Search results

1. J

MkIV Detroit Gambler 500 entry

You can't kill a TDI..... but you sure can try. https://youtu.be/Zh9os1qEvgo My son's '02 after 310,000 miles, goes out in style...
  2. J

FS - '99.5 5-spd Black Jetta TDI

It breaks my heart to part with my first TDI, a ’99.5 Jetta, but my left knee won’t take operating a clutch any longer. I bought a 2013 TDI Jetta with DSG transmission and am thankful for it. Here’s the scoop on my ’99.5 - I'd like to get about $4500: Black, 5-speed transmission, 199,000...
  3. J

FS - '99.5 5-speed Jetta TDI

It breaks my heart to part with my first TDI, a ’99.5 Jetta, but my left knee won’t take operating a clutch any longer. I bought a 2013 TDI Jetta with DSG transmission and am thankful for it. Here’s the scoop on my ’99.5 - I'd like to get about $4500: Black, 5-speed transmission, 199,000...
  4. J

FEELER: 99.5 Jetta 5-speed hit in rear FS soon

I have a 99.5 Jetta 5-speed TDI hit in the rear. I'm searching for a decent Jetta for my son and would like to swap the PP520s I have in the totaled car for the stock injectors prior to the sale. The car had about 185k miles, probably original timing belt. Engine ran fine mechanically but there...
  5. J

Science Experiment - B0, B5, B50, B100 MPG

My 7th grade daughter chose to compare mileage in a controlled experiment for various blends of biodiesel. The vehicle was a '99.5 Jetta TDI, 5-speed with 140,000 miles. We carefully planned a route and test scheme to minimize external variables. Ratios were chosen to minimize emptying and...
  6. J

Lost my TDI in a crash "II"

It's Deja Vu all over again... http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=246264 Was also hit from behind in my '99.5 Jetta. I bought the wreck because I just put in PP520s, glow plugs, etc. I plan to pull all TDI items and store them while I shop for a replacement. Question is, since the...
  7. J

Vehicle speed sensor - what type of signal?

Does anyone know what type of signal the vehicle speed sensor sends to the ECU? Is it pulses, or voltage, or what? I'm amazed at the rock-steady performance of the cruise system, and I've always wanted to build a TDI-based standby generator one day. The cruise control could maintain 1800 RPM...
  8. J

Better performance on B20 - so what's wrong??

'99.5 Jetta - 180,000mi Let me explain: Ran a tank of B50, clogged the filter pretty quickly. Put new filter in, car ran great. As I drove and refilled with straight pump diesel, performance began to fall off. The engine would struggle to reach 4000 RPM. I figured it was the filter clogging...
  9. J

A4 Jetta - 1st/Rev. how to adjust?

Reverse is hard to find - like one try out of five makes it. I've read posts that say "adjust the shifter linkage", but the only location I see to adjust is the linkage slot on top of the transmission housing. The nut has a factory paint dab which usually indicates "leave me alone". Is this the...
  10. J

'99.5 ALH Group 115 "Not Available"

Was trying to record a run on my '99.5 Jetta to log requested boost vs actual boost. Apparently the Group 115 is not defined for this ECU. I can't find "requested boost" anywhere. Group 23 shows three pressures which seems to be requested boost, actual boost, and ambient pressure, but nothing is...
  11. J

First TDI, first question...

Greetings all, this is a wonderful forum! I'm now the proud owner of a '99.5 Jetta with 180k. A running car for $100! As I plan my purchases, intake cleaning, timing belt change, sensor replacements, etc., I have noticed some significant price differences, particularly in injector nozzles. Since...