Search results

1. Matt-98AHU

RV Sprinter Trip to Glacier National Park.....with Matt98AHU saving the day !!

Glad I could help, Harry! Was good luck that I happened to be visiting just North of Bend and had my Autel scan tool with me that talks to everything in Sprinters. Small corrections--I'm not near Portland. At least not yet. Currently have a studio a few blocks from the beach in Newport, which...
  2. Matt-98AHU

New California smog checks.......

Looking into this some more, take a read on this page from BAR's website: https://www.bar.ca.gov/ARSC/Newsletters/Newsletter/Spring_2020/Cal_ID_and_CVN_Detect_Programming_Modifications I just used VCDS in the "OBD II" mode (when you first start the application, you have buttons labeled...
  3. Matt-98AHU

New California smog checks.......

OK, so I was doing a little homework on this subject last night. I will be making a more in-depth post. Basically, what this boils down to is CARB/smog stations are using "Mode 9" to see the engine computer part number and software version number (which will make up the 'CAL-ID' portion of this...
  4. Matt-98AHU

Additional CCM coding and configurations with VDS Pro

I'm not sure which address it is. I never looked that closely for it because that's something that you can change in the normal scantool coding anyway. A 4 door car with 1C0 module and power windows for example will default to a value of 258, you add one to the coding to make it 259 and it...
  5. Matt-98AHU

O2 sensor locations 2006 BRM TDI Jetta

There's only one. If your scan tool is telling you it's the downstream O2 sensor, get a better scan tool. There isn't a downstream sensor. Just Bank 1 Sensor 1.
  6. Matt-98AHU

California Emissions and a Tuned ALH

Won't fail visual so long as the EGR is still there, OE catalytic converter is still there and the crankcase vent is still intact. Not all places do the snap throttle smoke test. The other part of this is the engine computer has to have no codes stored and all the readiness monitors need to be...
  7. Matt-98AHU

Steering wheel shimmy at highway speeds, possible dog bone?

Check the tire balance first at a tire shop. Most speed dependent vibrations are a wheel/tire balance issue. If the vibration is only noticeable when accelerating hard, or is significantly more pronounced when accelerating hard, then it's more likely to be an inner CV joint causing the issue...
  8. Matt-98AHU

Reverse lights on when car is off

Pretty bizarre issue. From what I understand, even on the manual transmission cars, the power to the reverse switch is on terminal 15, which is ignition switched power. Furthermore, the signal from the reverse light switch goes into the J519, central electric module. The central electric module...
  9. Matt-98AHU

CA Smog FAIL after 5spd swap/tune

It shouldn't be a problem so long as you're also not requesting something like an EGR delete in the tune. Seems most tuners have a hard time getting the EGR readiness monitor to set with PDs when programming the EGR delete. So, when you get it coded and tuned to make everything work correctly...
  10. Matt-98AHU

Bye California, it's been nice.

As some have heard me discuss in person in recent months, things have been in motion in the background for awhile to move out of state. Some of my family has moved to Oregon and deegingerkid and I are deciding to follow. It wasn't taken lightly on my part since I have a decent customer base...
  11. Matt-98AHU

alarm

Yep. That's what they do. It likely is a bad solder joint or corroded connection inside the door lock module. All the microswitches in these modules share a common ground input. I've had numerous lock modules where they stop recognizing EVERYTHING. They don't see a change in lock position, they...
  12. Matt-98AHU

alarm

Sounds like you have a bad driver door lock module that isn't recognizing that you manually unlocked it. The microswitches aren't sending the signal that lets the system know the key unlocked it... Or for now you can just unplug the alarm horn itself. It lives under/behind the wiper motor...
  13. Matt-98AHU

Best Head Unit replacement 2002 MK4

I second mk3's suggestion of the RCN210. I've installed a number of them in B5 and Mk4 era cars. They're cheap, very easy to figure out and work well. Some of the more advanced things like importing of contacts doesn't work with Android phones and thus you'll have to initiate a call via your...
  14. Matt-98AHU

BEW timing belt interval

PDs were downrated to 80k miles. They originally were 100k rated, but I think VW started seeing an abnormally high number of premature failures before that point, and thus downrated them. When you think about it, the belt does have a lot of localized stress at the cam pulley. It's not only...
  15. Matt-98AHU

Glow plug control module part # help

That's normal. Glow plug light should not stay on for longer than its bulb check until you get below about 40 degrees F. And, even though the light goes off quickly, that does NOT mean the glow plugs have turned off. It just indicates that it is good enough to start. You can let it sit for a few...
  16. Matt-98AHU

Had a B4 Passat in here awhile ago that had a Meyle key tumbler... the crescent shaped bit that engages the switch had gotten tweaked with use to the point where it would not reliably mechanically turn the switch far enough to actually get to the start position... That was fun figuring out after...
  17. Matt-98AHU

Glow plug dash light not illuminating is a symptom of the engine computer itself not being powered on, which sometimes can be from a dud relay 109/J317 power supply relay to the engine computer. When you first turn the key on, you should get other warning lights on the cluster too, like the oil...
  18. Matt-98AHU

Opti-Lube XPD or Stanadyne?

I've been very happy with how Stanadyne can, over the course of a few tanks in a row with additive in it, make a very noticeable difference in performance of diesels that have rarely, if ever, received additives. Opti-Lube takes the cake for best lubricity, if that's your most major concern...
  19. Matt-98AHU

As others have said, that fuse is simply for the coolant glow plugs. There are numerous cars running around with that module and fuse melted and no longer operational. It will have zero bearing on your ability to be able to start the car. It's something that is only used to help the car warm up...
  20. Matt-98AHU

Flashing Glow Plug

The quantity adjuster code likely has nothing to do with the active reading for quantity while the engine is running. When you first "key on" the car, prior to the engine starting, the quantity adjuster does a quick self-check, moving from its minimum position to its maximum. If the voltage...