Search results

1. burpod

another rebuild disaster? sharp PANGing sound coming from head

hahaa :) well, my skill set also seems to include some severe screw ups. such a shame though... after some minor kinks and quirks, it was running fantastic, tons of power. then the i-shaft snapped... either some sort of collateral damage i couldn't see without taking block apart, or something...
  2. burpod

oh, since the only next step i could think of was pull the head, and i was resigned to not being able to fix the problem now. i took the intake manifold off - and looked inside at the valves with a mirror and flashlight. 3 and 4 looked normal, i think. #2 looked like it had some gray...
  3. burpod

well, not that anyone is listening, but might as well document this. swapped injection pump with a super clean low miles one i had scored a while back. i had high hopes on this.. but alas, no difference, still the loud clack/click/ticking sound. took another look at the intermediate shaft, and...
  4. burpod

AHU will not start

i believe if 109 is bad (ecu not getting power), you won't see the CEL and glow plug indicator lights turn on when you turn the key. if they do, 109 should be good. check for 12v on fuel shutoff solenoid. i found that in my 98 tdi, if you disconnect and then reconnect battery, it gives 12v to...
  5. burpod

so the other day, continuing to believe what's wrong must be related to my i-shaft breaking and loss of oil, i tried a set of new lifters. fire it up, still klacking. the new lifters i got, i could compress partially by hand and see oil squirt out the side-hole. my "old" lifters, even after...
  6. burpod

To Gamble or Not to Gamble on Wheel Bearing Remaining Life

i probably wouldn't bother, unless the spindle/wheel bearing housing is horribly rusty and looks like complete garbage. unless you're driving it a ton, it could easily last another 5 yrs. like oil hammer said, you could put new ones in, hit a pothole, or make a user error, or get a crappy new...
  7. burpod

well i'm now starting to think it's nothing very serious internal to the head (except lifters?) or block. after not finding anything odd with the cam out, no broken valve springs or anything strange looking, i put it back together. started up no problem, no smoke, engine sounds smooth except for...
  8. burpod

machined, now broken i-shaft, can see it spun the bearing too - i assume that happened after the break: my new i-shaft i made on homemade lathe - i took it down to just under 24mm at the beginning, and had to "machine" off some of the gear, rods #1 and #4 would hit the stock shaft: head...
  9. 20210717_180301.jpg

20210717_180301.jpg

10. 20210716_154417.jpg

20210716_154417.jpg

11. 20210719_112453.jpg

20210719_112453.jpg

12. burpod

the video doesn't do it justice, just like all the other videos i've watched of similar isssues. not nearly as pronounced as if you were actually here, but maybe it gives some clues... it's bad enough i don't think it should be driven until i figure out why.
  13. burpod

i'll also try and post some pics, but right now the only thing i can think of is the tiny little couple nicks i saw at the bottom of rod #4 could have caused some sort of severe damage that i could not feel. but since everything rotated so nicely and no other carnage i could find, i thought i...
  14. burpod

i was going to post a more detailed thread involving this, but currently just trying to figure out this issue and get some ideas before i pull the pan off again or take the head off. my ahu, that previously skipped a timing belt, i rebuilt with forged rods, asv pistons, machined i-shaft, new...
  15. burpod

///// Making the Air Conditioning more economical /////

well i do think this is kind of another silly thread, however... when i recently rebuilt my mk3 and installed AC from scratch, i did do something that i think would make it more efficient - the coolant fans only operate when the car is moving <40mph. this is adjustable by a VSS controlled...
  16. burpod

edc15 tuning... getting into the game! very basic questions

well i checked cam bearing #3 since it's easy, and hot damn, there is a glimmer of hope! it looks totally fine :) so i'll go ahead and pull the oil pan and see what further carnage awaits. perhaps there is a chance i can get away with only putting in a new i-shaft if rods and rod bolts look...
  17. burpod

well that was fun while it lasted :( was doing just a few more rips and logs tonight... and after one good boost run i backed off and was just going to cruise back home and had no boost. i figured well i must have actually triggered limp mode or got my first boost leak. no loud pops or bangs or...
  18. burpod

took a fresh look at things again today. started with what i believe to be 11mm pump for .184 nozzles, scaled it to 102 and then multiplied by 5% to account for pumping losses. rethinking QA adjustment, i was just confusing myself i think. basically, no matter what pump or nozzles you have, it...
  19. burpod

well i've got about 2500mi on it since the rebuild. there were some more blunders, trials and tribulations, quirks and kinks and more yet to still work out, but relatively minor. drives great! 11mm alh pump + lift pump, .260 nozzles, 1856 turbo, ported head + stock cam in the meantime i got...
  20. burpod

Coolant glow plugs - useless in warm climates?

True, none of mine have egr, I forgot about that. It was so long ago, I can't remember how warmup times were back when it was stock and living in MN. Although I feel like I remember that disabling the egr didn't have a huge impact.. shrug.