Search results

1. G

Amarok

on June 8, 2019 I was surprised to see a VW Amarok TDI, with 6 speed manual transmission parked near a hotel in Roanoke Rapid, N.C. It had a Pennsylvania license plate where it was registered and was gray. I was surprised at the size, because of comments that it is too small for the U.S...
  2. G

Poor support for GM diesels

VW TDI enthusiasts have apparently failed to support in significant numbers the laudable efforts by GM to make available in the US a modern and highly efficient alternative to VWs former diesel cars. It is apparent from the paucity of new light duty GM "whisper" diesel vehicles in dealerships...
  3. G

Fantastic new 2019 chevy cruze diesel

Since my 2005.5 VW TDI Jetta has 521,000 miles (still running great) I thought it was the right time to buy a new diesel, with the 2019 Chevy Cruze diesel being the only reasonably priced diesel sedan available in the U.S. Also, since GM announced the cessation of Cruze production in Lordstown...
  4. G

2017 Chevy Cruze diesel

I was puzzled by the official EPA fuel economy ratings for the 2017 Chevy Cruze diesel sedan as being 52mpg highway for the 6 speed manual transmission and only 47mpg for the 9 speed automatic (52/37/30 and 47/37/31 for the highway/combined/city fuel economy respectively). This is all the more...
  5. G

2005.5 Jetta TDI for sale

2005.5 Jetta TDI for sale, Tallahassee, Fl. 2005.5 Jetta TDI, champaign with beige interior 6 speed DSG transmission Best maintained and most carefully driven in the U.S. All maintenance records from day one. Original owner. Oil/oil filter (505.01 spec oil) every 2500-3600 miles, new...
  6. G

oil pan thread failure

I am the original owner of a high mileage 2005.5 Jetta TDI, meticulously cared for with all oil changes at the dealer about every 3500 miles. At 184000 miles I was told that the threads holding the oil pan plug was stripped and I had a new oil pan installed. Again, at 336000 miles I am told...
  7. G

Jetta TDI Special Edition '06

2006 VW Special Edition, cream puff like new, black/tan interior, one owner, pvt. garaged, very carefully maintained and driven, mostly highway miles. Oil changed every 3000 miles using VW spec 505.01 oil, also new fuel and air filters, has satellite radio. Non-smoker, averages 42-47 mpg...
  8. G

reducing oil change cost

as I own three Jetta TDI.s (2001, 2005.5, 2006) frequent oil changes at 3000 miles with 505.01 oil can be expensive, so I was happy to discover a local supplier of elf excellium DID 505.01 oil at about $6.00/l tax and local delivery to North Florida or south Georgia included.. tel 229-435-1378...
  9. G

engine oil capacity

I used a Pela extractor to change oil on a new TDI special edition with 2900 miles on the speedometer and could only obtain 3.2 quarts (oil filter also removed). The VW manual states engine oil capacity is 5.1 qts/4.8L with oil filter; why the descrepancy? Do you need to remove oil from below...