Search results

1. N

Who’s going to Tesla after their current TDI?

And the exponentially more extreme heat, droughts, floods and fires occurring NOW that would be impossible if our pathetic addition to fools fuel hadn’t jacked CO2 to over 400ppm? If they’re not worried about that they should be.
  2. N

I agree but I wish people were more consistent with their risk aversion. The rising levels of CO2 are a FAR greater threat than a market dip. Money is fake. Physics is real.
  3. N

My opinion isn’t that you shouldn’t own a house. My opinion is that you shouldn’t pay off the loan any faster than you need to. You still get the same exposure.
  4. N

Interest rate is 4%. The historical average of the S&P is ~10%. If I didn’t think there was a ~99% chance I could do better with the market over a ~10 year period I would pay off the mortgage.
  5. N

And if they held they would have been fine. Deflation adjusted losses were recovered by 1934. Things are a bit different today with more active monetary management. Welcome to capitalism... can’t win if you don’t play :)
  6. N

Because there's over a dozen ways to use that cash more effectively. If I had paid off my mortgage when I had the cash to do so 8 years ago I would have a paid off house and $0 cash. Instead I left it in diversified investments and I have a ~$100k mortgage and >$500k in cash. Am I better off...
  7. N

I've never said solar is for everyone. If your house is nestled in a forest then obviously the panels won't work. But what relevance is a $170 or $127 electric bill to the fact your house is in perpetual shade? If you have sun exposure it doesn't matter how much your electric bill is. You...
  8. N

Paying off a home early is one of the most expensive things you can do. I could payoff my mortgage tomorrow but it would be idiotic to sideline that much cash. People somehow think solar is 'bad' investment? Run the numbers on paying off a house early with interest rates at ~4% vs the...
  9. N

Because allowing your money or equity to sit around doing nothing when you have a ~zero risk opportunity to put it to work is idiotic? If you can put ~$15k of equity to work saving you ~$130/mo why not put it to work saving you $130/mo? It also gives you a double hedge against inflation. If...
  10. N

You suggested PV doesn’t make sense because your electric bill is only $127. Am I misrepresenting your reasoning? That’s just silly. Solar scales. It’s a ~10 year payback. If your electric bill is ~$100/mo then a $12k system will cover it. ~$200.... then a ~$24k system. Math.
  11. N

So.... the math actually DOES work... you just have too many trees; Wouldn’t that have been a more accurate excuse instead of spreading misinformation about how PV somehow doesn’t make sense if your electric bill is <$130/mo?
  12. N

Wouldn't $70 to a loan be less than $127 to an electric bill? ~$50/mo for doing nothing seems like a lot of money to me...
  13. N

Is it? Wouldn't $15k and $0/mo for the next 30 years be better because numbers? OR... my favorite way since interest rates are so low is to refinance your house, that would be ~$70/mo. Which is better? $70/mo to the bank or $127/mo to the utility? Y'all realize PV systems come in more than...
  14. N

So why not the loan option then? Most loans are now structured where the payments are less than the savings. Wouldn't it be better to pay $400/mo to the bank than $500/mo to the utility?
  15. N

??? How did you arrive at a 18 year payback on a PV system that costs under $30k and saves ~$6,000 per year?
  16. N

Refrigeration is a pretty mature technology, not really any opportunities to do more with less. If anything the cost has gone up in the past 5 years. Ice storage would be even worse since the bulk of the cost is going to be just raw materials.
  17. N

Here's an article from 5 years ago. I'm guessing cost is one reason it never really took off. They're quoting $1,000/kW. Most EVs have at least a ~7kW charger so adding an EV to a network would provide the same value as ~$7,000 in ice storage.
  18. N

Why wouldn't they? Instead of a big thermal plant cutting its output because wind turbines ramped up they get to chug along at exactly 1100MW while the EV fleet fluctuates with variations in supply and demand. What they hate is when you have 27GWs of wind predicted to be a full capacity from...
  19. N

When I said 'aggregate EVs' I mean combine them into a network creating a 'virtual power plant' as Tesla is already doing with their PowerWalls. You get home, plug-in and your car joins thousands of others in a 'virtual power plant'. Wind is being curtailed? Cars in the network charge faster...
  20. N

You don't need to guess... this is a known quantity. ~300wh per mile for a large EV. So on average ~130g of CO2 per mile vs ~2x that for a diesel that gets ~40mpg. And that 130g/mi for an EV assumes grid mix which EVs don't use 'grid mix'. They are predominantly charged off-peak when...