Search results

1. Chessie

Re-boot (Driveshafts)!

Nicely done, thanks for the pictures. I'm with you, a few hours effort, but worth it knowing what you have, and it's probably better than the new replacement parts that are not OEM...
  2. Chessie

Hot wheel 1996 B4V

Simple Diagnostics... Jack up that side of the car and spin the wheel. What does it sound/feel like? Does it spin freely? Does it grab every time around at the same spot in the rotation? If it does, then the brakes are grabbing and can heat up. If it is making a constant grinding noise, then...
  3. Chessie

B4 Rear window makes grinding sound going down, problems going back up

Winders... Electric motors are pretty reliable. (While they *can* fail completely, your's seems to be *trying* to work, but meeting too much resistance.) The bolts that hold the motor in, and the track, are supposed to be green in color. If they came lose, then you need to put them back in and...
  4. Chessie

No Brake Pressure

What does a wet carpet mean? That there is some liquid in it. :D If the liquid is slippery, and feels a little bit like brake fluid, then there is a slight chance that it could be brake fluid.... What everyone is getting at is that the fluid that you are putting into the master cylinder...
  5. Chessie

B4 Homemade Trailer Hitch

Hitch-job Not only is the hitch first class, but the presentation (Slide show) get's an A+ as well, nicely done. Chessie
  6. Chessie

Top Dead Center?

Take it apart, then align it.. Like others have said... Remove the old stuff.. - Put the locking pin in the Injection pump. - Put the cam-locking plate in place. - Find TDC and then install the belt and the tension-er. Now check everything. It is easy to jump a tooth or move the crank as you...
  7. Chessie

Rear Jack Points

If it were at the shop... If you took it to a shop for 4 new tires, they would lift it on the metal seam just in front of the wheels, under the door, so you could do that. If it were me, I'd take a piece of wood and saw a kerf in the wood so that the wood straddled the seam and lift on both...
  8. Chessie

Leaking coolant

Dash Removal There are posts in this forum that give detailed instructions on how to remove the dash. This is done to replace the foam that is covering the holes in the "baffles" or "flapper valves" that direct the air in the heating/air conditioning/ventilation system. Once the foam that...
  9. Chessie

Heater core question...

Bypass.. Shouldn't be any negative implications in the summer... If you tried this in the winter in a cold area, you'd fix it fast. I think that they are either 3/4" or 5/8", certainly not 1/2" that's too small. I think that you can get 3/4" PVC fittings in those hoses. I used to have a...
  10. Chessie

Clutch cylinders

Three years normal? NO, that is too short of a lifetime, even for cheap replacement parts. A clutch (slave or master) is self-lubricating, and if it is machined well, shouldn't leak for years. My original cylinders are from 1997, and have 343,xxx miles on them. (I'd hate to try to figure out...
  11. Chessie

1996 VW B4V Passat Steering alignment drift. **NEED ADVICE**

Tie-rod ball joints? When these wear, they allow a little play, which changes the toe-in depending on whether you are accelerating or decelerating. (Tell-tale sign is the "left pull on acceleration" and "right pull on deceleration" (or vice versa.)) Check the tie-rods, inner and outer. As...
  12. Chessie

Control arm front bolt stuck

Drill a hole... Drill a hole (or grind an opening as another poster said) and push it trough from the back-side using a drift. If you're worried about the presence of a hole when you are done, then weld a small piece of metal back in place. Don't like these suggestions? Replace it! (Good...
  13. Chessie

Coolant leak 98 Jetta

Y ? My Passat has a 'Y' hose down by the oil filter that goes from one size (1.5"?) down to another size (1"?) that makes this hose hard "jury rig" in a pinch. Additionally, the 'Y' fitting is plastic and molded into the three pieces of curved and different sized hoses. Bottom line was that...
  14. Chessie

Oil pressure issue.... Help!

DING... flashing oil light... When I get an audible warning and the flashing "Oil" light (Red), it means that I'm low on oil. (I have a slow leak, go figure, my car is 14 years old and has 343,000+ miles on it...) This usually occurs on me, when I take an exit ramp at speed. If I hang the turn...
  15. Chessie

Mysterious Coolant Loss

Vee Dub Red? Are you using the (expensive) VW Red Coolant? That stuff will leave a trail that you can see if it is leaking and drying up. I'm assuming that since you have replaced all that other stuff, you would have seen such a trail, or a leak. Now for the bad news...if I'm right... One of...
  16. Chessie

Passat Trunk Lock Problem

Metal thing that always breaks at the bend? If by this:
  17. Chessie

Timing belt tensioner failed, but no bent valves - How possible??

A miracle? Divine intervention? Well, let's go with what we know... #1 The shop says that no damage occurred to the pistons #2 There are no bent valves and strikes on the pistons Therefore, no valve strikes.... The springs in the valves are designed to close the valves... they obviously...
  18. Chessie

Clutch quit on me

No Room for a socket.. You could try using something like this...
  19. Chessie

I think im overpressurizing the coolant

Resolved the issue.. Well, *that* was easy.... What a PITA... all the parts, time and money you had to throw at it. This forum is great when people share their thoughts and problems, helping others who may run into similar issues, so you've done us all some good by sharing. Happy motoring...
  20. Chessie

Beating the Summer heat while Parking

Cooling ideas... As liquid evaporates, it cools... I've seen some survival shows on the Discovery Channel where the tough guys will urinate on a shirt or towel and then wrap it around their head. Perhaps you could pee on the seat just before you leave.... Chessie (BTW, you had all of the...