Search results

1. 0

Age is catching up to the '11.

Hey all! So the '11 in my sig is not my daily commuter and most of our weekend dart around town time is in my E-Golf so I don't get to ride in it too terribly often. I noticed over the past 6-8 months that the engine vibration and clunking on start was progressively getting worse, then I...
  2. 0

2011 JSW getting a new engine wiring harness.

So the '11 lit up the CEL the other day, no drivability issues noted. Other half dropped the car off yesterday morning, 3 hours in they mention glow plug issue and they set up a loaner saying to check back in tomorrow. Just received update that cause is a wiring harness issue which was...
  3. 0

2011 JSW - yet another leaking panoramic.

So it has been a solid 8-9 months since my multiple posts on the very problematic pano roof on my now departed 2012 JSW that ended up spending almost a solid month in the shop for new headliner, new carpet, new drains and ultimately some body shop work to fix the roof leaks. It was shortly...
  4. 0

Ditched the 2012 for a 2016 e-Golf

So after realizing my 2012 Sportwagen was not appropriate for my commute and usage (7-8k miles per year), not to mention the fact it has been in the shop probably 4 weeks of the 11 months I had just decided we did not need 2 TDI wagons in the stable. My other half has commuting and driving...
  5. 0

Gassers vs diesel - short tripping terrible commute.

So YES I short trip the heck out of my car, my commute can be anywhere from 2.9 to 4.1 miles depending on the route I take and it constantly varies depending on traffic. (there are 4-5 routes I alternate depending on traffic). Morning is always the constant with the 2.9 or 3.5 mile route...
  6. 0

New tire review - Barum Bravuris 3HM

So I finally replaced the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ that came on my 2012 due to a chunk of tread the size of a finger departing the tire and causing as slow leak. The tires were installed not too long after car was turned in to VW and car sat on them while stored. They did not have the...
  7. 0

Sunroof leaks - new headliner, drain tubes and rear cargo carpet on the way.

So this past week a flat tire resulted in a flat bed tow to the dealership (wheel lock key missing), 4 new tires and discovery of a solid 3-4" of water sitting in the spare tire well. I knew of the known sunroof drain issues on these cars so I checked my spare tire well occasionally for the...
  8. 0

Tinting windshield (clear) - worth it?

So found a tint place (Glass Tiger Tinting - Lilburn, GA) that has amazing reviews so decided to get a quote as I want to get my '12 tinted before summer hits again. Top of the line Llumar CTX film is $300 for all the side windows and hatch - this is OTD price as they roll tax into that...
  9. 0

JSW to GTD Wagon - couple ?

So I have this sudden urge to turn my JSW into a GTD Wagon (yes VW did this for the Sportwagen as of MKVII) so I am looking to OEM+ my car. So it appears to go true GTD it would require suspension, steering wheel, seats, front bumper and headlights. Should I go through this OEM+...
  10. 0

8 month review - '12 TDI DSG

So with some break from work figure now would be good time to post a quick ~8 month update on the '12 in my signature - its a little under 8 months but close enough. Stats: 2012 JSW - Pano and 17" wheel package, DSG. VW CPO Purchased - 4/6/2019 Mileage - 65,667 Purchase price - $9500...
  11. 0

Replacing wiper arms - 2012 JSW

So side effect of sitting idle while my '12 was in diesel purgatory is that the black wiper arms took a sun bath beating, was not terribly noticeable 6 months ago but multiple car washes later the paint on them is starting to flake off. The arms themselves are not too terribly expensive...
  12. 0

Long crank @ only ~60F.

After months of unbearable heat here in ATL we finally cooled down starting last weekend (mid 70's day - low 60's night but going to drop to mid to low 40's next week). Well this morning it was probably 58-60 degrees (MFD said 62), hopped in turned the key and waited for warning lights to...
  13. 0

2011 vs 2012 RCD510 - BT audio streaming differences.

So have a curious question that has stumped me since we bought the 2011 JSW. But cars have the RCD-510 that look nearly identical, the 2012 has a few differences in the menu options that the 2011 lacks. Both radios can stream over BT audio with the difference being the 2012 will display...
  14. 0

Pano sunroof creaks driving me mad.

So I have done the re-adaptation probably 10x now (hold switch down until sunroof cycles halfway open then back closed) as well as cleaned all the perimeter seals with alcohol wipes. Still creaks like crazy and it drives me up the wall. Anything else I can try to lubricate/quiet the seals...
  15. 0

First longish trip in my '12 TDI - ~575 miles in one day.

Finally taking the '12 Sportwagen on a medium haul trip tomorrow down to South Georgia for an appointment I have down there, if I just drove down and back it is 287 miles each way via the most convenient route - may make a side trip for lunch so we can get back into Atlanta later to avoid...
  16. 0

Regeneration parameters if any.

So had an oddity happen the other day. My '12 went into regen on my way to work, I was running late for work so couldn't allow it to complete and it had only been in regeneration for maybe 5 mins before I shut it down. Anyhow it was a shorter work day for us so got to work about 9AM and...
  17. 0

Tire recommends - '17 Porto alloy wheels

So my '12 CPO came with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ that the prior owner put on prob ~1.5 years before they turned the car into VW. Tons of tread left but sitting in storage for 1.5 years did no favors to the tires. There is no visible cracking/dry rot and the tires look great (no browning...
  18. 0

Brand new 2019 Hyundai Tucson catches fire - local news.

Local news story I caught while catching up on my daily read. Brand new 2019 Hyundai Tucson with 300 miles on the clock goes up in flames. https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/woman-says-brand-new-suv-exploded-days-after-she-bought-it/957943563 Sure this is probably some specific defect to...
  19. 0

Popping/rattling cargo cover - where to felt.

So my car has had a maddening pop/rattle that I just learned is coming from the cargo cover. Found that by removing the cover from its resting place and just leaving it on the cargo floor. My pano sunroof still emits some creaks/pops but it is nowhere near as bad as what the cargo cover is...
  20. 0

OEM headunit upgrade ?

So I am hoping some of you might have done or know about upgrading the head units to a later version CarPlay/Android Auto unit. I really don't want to go over to VWVortex. So I am seeing the RCD330 should be plug and play and offers up Android Auto and Apple Carplay. Has anyone done...