Search results

1. F

I'm tired of chasing fuel economy on the ALH...

Attempting to repair other vendor's nozzles are like picnicking from a dumpster. Why would I do that to myself? You go in, KNOWING there's a problem, expecting filet minion? Some of these nozzles really are CRAP! Let's assume my esteemed competitor (or one of their minions) or any of a list...
  2. F

When working toward extreme mileage or extreme power, there have to be sacrifices. I certainly agree with OH. I don't have a 'crazy big' engine, but I do know that proper porting, rings (yeah, we got some crazy performance rings...) even the bearings have little incremental improvements, but...
  3. F

Still won’t rev after rebuild

If I've repeated my stance on injectors plenty of times. Here is what I think. If you leave injectors for a PD motor laying around and don't take care of them, the injector will stop working. Injectors for the PD motor should be cleaned and stored by submerging them in diesel. If it is...
  4. F

Lol... Peter, I can't do miracles. Some just think it is when I do certain things. It's not a miracle when a cylinder head of mine goes another 500,000 miles after I built it. Some of the credit belongs to the owner. Never said I did a full tanks' worth of driving either. I had a 'front...
  5. F

Reprogram a spare ECU to work on ALH

If you are going to keep a 'smog approved ECU', the important things to know are the suffix letters on the ECU should match and then, all you need is a immobilizer delete. For example, if you have a suffix 'FD' and you get an immobilier installed on a 'CG', your glow plugs won't work. With...
  6. F

Value 2005 70K Beetle: broken turbo?

But will they get 45 mpg?
  7. F

Broken BEW Crankshaft

The difference between the ALH/ AHU and the BEW is the crank sensor wheel. I don't remember the number of teeth, but the ALH/ AHU have four slots cut out of the crank sensor and you can see in the picture above, the crank sensor has about 52 teeth (I think).You have to replace it and you have...
  8. F

Value 2005 70K Beetle: broken turbo?

I think when I have the chance, I'll go through all the dozen or so 'takeoff' turbos I have laying around here from when someone upgraded or I decommissioned a car. I think even someone on a super tight budget can afford what I have. Not right now, but in a couple of weeks, give me a shout...
  9. F

Pkhoury says, "I know @Franko6 brags about getting 40mpg doing 90mph+." It isn't bragging if you can prove it. It's not only me, but several of the injectors I've installed (after consideration of a LOT of variables...) have gotten extreme mileage. I NEVER promise those kind of returns. But...
  10. F

Another Camshaft Question

Cam Replacement Instructions First, download from 'Resources' A4 Timing belt procedure, because you can't remove a cam without doing that. So, you are in the position that the cam sprocket and vacuum pump are removed. Mark the caps, 1-5, with #1 being closest to the timing belt. Note that...
  11. F

Is it okay to remove airbox and replace stock filter with K&N Cone Filter?

The repetitive event of someone with money to burn... Why do you think you need to change things up? Besides the fact the existing air cleaner is as large as the one in my 5.9L Cummins, AND the stock filter also has a cold air intake. Why would you rather draw the hot air from the engine...
  12. F

BKD water pump install gone wrong. Help please

I hope you inspected the cam followers. If you have any ruptured and you run it like that, there is a very good chance the top of the lifter will break off like a trash can lid and really wreck things, so you will have a lifter bore to contend with. If you have a mildly bent valve or more...
  13. F

BKD water pump install gone wrong. Help please

The BKD is a dual overhead cam PD motor. If you move the pistons 90 degrees from TDC, the cams should rotate without contact 360 degrees. However, stripped teeth on a belt can be catastrophic and bend valves. So, the cams will rotate, but that does not prove a valve is bent or not. The...
  14. F

Which PD crankshaft is the strongest?

I understand a budget. I wish you well.
  15. F

Overheating

I debate if those are necessary. But we got them, if you think you have to put them in. I am still of the opinion you fix the problem. More torque is not the answer to a warped block.
  16. F

Please help me locate my engine speed sensor.

The fact this just followed a timing belt procedure, I think your mechanic blew it. Most likely, he miss-timed a cam. http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16400/P0016/000022 The rear seal/crank speed sensor bet is just fine. So you know, you have to pull the transmission off to get to...
  17. F

The cracks happen between the injector bore and the intake seat. It's like looking at an old 1.6 IDI... 'They all do it.' But the crack can go straight down the bore to the injector seat. Sure, you can have a crack in that port that won't affect you, but I'd rather they designed the head...
  18. F

adamss, I like your enthusiasm. Not many of my people want to play chicken with their engine. That is odd, the AL coded injectors. We found the BE were also a larger piston inside the injector. More fuel, but I was of the understanding the AB and BE and BC? versions were all the bigger...
  19. F

Overheating

Bigmo, They aren't common. We get ours out of Europe and they are in stock. The real question is how flat is the block and the head. The truth, you don't need to put 12.9 bolts on if the engine is stock and the the mating surfaces are flat.
  20. Blown engine

Blown engine

#3 rod blew up from runaway