Search results

1. nicklockard

TDI 2.0 Comfortline breaks down for 6th time on the road. Towed again.

I looked up the CTEK battery charger. It does not appear to have a battery conditioning mode where it desulfurizes the battery. It's possible the charger actually caused increased sulfurization on the plates. I had a battery fail very suddenly like this where its voltage one day was fine and...
  2. nicklockard

Diesel Haiku

White Touarag diesel Electric problems, oh It's a Volkswagen
  3. nicklockard

Phoenix area TDI owners, post if you're still here

Checking in from Moon Valley neighborhood here. Who's got the gtg? Where we going?
  4. nicklockard

Tangentially related to EVs - Residential solar systems

Yeah the water bladder would be my biggest concern. There are heavy gauge, 500 gallon water bladders with various certification levels; some even meet MILSPEC's for water transport & storage, but they're quite expensive. I'd not worry about an inverter or solar panels much. The hydronic unit...
  5. nicklockard

Tangentially related to EVs - Residential solar systems

Same here. I'm looking into just creating an augmented, grid-disconnected hvac system powered by solar panels: 3200 watts of panels, about 8 Inverter 220v water chiller My idea is to chill water during the day on free power to 'hold the cold' and help with peak shaving (I have an area under...
  6. nicklockard

U.S. Comeback?

I fully, 100% agree with you on the eGolf. That's how you 'save' the Golf. Regarding the Golf R though: They've sold 5 Golf R's this year. It's clearly a halo model with no customers. For a so-called 'halo' model to mean anything (i.e. drive customers to your door to sell other stuff), they...
  7. nicklockard

U.S. Comeback?

I hope VW makes a serious effort to electrify, and fast. They need a sub-$27k electric car. Their current lineup is too diluted & too bland. WT frank is an arteon? If they were smart, they'd retire the slow-selling and brand-diluting vehicles and put that money into real EV development: Kill...
  8. nicklockard

2014 JSW road trip report

I bought my first I bought my first Tdi from them, a 2002 blue Jetta w/leather, back in 2004.
  9. nicklockard

Who’s going to Tesla after their current TDI?

'Bam! Love me some lay-down of the TCO facts. Electric car's TCO beats the crap out of any ICE car, only you have to be rich to capitalize one in the first place. That's the problem. We need cheaper cost to acquire electric vehicles, which is why I'm hoping Aptera succeeds.
  10. nicklockard

$500 to get to 150HP from an ALH?

You want finely atomized diesel and nitrous oxide fog under 18psi at around 200f in your intake tract? That's a rolling bomb with a short fuse.
  11. nicklockard

Continuing COVID changing your driving habits?

It was fun, until it wasn't. Always one a-hole has to be partisan.
  12. nicklockard

Remember what I said about copy pasted, unoriginal, or partisan posts? Yeah. Boring. I'm going to shut it down on the next regurgitated talk show bullcrap. Original means just that. Move on to another topic. Amsoil~! Debate....
  13. nicklockard

I'm going to let you guys continue to talk issues. Not politics. You seem to need to vent amongst a group you like and trust. I get it. Any partisan stuff will get this shut down. Issues only. Original thoughts. No copy/pasted stuff.
  14. nicklockard

We forgot to talk about Chernobyl. What are your thoughts? lol. And, what Amsoil should I run in my Tdi?
  15. nicklockard

Seems like this thread is becoming a catch all for a bunch of angst. Holy crap, we're so random, lol. So far, and I've only gotten to page 7, we've got COVID, vaccines, unemployment, tree stumps, confederate stores, ten gazillion 'gubmint' conspiracies, fifteen flavors of 'freedom(s)', pre-FDA...
  16. nicklockard

We're pretty far afield from driving habits, but....the thread is surprisingly rational and civil. Thanks club! My $0.02 on the topic of the vaccine not having gone to phase 3 yet, and the remarkably fast timings of phase I and II follow: First, my background: I have been in medical devices...
  17. nicklockard

The NARFmobile, My 2001 Golf TDI

Chipmunk approved repairs: priceless.
  18. nicklockard

It's not finalized, but they want to license Tesla's charging tech. If they succeed, it'll be a huge boon to adoption and increasing their user base, IMO.
  19. nicklockard

Regarding average prices of cars increasing beyond people's ability to purchase: I went searching for new car median prices by vehicle class, but couldn't find any. Found a good forum discussion though here. Bottom line: people buy the most car they can get for a payment of 'X' dollars per...
  20. nicklockard

He just forgot to mention that the trip has to start at the highest point on the continent and go all downhill. Totally innocent mistake. Everyone's done that one at some point.