Search results

1. B

Will 2000 ECU work on 1998 Beetle so I Can Flash Via OBDII Port?

Hi everyone, I have a 1998 beetle with and ALH, and I was wanting to edit the ECU tune. What would happen if I got an ECU from a year 2000 TDI car and plugged it in? It's my understanding you can't flash the 99 and back ECUs over OBD2. I've successfully flashed several cars 2000 and up, so...
  2. B

Diesel Generator for the end of the world

That's actually a pretty neat setup. As someone who has installed a few generator transfer switches, it can be a pain to reroute the service entrance out of the existing panel, and into the transfer switch. Then going from the transfer switch back into the panel can be a challenge to make it...
  3. B

Best Turbo for Fuel Economy-GTC1446VZ, GTC1549VZ, VNT-15, or VNT-15/17 Hybrid?

Check out the link below, it has TURBINE (not compressor) maps at the various vane positions: https://dieselnet.com/tech/air_turbo_vgt.php I think this will shed a little light on the subject. The bottom graphic appears to confirm there is poor turbine efficiency at the low end, when the...
  4. B

I honestly don't know which turbo would give the best fuel economy, which is why I started this thread to get input to see if anyone had knowledge on this topic. If I had to guess, the newer designs should perform better. I'd put my money on the GTC1446vz or the GTD1449vz. Like I mentioned...
  5. B

I think IndigoBlueWagon and others followed this exact path. They had larger turbos, then went back to the VNT 15 for better low end response and torque. Any of the other turbos I listed will run circles around the VNT15 while giving as good or better low end response. The only reason not to...
  6. B

I'm going to reiterate what oilhammer and others have said: If you want a diesel generator, go buy a diesel generator unless you are dying to have a difficult and complicated project. Between the high cost of sourcing all the parts individually, figuring out the injection system so it runs at...
  7. B

Honestly, if you are in So Cal, your best bet will likely be solar panels. Don't get me wrong, I have a 8kw Westerbeke (3 cylinder Mitsubishi diesel) wired to my house, but I'm realistic about what it can and can't do. The mostly likely serious use for me will be similar to a bad winter storm...
  8. B

Hi, I'm wondering which of the following turbos would give the best fuel economy for a BEW Golf, automatic transmission, stock or only a mild increase in power, driven in a fairly normal commuter fashion (no hypermiling): GTC1446VZ CW : 34,1mm inducer / 46mm exducer TW : 34,5mm exducer / 39mm...
  9. B

Differences between GTC1446vz, GTC1549vz and GTD1449vz

Hi Guys, I have a 2000 jetta that I'm putting in a new ALH engine. I definitely want to upgrade the turbo from the stock vnt15 and I don't want to lose any bottom end torque by going to a VNT 17, but I definitely want something that will be able to push 25-28psi of boost if needed. I've...
  10. B

Best Turbo for Torque and MPG

There's no question the VNT17 would be enough turbo for my goals. The question is is it too much? Being physically larger means it'll spool slower, but by how much? Could I edit the n75 map and still generate more low end torque, or will it risk surging? If I could gain more power at...
  11. B

I guess another way to look at my question is which ones of the "small" turbos generates the most boost? Going to a physically larger turbo is going to lag more, spool later or run the risk of surging. I'm perfectly fine writing my own tunes, so I'm not worried about adding things as I go. I...
  12. B

Greetings! I recently purchased a 2002 TDI jetta with a manual transmission and a sticking turbo. I'm going to replace the turbo as I was told it was original with 219,xxx miles. My question is what does everyone recommend I replace the turbo with? On my 2000 Jetta TDI, I am running a VNT 15...
  13. B

Math questions for the gurus

I don't know if you have seen this, but the math might be all sorted out for you already: http://www.not2fast.com/turbo/glossary/turbo_calc.shtml I'm not completely sure I fully thought through the math, but it seems to me that MAF * VE is the formula you are looking for. In order to account...
  14. B

DIY EGT display approx $16

I think I offered something of the sort in another thread. To be honest, I haven't read this entire thread, so I don't know what the exact design ideas people want or are considering. Were you guys wanting the board and screen to be in a single case, or would you guys like the board in a...
  15. B

Issues with Clutch Fully Disengaging on 2000 Jetta ALH

I know this was a couple months ago, but I called South Bend and told them what happened, and that there wasn't that many miles on the clutch. They requested I send the clutch back for inspection, which I did. Not long after they got it, they sent me a new replacement kit. Not too happy I had...
  16. B

Auto pump with Manual injectors

I am pretty much running your exact setup: Manual stock nozzles with an 11mm pump. I never really experienced the car before the swap, but it does provide a nice extra bit of power compared to other stock TDIs I've driven. As far as exactly what the difference in fuel flow is, that is up for...
  17. B

Awesome! Thanks. That should keep you from having to email everyone :-)
  18. B

Anyway you could share the code for your projects?
  19. B

EGT gauges - what are my options?

It should be fairly simple to display oxygen sensor information. Since arduinos have multiple analog pins, you can just run a wire from the oxygen sensor to one of these pins. The ADC (analog to digital converter) on the arduino is 10 bit (1024 steps), so you just have to divide 5 by 1023 (The...
  20. B

EGT gauges - what are my options?

This project has been in the back of my mind for a while. You should start another thread, and I'd be happy to contribute. My plan was to create CAD files so I could 3d print a clean case. Would you mind sharing your code?