Search results

1. A

Release date of new Jetta SportWagen TDI?

I suppose I am fortunate to have purhased my 2006 Jetta TDI 5 speed manual transmission vehicle in March 2006, when they were still available. All that I have heard about the 2009 TDI is that biodiesel, which is the fuel I am concerned about, runs less well in the 2009 BlueTooth than in the...
  2. A

Most fuel efficient RPM?

I've driven a 2006 Jetta TDI 5-speed about 38,500 miles since Mar 21, 2006. Mostly trips to and from Madison WI from its outlying farm country were I live. Only rarely do I drive on an interstate, and there, only at 65 MPH maximum. (I never ever exceed posted speed limits, and I don't give a...
  3. A

Replacing the front-end cburb smacker

Replacing the front-end curb smacker One of my sons told me the proper designation of this otherwise useless vehicle part is "valence". He was the one who helped me re-attach it on my 2006 VW Jetta TDI after I had loosened it on one side by hitting it on a curb one inch too high in a parking...
  4. A

Is the tdi an interference engine.

TR, you seem to know your way around TDI engines and tasks such as timing belt replacements. I checked out www.memtalmanparts.com. Their timing belt replacement kits are inexpensively priced. What suggestions do you have for a detailed shop manual for my car (2006 Jetta TDI, PD, 5-speed manual...
  5. A

1) What does "A4", "A5", etc, refer to in VW model designation? All I know from the information I received from the dealer is that I own a 2006 VW Jetta TDI with 5-speed manual transmission. 2) What significance do the A-series designations play in ordering parts and services? 3) What would...
  6. A

Assuming all of the above about TDI timing belts... Assuming all of the above, 1) What is the safe mileage interval with the factory-installed TDI timing belt? 2) What is the safe mileage interval with a replacement TDI timing belt? 3) How can a TDI owner check the condition of his...
  7. A

2006 Jetta TDI; fuel filter r&r

Thanks, soberups. I trust it's not more complicated than changing a light bulb in boiling water. I stopped in at Zimbrick VW in Middleton WI yesterday morning, and one of the mechanics there gave me some additional pointers. My fuel filter unit has no pressure bleed screw to loosen, and the...
  8. A

VW finds oldest running VW diesel in CA

I would not mind buying that 1977 VW Rabbit diesel. It gets slightly better mileage than my 2006 VW Jetta TDI w/5-speed manual transmission. Arnold Harris Mount Horeb WI
  9. A

2006 Jetta TDI; fuel filter r&r

1) Exactly how does one remove and replace fuel filters on the 2006 VW Jetta TDI? 2) The filters on this model year vehicle are mounted on the left front side of the engine, and have a light-colored top plate that is attached to the filter with five torq-head bolts or screws arranged in a...
  10. A

Can TDI fuel filters be cleaned and re-used?

Whitedog, My wife and I have been in and around eastern Oregon. Back in summer 1975, during graduate school, we drove our (then) 1965 VW bus from the midwest, up into Canada, across the continent to Prince Rupert, down the coast via the inland waterway autoferry, down Vancouver island, over to...
  11. A

VW should re-engineer TDIs for biodiesel

40X40, I've only actually seen and held what I assume was an XP100 just once. At a NAPA auto parts store over in the village of Mount Horeb that doubles as a firearms dealer. So I can't say I know much about them. But I just now googled up "XP100" and got a mini-education. I was shooting...
  12. A

People like that are fakers, Soberups. Like that Texas expression W slings around: "All hat, no cattle". If you're the real McCoy, you don't have to flash it around in pigmobiles. The guns are fun. The difficult part is to clean and reload all the .45 brass. I'm also a trained range safety...
  13. A

Soberups, Unless somebody around here goes for a BioWillie franchise or something exotic like that, or some super truck stop for the OTR crowd puts up a pump for just that fuel, the nearest B20 is in Monroe, Wisconsin, which is about an hour south of here over not-ready-for-prime-time roads...
  14. A

Soberups, 1) Did I ever describe you as a "naive bleeding heart liberal"? 2) I own and shoot a paid of real Thompson submachine guns, Model M1A1, .45 caliber, both with the later hammerless slamfire bolts. Just like Tom Hanks carried in "Saving Private Ryan". Except that mine shoot real...
  15. A

1) Ah... now I know why. 2) What criteria do you use to select B20 vs B50? Arnold Harris Mount Horeb WI
  16. A

Dhdenney, Northern Kentucky is about a 10-12 hour drive from south central Wisconsin (I there last in October 1995 for some machinegun matches at the big private gunrange setup in Knob Creek, about two hours southwest of Louisville.) In short, a bit distant from my daily line of march...
  17. A

dhdenney, When I ask rhetorical questions, I label them as such. Thanks for your help on this. All you veteran members of TDI Club. I ask a lot of technical questions which probably sound hopelessly naive to you. But whenever I am uncertain of anything, related to a subject of importance to...
  18. A

dhdenney, Re response to question 6. All I ever have burned is B5 from the same farm co-op filling station in Middleton, Wisconsin, in all of almost 17 months. Would that B5 have been enough make sure no petrodiesel gunk ever got stuck in my fuel tank, to the same extent as your B20 has done...
  19. A

Good answers all. Now I comprehend that recycling fuel filters in a TDI is not workable. So let me recast my original question. 1) How frequently should I replace the fuel filter, considering that I have burned VWoA approved B5 biodiesel since I took delivery of the car? 2) If I decide to...
  20. A

Is it feasible to clean and re-use TDI fuel filters? I have a 2006 VW Jetta TDI with 5-speed manual transmission and about 23500 miles. I have used B5 exclusively since I took delivery of the vehicle in March 2006. All my servicing has been done by the VW dealership. I have never even seen the...