Search results

1. caseyfriday

What is this noise my car is making?

LoL - the rotors on my Golf (now sold) came off a LOT easier than the rotors on my new truck (probably original rotors at 130k). I had to hammer the crap out of the truck rotors, but the Golf rotors came off with some simple shimmying - no hammers involved. You can also spray some Brakleen...
  2. caseyfriday

What is this noise my car is making?

Yes, I did! So sorry for not posting the solution. I hate it the most when people ask questions on the internet, then just say "Figured it out!" without sharing how they did it! It turned out to be my rear brakes. I took off the rear wheels, and they were so metal-on-metal, that I had to...
  3. caseyfriday

Squealing Noise Just After Startup

Thanks, BlankThis. Based on this thread, looks like it just needs a good cleaning to stop the sticking. I recently moved into an apartment where I can't work on my car, so I'll have my mechanic do this (probably just an hour or two of labor). I've really wanted to replace my clutch and do a...
  4. caseyfriday

Squealing Noise Just After Startup

I'm trying to figure out what this noise is. It's louder when I start the car up cold, but after the car gets up to 90C, it's much quieter. This recording is when it's started cold. It sounds like a belt squealing, but it only happens right after the engine starts, and the car is completely...
  5. caseyfriday

Finally getting better mileage!

Very nice! I definitely haven't convinced anyone I know to be a more efficient driver, but my end goal is to move somewhere that doesn't require owning a car. Infinite mpg!
  6. caseyfriday

But hypermiling _is_ fun for me. I see it as a game. I don't need to stomp on the accelerator to have a good time while driving. Simply knowing that I'm getting the absolute best mileage I can get is fun to me. I'm already ready to do some hypermiling contests. I am SO into this.
  7. caseyfriday

I'd been getting mid 30s, and I decided to run two cans of diesel purge through the injectors as well as starting to hypermile. I still need to clean the intake manifold and EGR, and replace the thermostat, but the small steps I've taken have definitely paid off! Just a bit more tuning, and...
  8. caseyfriday

Speakers went out - wiring break

It's pretty easy to just run wires directly to the speaker locations. Just requires a bit of carpet lifting. See my thread on the stereo I put in my 02 Golf.
  9. caseyfriday

Intake/EGR cleaning, MAF Check - with VCDS

GAH. Freaking writeup saying it's the same for Mk4. I called 1stVW and ordered the PN without the 'a', so I should have both of them that I need now. Thanks for the heads up!
  10. caseyfriday

The oil cooler only has one seal. I'm going to do this job during an oil change, so I'll just wait until I've drained all the oil before pulling the oil cooler.
  11. caseyfriday

Sure did - someone on the IRC chat room mentioned the oil cooler o-ring, so I got one of those and the flange for the t-stat. They also mentioned that I can easily drain the coolant from the radiator to keep from making a mess, before swapping out the t-stat and oil cooler o-ring. I'll be...
  12. caseyfriday

Went around doing some VCDS logging today. Coolant reading didn't get above 75 C, so I've ordered a new Thermostat from 1stvw, along with an o-ring for it, and an oil-cooler o-ring. The turbo requested vs actual boost and MAF requested vs actual were very close, so those should still be good...
  13. caseyfriday

Well, just did my most recent mileage calculation. 45mpg! It was mostly highway mileage, and I was using quite a few hypermiling tricks (<2k rpm before shifts, P&G, as little braking as possible), but still, I wasn't able to get this high before, so I'm pretty sure the Diesel Purge helped...
  14. caseyfriday

Will do. One last thing - where in VCDS do I log turbo boost and do the MAF test?
  15. caseyfriday

Took about 30-40 minutes, and I ran it directly in the fuel lines. The 500mi at 1/4 tank might indeed be normal because I did this Diesel Purge before the last fill-up. My low mileage might have just been due to dirty injectors.
  16. caseyfriday

I ran two cans of Diesel Purge through it about a week and a half ago, so I'm excited to see what this tank yields. It's been a lot of highway driving, but I'm almost to a 1/4 tank, and I have about 500 miles clocked so far. Also doing a lot of P&G, <2k shifts, etc. It is indeed a manual.
  17. caseyfriday

Smalls - See that's the sort of MPG I thought I'd be getting when I bought the car. I sold my 06 NB TDI (PD) because it was only getting high 20s / low 30s, and I spent about $3k in repairs in a total of 3 weeks (timing belt, 80k service, tires, tandem pump, etc). My mechanic told me the ALH...
  18. caseyfriday

Celcius - doh. Gotcha. Thanks for the advice - yes, I want to clean everything I take off. I'm all about preventative maintenance to the extreme.
  19. caseyfriday

Yeah, my main concern is first gear. Once I get to 2k rpm, it's like it's not even giving any more power - all the way up to 5 grand. Then when I let off the accelerator (obviously), the thing almost comes to a halt. I know it's just the torque vs hp of a diesel, but I would love to have more...
  20. caseyfriday

@Smalls - I'm in San Antonio, TX, but I won't need help, as I'll have my wife running these logs in the passenger seat while I drive. Just wanted to make sure they were all available in the free version of VCDS. @NWTTDI - Thanks. You mean 190C, right? More background info I bought the car in...