Search results

1. Captain Morgan

What did you do to your car today?

didn't get a chance to post the other night since the forum was being worked on, but I finished my road trip prep with replacing the air filter, fuel filter, cabin air filter. I was hoping for some great MPG, but traffic pretty much ****ed any chance of that, Virginia and North Carolina killed...
  2. Captain Morgan

thanks, should be a smooth 1700 miles :D
  3. Captain Morgan

getting ready for a little road trip, so finally doing everything i have been putting off for the past year..... finally did my VR6 brake upgrade koni shocks & struts ball joints upgraded lower control arm bushings front wheel bearings tie rod ends new tires new battery rewired my fog lights...
  4. Captain Morgan

Finished up my timing belt installation today, most of it was done yesterday but I had some things to button up before it could roll out. Since Monday I did the following; Timing belt replacement Water pump replacement Full coolant flush Intake/EGR cleaning All intake tubes were removed and...
  5. Captain Morgan

cluster messed up? (pic inside)

ok, so for the engine I got.... 18058 - Powertrain Data Bus P1650 - 35-10 - Missing Message from Instrument Cluster - Intermittent 17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer P1570 - 35-00 - no big deal, I'm going to assume the 17978 came up either because of having...
  6. Captain Morgan

Well, I tossed the cluster back in 2 days ago, everything appeared to be back to normal. I didn't start it or drive the car until last night. The day before we had another rain storm come through but it didnt seem to add to the moisture problem. anyway, took it out last night, before i got out...
  7. Captain Morgan

i wont take out another cluster, Ill part the damn car out and buy another before I blow hundreds of dollars at the dealership, heh. there is no coolant anywhere but where its supposed to be. my coolant isnt low, has never been low and I don't smell coolant anywhere. As i posted above, the...
  8. Captain Morgan

Well, i didnt hook up vagcom, but i did pull the cluster and swap in another. The problem is in the cluster. I have it sitting in the sun now, see if that does anything by evening, otherwise ill pull it apart tonight.
  9. Captain Morgan

Didn't think to hook Vagcom to it and see, Ill try and do that tomorrow. Car starts, runs and drives just fine. All the normal lights come on, tach and speedo work just fine. In fact I was half way to the store when I noticed it. I actually went out just now to check on it and now its...
  10. Captain Morgan

haven't posted in a while, haven't had any time to look into the problem yet, just curious if anyone has come across it before. Went out to my car this afternoon and saw this displayed on my cluster. 1 bar on the clock side, bunch of jibberish on the odometer side. Only thing I could read was...
  11. Captain Morgan

finally got my dragging rear brake problem resolved (I hope). I also pulled and cleaned my EGR. Didn't have time to pull the intake today so I just scraped out what I could reach, I'll pull it when I do my timing belt next month.
  12. Captain Morgan

Rear brakes drag 2003 jetta

Was this ever resolved? I started having this problem out of the blue a few weeks ago (been driving my truck since then), I tried bleeding the rear brakes again, it "might" have helped a little, but the rear brakes are still getting considerably hot even just going 5 - 10 miles. Been afraid to...
  13. Captain Morgan

HID conversion ??

gotcha. I dont even acknowledge most of the cheap crap thats sold on eBay. Too many cars come into my shop with these $50 HID kits in them, and the kids wonder why they crap out in a month. I just tell them to go back to stock :D
  14. Captain Morgan

HID conversion ??

This. And I'm not expert, but I believe HID's actually run cooler than Halogens.
  15. Captain Morgan

got a sh*tload of parts from Bora Parts today. Started the following list of things on my dads '00 Jetta before he takes a trip to Florida on Thursday; Timing Belt w/ WP Swap Injection Pump (from another engine I had in the shop) EGR/Intake Cleaning Starter Fix Drivers Mirror Worked on it...
  16. Captain Morgan

How much to replace an IP

I just looked the book rate up for this job this morning for someone, the IP replacement actually books for 3.5 Hours labor. The TB Job books for 4.0 Hours labor. For JUST the IP job, you're looking at $300-$350 labor max for a reasonable shop to do the work. Add a little more of youre...
  17. Captain Morgan

Hard Starting 2003 Jetta (only when cold)

just wondering, when is the last time the fuel filter was changed?
  18. Captain Morgan

01M Transmission - Not the usual problems...

so I picked up a super cheap MKIV with an bad 01M (big surprise) off of eBay a few weeks ago and just started messing around with it today. It has a similar problem as the car above, so let me run this by everyone and see if its the same thing and/or if there has been any new info on this topic...
  19. Captain Morgan

TDI I acquired over the summer, repairs, repairs, now runaway. Just looking for input

thanks Jim Didn't try, don't see why it wouldn't, there arent any codes in the car now, but Ill give it a shot tomorrow with the other key.
  20. Captain Morgan

TDI I acquired over the summer, repairs, repairs, now runaway. Just looking for input

FINALLY got it running, maybe I should have know it all along, I dont remember having to do it with any other car with an immobilizer problem, but I did an auto scan on the car again, and now it was showing an issue with the Key in the 17-Instruments controller. So I cleared that code, then when...