Search results

1. Matt-98AHU

Bye California, it's been nice.

As some have heard me discuss in person in recent months, things have been in motion in the background for awhile to move out of state. Some of my family has moved to Oregon and deegingerkid and I are deciding to follow. It wasn't taken lightly on my part since I have a decent customer base...
  2. Matt-98AHU

Requiescat in Pace, John Jackson

Thanks to Facebook algorithms, I did not see this until many days after the fact. But friend and regular here on TDIClub, John Jackson, has passed away. Early on in my foray into business as a mobile TDI repair technician here in California, John had me come to his house and stay while I...
  3. Matt-98AHU

Ferdinand Piech dies at 82

Reuters report here The man largely responsible for Audi's 5 cylinder diesels in the 80s, even had a hand in the development of the original TDIs, made the demands of engineers that made the Mk4s what they were, the entire concept of the retro New Beetle, the Touareg, Phaeton and even the...
  4. Matt-98AHU

I now have a V10 money pit, thanks to compudub!

Last May, I did a cross country road trip and stopped by a number of TDIer's houses and family in Michigan. Did a fair bit of work along the way on people's cars to pay for it. One of the stops was to my buddies VeeDubTDI and compu_85's place in Virginia to take a look at the V10 Touareg. They...
  5. Matt-98AHU

Red Line MT-LV gear oil

I stumbled across a new Red Line gear oil, and it's lighter weight than even the MTL. It's closer to the consistency of the OE VW gear oil, G060 726 A2 and G070. They call it a 70/75w. Also of note is the numerous modern VW gear oil part numbers they say it cross references to, which they did...
  6. Matt-98AHU

How to tell you have a clogged fuel filter... via VCDS

I encountered a low power issue rather suddenly on an 05 Passat wagon that's in the family while it was in my possession yesterday for other work. It included a little bit of a judder, similar feeling to a misfire under load. As I was poking around some measured value data (including comparing...
  7. Matt-98AHU

Predictions for Gen 1 and 2 fix announcement dates

The stage 1 fix proposal for the gen 3 engines was submitted July 29 2016. We did not get an announcement of the approval until January 6, 2017, a full 23 weeks later (approx. a couple weeks shy of 6 months). So, if the evaluation and approval period stays on this track, here's how it might...
  8. Matt-98AHU

My "Nice Cars" B4V rescue project

Story goes with this car, I had a customer that picked this decently repainted silver B4V, 1995 model year VR6 chassis with a TDI swap from those guys in Bellingham, WA. Here's a copy/paste of the post I made (in response to an existing Nice Cars thread): So, that was the first round with...
  9. Matt-98AHU

Cheap, wireless VCDS alternative

I was turned on to this by a couple VW technicians who gave this tool the thumbs up. It's sold by Deutsche Auto Parts and the product is called OBDeleven. It's a very compact OBD2 dongle and is a wireless Bluetooth setup. Currently it only works with Android devices. After watching this review...
  10. Matt-98AHU

New Beetle side window visor upgrade

Fun little upgrade for New Beetle owners. Ever get sick and tired of the fact your sunvisors don't block half of your Windows? VW did eventually come up with a solution, sometime around 2005. And I'm not sure it was a standard feature even then. It's a side window visor assembly that replaces...
  11. Matt-98AHU

98 Jetta aftermarket "banjo" remote replacement found!

As those of you who own a '98 Jetta are probably aware, the "banjo" remotes are NLA from the dealer and most places you look online only have used ones that look to be in questionable shape. I found a place on eBay manufacturing a different style of remote but is meant for the same factory...
  12. Matt-98AHU

More complete CBEA/CJAA measured value block labels

I was downloading a bunch of data from VW's ERWIN.vw.com website (a site for aftermarket shops to download repair information) and stumbled upon a file that gave a more complete set of labels for the measured values for the CBEA/CJAA than what VCDS currently has. I sent an email to Ross-Tech...
  13. Matt-98AHU

VCDS Mobile email notification this morning...

Good morning! Just a hair past 6:30 in the morning here on the West Coast, here is what hit my mailbox about 15 minutes ago: Color me excited :) Though I do not currently possess the fundage for this tool, should I suddenly become flush with cash this is a neat item I'd consider getting. Guess...
  14. Matt-98AHU

WTB: Early TDI pump with GOOD and working quantity adjuster

Just as the title says, I'm looking for a pump or even just a quantity adjuster for a 1Z or AHU. Known to be good. PM me email matt.gtr@gmail.com Whichever works :)
  15. Matt-98AHU

My '96 Passat sedan project car

I bought this '96 Passat sedan from an infamous club member here in California. It was running on only 3 cylinders. In need of an engine rebuild! I had removed the head while it was still in his ownership and found the #3 cylinder wall scored badly, the related piston also in poor shape with the...
  16. Matt-98AHU

Tech session: injection pump re-seal and case pressure relief valve

I have been given a time slot on Saturday at TDIFest for a tech session. After discussion with VeeDubTDI, we decided that I could do a session on resealing an injection pump, including the pump head. I have my own unique way of doing this on the car. Different than Dieselgeek's...
  17. Matt-98AHU

Cross-cross-country TDI-fixing road trip!

Hello TDIers, I will be driving one of my TDIs, overloaded with tools, across the country to TDIFest this year (I actually did the same last year too, but that was more of a last-minute decision). I will be starting in Santa Maria, CA, make may way through Las Vegas, up through Utah, Colorado...
  18. Matt-98AHU

Anyone need work done near San Diego (possibly next week)?

Guys, I've had a request for work in the San Diego area in the near future, no date set in stone yet. Was wondering if anyone else in the area needed work done as well? Timing belt, intake cleaning, clutch, suspension, brakes, whatever you've got! Let me know! May look to be down there as soon...
  19. Matt-98AHU

Price spread of gas and diesel explained

Original article: http://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/Why-diesel-costs-more/1715-485481-832.aspx The last few paragraphs with the most pertinent information:
  20. Matt-98AHU

Anyone need work done near Vegas weekend of Nov. 5?

I will be in the area for a family function and there will be a little free time for me to take on a job or two. I can bring all the tools I need to do just about any of the common services. Clutch, timing belt, intake cleaning, suspension work etc. So long as you have the quality parts we...