Search results

1. G

B4 Accessory Belt, Harmonic Balancer, Tensioner (aka B4 chirp)

Ok, so I've read several posts about this topic... Including: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=96366&highlight=chirp http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=149459 I have the harmonic balancer, tensioner and a new accessory belt, as well as a new power steering belt. (belts are...
  2. G

B4 Passat, PC Installed, GPS, VAG-COM, 7" VGA, (not dial-up friendly)

I installed a full desktop PC into my car last year, but never posted about it. Only recently I cleaned up some of the setup. The main objective was to have a GPS onboard w/ audio directions, mp3 playback, VAG-COM. DVD movie playback is also possible, but I do not use it for DVD's... (doesn't...
  3. G

Passat Passenger's side LED

Passat B4 Passenger Side Alarm LED: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=95151
  4. G

Road Trip - Vancouver, BC to San Francisco, CA

Like the Title says! :) I will probably taking this trip sometime mid/end of next month, for about 6-8 days round trip. Will be travelling along the Oregon Coast most of the way down, and along the coast in North California. (avoiding the desert heat) It's my first time for the Oregon Coast...
  5. G

B4 Passat Road Trip

I apologize if this might be in the wrong section... However it is B4 Passat related. I'm planning a road trip next month - Vancouver, BC to San Fran, CA, going along the Oregon Coast for part of the trip. I'm just concerned if my '96 Passat is going to "hold-up". It only has ~145,000 Km's...
  6. G

Biodiesel (solvent) eats what type(s) of plastic?

I need advice from biodiesel experts... First off, I KNOW that our fuel tanks are plastic... I recall from the TDIFAQ. I would love to run biodiesel... but I have an embarassing fact to admit. Quite awhile ago I dropped a plastic cap from a bottle of diesel water disperser/evaporator. I was...
  7. G

Where to get diesel in Portland, OR and Tacoma, WA

I'm coming down this weekend to visit the tax-free state. Yay! Need some more car audio toys for my beloved diesel... So where can I filler' up with diesel? Also, am I allowed to pump the diesel myself in Portland/Tacoma? I know some states and/or cities that don't allow it. (IIRC...
  8. G

Ashtray Voltmeter Install - (pics included)

I installed this voltmeter awhile ago. My intention was for convenience on checking my battery voltage -- in hopes of avoiding a instrument cluster failure. I periodically check the voltage to see what it's at.... (my battery isn't that old, but I figure for $50 CAN for a mini-voltmeter, why...
  9. G

ventectomy & gravity valve

I just did the ventectomy. Pretty simple, but the only minor problem was that I removed the gravity valve (on the right side) Because I was stupid and wasn't sure what I was doing... doh! I put it back together. What is the exactly is the function of the gravity valve for a diesel? It...
  10. G

Remove 5th Injector

I plugged my fifth injector hose a long time ago. I want to remove the solenoid & etc, to keep my engine compartment more "clean" looking.... I read one or two posts in the past stating to use a 10 or 15 ohm resistor w/ 10W rating. If need be I could parallel a couple 30ohm resistors for even...
  11. G

BC Biodiesel users - aircare

Anyone in BC use Biodiesel in their TDI for an aircare test? (or other diesel, Golf/Jetta TD, Cummins Dodge, Mercedes) I'm just curious if the results would be better/much better/ or worse when going through the test. I know the aircare test, currently, only measure opacity. Opacity =...
  12. G

another fuel gauge thread - help me please

I was a good boy and used the search function before posting this problem and found this: fuel gauge problem I followed the instructions for cleaning the contacts on my fuel gauge, for the most part. I didn't have my multimeter on me, but it seemed as though the pointer on the sender gauge...
  13. G

TDI Storage - Summer

First my question: What do I need to do for short-term TDI storage in the summer. I'm looking at three months from roughly May to August storing my vehicle, no garage I have to work out in eastern Canada for short while. (near Toronto) I did a brief search for info on vehicle storage, and...
  14. G

Optima Battery North Washington area

Does anyone know where to get the Optima redtop 34R battery in North Washington area? if yes, how much? Walmart in Bellingham or Burlington? My plan is to drive down, install the new battery, toss (recycle) the old one, and drive back across the border with my brand-spanking new battery, and...
  15. G

Mann Provent 200 Install B4 Passat

Check it out: Yes, I know not the world's greatest install... Hokey zap straps to hold the filter to the upper intercooler pipe, fairly stable. After the install, I ran the engine for few minutes to make sure nothing was getting rubbed too close with other critical lines/hoses/parts.... Six...
  16. G

B4 Passat Alarm LED mod (passenger side)

Hey guys, I did this mod a LONG time ago, just never posted it... Anyway, it made me sick that there was only a alarm LED on only the driver's side. So I got another factory LED and holder and wired one on the passenger side. NOT a fun job to do (only cause I did it the dumb way, and wired...
  17. G

Simplest way to disable EGR?

Hi, I tried searching info on EGR. (way too much!!!, and I couldn't find a simple answer) I just cleaned my intake, and needless to say, I don't want to do it again, EVER. I already have done the EGR mod through vag-com, but I do at LOT of city driving.... Is it correct to just unplug the...
  18. G

easiest way to prime fuel filter?

I'm sure this question has been answered before.... but search is off at the moment. Last time I changed my fuel filter, I poured as much fuel as I could into the tiny inlet, but I still cranked forever (more than I wanted, anyway) to start the engine. I read in another post that someone used...
  19. G

boost leak - where do I start?

Like the subject states.... I will replace the hose from the IC pipe to the ECU first, as per the TDIFAQ, Is the size correct? 5/64" tubing? Anywhere else a likely cause for boost leak? The leak is *very minor* I get minor surging in 1st gear - from ~1800 - 2100 RPM, after the clutch is...
  20. G

What am doing wrong? low mileage!

The last few fill-ups I've been calculating my mileage. I'm only getting ~7.0L/100km or roughly 33mpg according to the calculator/converter on this website... Great compared to gas, but pretty sh*tty compared to most of the TDI's on this site... I've vented the fill-ups, air filter is two...