Search results

1. K

Air Conditioning stops working at idle

Common wisdom is the "expansion valve" on the firewall should be changed also. Not too spensive but you don't want the Chinesium knockoffs. Availability may be a problem for you too.
  2. K

Air Conditioning stops working at idle

Seems to me that at idle the low side would go up with less suck from the pump and less cooling from the condenser.
  3. K

Injection pump leak

I suggest he complete the seal change first. That way you know any no start issues are due to the pump. Once it's running properly do the belt.
  4. K

'03 TDI cam shaft position sensor

OBD reader won't give you much meaningful info. Need VCDS. I can't think of anything in the IP that would function as a cam position sensor. There's a crank position sensor and the #3 injector lift sensor that senses the injection event. Try searching up that Code to see if anyone has...
  5. K

What is the bee's knees for removing diesel oil stains from my garage floor?

Paint thinner, BBQ starter, gas. Rub it in with a broom, soak it up with sawdust, kitty litter or dirt. Repeat. Wont remove the stain but gets it clean enough to walk on. To save the nannies out there the trouble: these are flammable. Gas is explosive. Be careful.
  6. K

My Beetle Died in the Highway

Wouldn't the engine make some very noticeable ugly noises if the pistons and valves met at 2000 RPM?
  7. K

Car in reverse rolls backwards when parked on 11 degree slope driveway

Good point Burn. You couldn't turn the motor with the plugs out with with a short wrench.
  8. K

Increasing Blowby and oil seeping from injector plug

What B3 said. He beat me to it.
  9. K

Brake Failure

The thing is, the rears could fail and most people wouldn't know until the front failed too.
  10. K

Brake Failure

Yeahbut. He said the pedal went to the floor. Nothing about a failed booster would cause that.
  11. K

You must be joking. Go put a wrench on the crank and turn it until you feel compression fighting you. Let it sit a few seconds and try again. You'll feel that there's less resistance. Or just hold torque on it. Note how the motor turns. Air leaks past the rings. Even if the ring/cylinder seal...
  12. K

Compression is not what holds the car on a hill when in gear, only friction. Unless it's really steep and the brake isn't set. When you park, you set the parking brake tight enough that it's holding then put it in gear. A lot, if not most, folks give it a yank or a stomp and call it good with...
  13. K

Where do I start? White smoke and stuttering on a cold start (70f outside) with video!

A competent mechanic might, in good faith, change the belt without knowing the proper procedure. Though one might argue that a competent mechanic wouldn't do it without looking up the correct procedure the first time he sees a particular vehicle. Obviously I'm speculating and maybe he knows...
  14. K

Where do I start? White smoke and stuttering on a cold start (70f outside) with video!

You can tell by eye if the cam's off significantly. Mark and pray? If the timing was late and the belt was just replaced with no adjustment timing would be the same as it was.
  15. K

Swapping ALH IP Pulley

I doubt it'll do any harm in the short term while seeing that it doesn't affect fuel consumption. Then you can decide whether you would cause hurt feelings by removing it. As you can see I'm a doubter but will gladly learn otherwise. But be prepared to defend your methodology. Tgray, I...
  16. K

More history than mileage would be useful. How long have you had it? Did it smoke before the belt was done? Anything else you can think of.
  17. K

Swapping ALH IP Pulley

The AHU doesn't have that monster sprocket. They didn't add the more expensive heavier part just to beguile folks and make a market for guys to sell a lighter part with the dubious claim of better mileage. Never heard the alternator would cause problems with the crank. I think the clutch was...
  18. K

Smoke coming out from egr weep hole.

Since it's integral with the manifold you need to modify the manifold or find a swap. I don't know of one that fits but some searching might turn one up.
  19. K

ALH Low Oil Alarm... Is there one?

Is an 03 different than a 98? 98 Had an alarm too.
  20. K

1.9 alh injection pump jumped time

Nevada, you are not wrong. Could even turn it, gasp! backwards if necessary. But one wonders how Steve P's pump got so far out of time. Shouldn't have moved at all if it was set up properly when installed. How about it Steve? Wuhappened?