Search results

1. C

Vent selector broken? Here's my 50 cent fix.

I have one that's perfectly fine other than the fan switch has worn contacts, that could be changed from your current unit. i'll give it to you for the cost of shipping, it'll likely get tossed when i move otherwise.
  2. C

A/C intermittent on 1998 Jetta

I checked all the elements of the junkyard resistor, it was fine. I figured out how to remove the one from the car without taking out the airbag. Put the junkyard blower resistor in the car and all is well. The ceramic housing of the old one was all cracked and I confirmed the first resistor...
  3. C

The resistor is in the air box behind the airbag. In the junkyard I just took the airbag out, not sure if it's possible to remove with the airbag in place. Running it on 2, 3, or 4 will run the fan, but not the AC... The AC is triggered off the far end of the low side resistor. So if the low...
  4. C

I finally had a free minute to read the wiring manual. Turns out the AC system gets its trigger off the low speed end of the blower resistor. That means if the low resistor dies, it will not work on low (duh), but the trigger will still be given to the AC system. If the switch is put onto 2, the...
  5. C

I have not had a whole lot of time, but i spent some tinkering tonight, this is what i found... The fan switch is operating correctly. It's pretty simple, one common and four switched outputs. I took it apart, cleaned the wiper and contacts, and no change. Then I found that if I turn on the...
  6. C

I looked at that, fan is not running when the AC is not running. That kind of makes sense. When I put the fan switch on one, the compressor clicks on and the fan starts to run, but the blower motor does not run. When it is acting up, the blower motor does not run on fan speed one regardless of...
  7. C

The thing that is odd to me (and maybe this is throwing me off), is that fan speed 1 doesn't work when it's acting up, regardless of the AC state. I thought maybe the fan switch, but I can take a look at the Bentley wiring diagrams., too.
  8. C

I have a very weird and annoying intermittent issue with my HVAC. Sometimes it works perfectly fine, AC is cold, all blower speeds work, etc. And sometimes it stops working correctly and does this... Fan speed 1 lights up the AC button and engages the AC compressor, but does not run the fan...
  9. C

New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

Expect it to have a lot of deferred maintenance that will cost a bunch of money and time, then be an absolutely fantastic car when it's all sorted out.
  10. C

AHU no boost

I had an OEM maf fail on my 98. It would give values of 30 or 40 mg/str to the computer and the car made no power. Struggled to hit 25. Then over 2500rpm it would go to ZERO mg/str, pop a code for implausible MAF, and go to the default value for my tune (max). When I took the MAF apart, I found...
  11. C

Incorrect temperature readings

I did check all the wiring to the ECU and it was fine, the check pointed to a bad sensor. A new one fixed it. In fact, an autopsy of the old one revealed it was filling up with coolant.
  12. C

unplugging the 4-pin sensor seems to affect both the temp gauge and the ECU, it has two elements in it. And yes, it was reporting something like 140 degrees to the ECU and the A/C wouldn't work. The GPs also wouldn't cycle when it was 30 degrees out this weekend, fortunately the TDI is an...
  13. C

Don't make my AHU feel old like that :)
  14. C

It's been raining a lot so I looked to make sure no water got in the ECU, it's dry. Checked all the wiring between the sensor and the ECU, looks fine. I have no idea but a new sensor is really cheap from idparts... I'll just put a new one in there and see what happens ... I would expect a...
  15. C

My coolant temp readings in vagcom are incorrect. After the car sits overnight, the report engine temperature is between 95C and 100C, this is clearly wrong. The temp value slowly wanders up and down. If I unplug the black 4-pin sensor on the top coolant hose that's right on the engine outlet...
  16. C

New to the TDI world. I picked up a 98 jetta with a few mods. P150 intake, EGR delete, DLC1019 nozzles and an RC3 tune. Really fun little car with ABSOLUTELY NO RUST. Not even in the spare tire well or the radiator support. Sorry I suck at taking pictures:
  17. C

98 Jetta with high idle

Thanks for all the help on my noob questions! I'm having fun getting the car back into nice shape. I have to reseal the pump and it's really cool being able to set the IQ correctly by just looking at vagcom and tapping the QA until the values are correct. I'm used to mech diesels where there is...
  18. C

98 Jetta with high idle

It's pretty damn modern to me, I drive cars from the 50's and 60's, and my mercedes is a fully mechanical diesel, so... Anyway, I put the value back to the default. Now it idles at 903, nice and smooth, no rattles or anything. It actually also shuts off a lot more smoothly. Not sure why that...
  19. C

98 Jetta with high idle

According to the ross-tech page I liked above in my edit, idle adjustmet should be channel 02, 01 should be injected quantity. I know injected quantity was turned down because apparently the clutch can't handle the full power of the rocketchip RC3 tune. I'll get a chance to go back out to the...
  20. C

98 Jetta with high idle

So when I go to the adaptation menu, it will let me make changes, but for some reason I'm not seeing a drop down menu, it just lets me select some channel to change the value for. Is there some documentation that correlates the channel numbers to specific attributes? I have the service manual...