlights on the B5.5 stick out away from the lock carrier so much that they are poorly supported. This leads to headlight shake syndrome. The more the engine shakes the car, the more this is evident. Possible causes are bad motor mount(s), out of sync balance shafts due to chain stretch...
  14. MOGolf

Center console removal

By popular request here's the procedure. Added to the "How To" sticky of this forum too. Removing the Passat center console PDF
  15. MOGolf

How-to: Repair the air filter snow screen

For those of us that prefer to keep a snow screen, the original snow screen of the B5.5 air filter box tears easily. Note holes around the edges in the picture. VW's ETKA does not list the correct replacement part for this screen. That leaves us to figure out a solution for ourselves. This...
  16. MOGolf

2004-5 Passat relay panels

Blocked from view by the instrument panel trim in front the driver's knees are two relay panels. The large panel is easy to see. The smaller panel is hidden behind it. These panels also contain fuses. Larger version are available in the gallery, or save to your local computer and view...
  17. MOGolf

How To: Bluetooth phone/radio interface

For those of you looking for a cheap mod, stop reading this thread now. This modification is for a 04-05 Passat already equipped with multi-function steering wheel. Parts needed: Bluetooth interface kit (purchased from www.1stvwparts.com). It is a Parrot CK3000 kit variation. cruise/phone...
  18. MOGolf

B5/B5.5 specific how-to threads/posts

I'm starting this thread to document "How To" threads/posts for items that are specific to cars of this forum. I'll add others to this post as they become available. If you know of others, let me know. Only threads/posts hosted here at TDICLUB are to be included. The threads/posts should...
  19. MOGolf

How To: lock carrier service position

This is my preferred method of putting the B5.5 lock carrier into the service position. Have the front of the car up on ramps, or the car on a lift. This will make it easier when you access retainers underneath. With T25 Torx - Remove three horizontal screws and... one vertical wheel well...
  20. MOGolf

BHW Balance Shaft Module replacement

This thread is only for this topic. If you want to post about your car makng noises, see the links to other threads below and post in one of them. As we learned from bad experiences, the BHW engine was equipped with at the factory with a chain driven balance shaft module. Chains and tensioners...