Search results

1. J

MkIV Detroit Gambler 500 entry

Since you're more interested in the Peerless power hacksaw, here's the first in the video series on rescuing that machine: https://youtu.be/XdG0mhA3ZSw
  2. J

MkIV Detroit Gambler 500 entry - Don't Try This Yourself The only known TDI entry in the Detroit Gambler 500. 310,000 miles, going out in style... https://youtu.be/Zh9os1qEvgo
  3. J

You can't kill a TDI..... but you sure can try. https://youtu.be/Zh9os1qEvgo My son's '02 after 310,000 miles, goes out in style...
  4. J

FS - '99.5 5-spd Black Jetta TDI

It breaks my heart to part with my first TDI, a ’99.5 Jetta, but my left knee won’t take operating a clutch any longer. I bought a 2013 TDI Jetta with DSG transmission and am thankful for it. Here’s the scoop on my ’99.5 - I'd like to get about $4500: Black, 5-speed transmission, 199,000...
  5. J

FS - '99.5 5-speed Jetta TDI

It breaks my heart to part with my first TDI, a ’99.5 Jetta, but my left knee won’t take operating a clutch any longer. I bought a 2013 TDI Jetta with DSG transmission and am thankful for it. Here’s the scoop on my ’99.5 - I'd like to get about $4500: Black, 5-speed transmission, 199,000...
  6. J

FEELER: 99.5 Jetta 5-speed hit in rear FS soon

I have a 99.5 Jetta 5-speed TDI hit in the rear. I'm searching for a decent Jetta for my son and would like to swap the PP520s I have in the totaled car for the stock injectors prior to the sale. The car had about 185k miles, probably original timing belt. Engine ran fine mechanically but there...
  7. J

Science Experiment - B0, B5, B50, B100 MPG

Stats on our data from another thread: TDIST (B0,B5) =TTEST(C6:C8;F6:F8;2;2) 0.647 TDIST (B0,B50) =TTEST(C6:C8;D6: D8;2;2) 0.091 TDIST (B0,B100) =TTEST(C6:C8;E6:E8;2;2) 0.163 TDIST (B5,B50) =TTEST(F6:F8;D6: D8;2;2) 0.080 TDIST (B5,B100) =TTEST(F6:F8;E6:E8;2;2)...
  8. J

I tend to agree. Look at it this way: It takes energy to pump the liquid fuel, and it takes more energy to pump a more viscous liquid. Couple that with reduced energy content of biodiesel, and it's no wonder bio blends give poorer fuel economy. Now, B-5 is barely different energy-wise than B-0...
  9. J

TomB, We started with B0, which was easy. The car had run a dozen tanks of B0 so there was no trace of Bio for the first trial. I have done the ventectomy, so capacity of the fuel tank to the neck is 15 gallons. The first three trials were refilled with B0, using a 2000 ml graduated cylinder...
  10. J

This was January in Virginia. Each day the runs were done starting at noon. The temperature varied a little but ranged from 38 - 42 F. Mostly it dropped during the day, so three runs on a given day saw similar temperature changes. Yes, it looks like my daughter will want TDI #2.
  11. J

My 7th grade daughter chose to compare mileage in a controlled experiment for various blends of biodiesel. The vehicle was a '99.5 Jetta TDI, 5-speed with 140,000 miles. We carefully planned a route and test scheme to minimize external variables. Ratios were chosen to minimize emptying and...
  12. J

Lost my TDI in a crash "II"

Good suggestions! Was also considering pulling the head to check cylinder and valve condition - it would be easy access for head cleaning! Anyone ever tackle putting new syncros in a 5 spd? Can you even get them?
  13. J

What did you pay for your TDI???

I'll go one better... A guy hit me from behind last week, totalling the car. Settlement was $5500 plus I keep the wreck. (Now shopping for another Jetta TDI).
  14. J

What did you pay for your TDI???

1999.5 Jetta, wouldn't start. $100 Tightened battery cables, starts & drives fine.
  15. J

No suggestions?
  16. J

It's Deja Vu all over again... http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=246264 Was also hit from behind in my '99.5 Jetta. I bought the wreck because I just put in PP520s, glow plugs, etc. I plan to pull all TDI items and store them while I shop for a replacement. Question is, since the...
  17. J

Vehicle speed sensor - what type of signal?

Thanks for the info. Is there one magnet, so the sensor gets one pulse for each revolution of the final drive? For the cruise to work, it would need pulses from the final drive, because the crank sensor would give different pulse rates depending on what gear you were in.
  18. J

True, but the TDI throttle is drive-by-wire. The ECU is needed anyway to run. With a speed sensor on the hypothetical generator, the cruise control IS a governor.
  19. J

Does anyone know what type of signal the vehicle speed sensor sends to the ECU? Is it pulses, or voltage, or what? I'm amazed at the rock-steady performance of the cruise system, and I've always wanted to build a TDI-based standby generator one day. The cruise control could maintain 1800 RPM...
  20. J

Better performance on B20 - so what's wrong??

Thanks, I'll look for this. I heard the same about injectors. The clearances are tiny, but at such pressures any wear means more leakage past the plunger. Higher viscosity means less leakage. Think of the classic compression test for worn rings. Air (low viscosity) blows by worn rings easily...