Search results

1. D

Front end vibration when braking over 45mph

I did on the driver side, just with the set screw, about an inch from the edge if the rotor. It wobbled within 2 of the thousandths lines. I ran out of time and didn't check the passenger side rotor. Hub was equally as good as the driver side so I figured if the rotor was not crap it's be...
  2. D

New brakes are on. I got a dial indicator and checked for run out on the hub, it was nearly perfect, which is great. I went with Akebono ceramic pads. They don't seem to sweep the entire rotor. They leave about 5-10mm unswept on the center of the rotor. Google is inconclusive if this is normal...
  3. D

I don't have exceptional pads on there now, but I don't think they're junk either. Would I have to replace the rotors or is there a way to deglaze them?
  4. D

2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI with 99k miles At around 80k I had the dealer change the front brakes due to vibration above 45mph when braking. Problem solved. Then covid happened and the car sat for a while. Once we started driving, the vibration came back. Figuring it was warped rotors, I swapped...
  5. D

B5.5 Poor heat after Balance Shaft Delete

I back flushed the heater core today. I could not believe the amount of deposits that came out, probably a cups worth if I collected it. Refilled the lost coolant and bled the system. Had heat before I was out of the garage on a cold engine, unbelievable. Still getting some gurgles from the...
  6. D

Sorry, drove to work today and could hold my hand on the hoses. That was maybe 10 miles if highway driving. I did not attempt holding the hoses after said hour of driving the other day. I'm hoping the thermostat is good, just replaced it with OEM new as part of the t-belt job.
  7. D

Definitely not hot enough to prevent me from keeping my hands there, neither was the top hose on the radiator. I have to assume that these cars are similar enough to MK4 TDI's in cold weather, in the respect that cold weather + highway speeds = slow warm up times (despite needle on dashboard)...
  8. D

Update here.. Bled the system several times. I am now to the point where as soon as I remove the hose enough for coolant to escape, it comes out right away. I've had the coolant tank held up as high as it would go when doing this. I now have no heat at all. I have not verified that the car...
  9. D

Thanks for the responses everyone. I will definitely confirm the actual coolant temp with VCDS before going any further. I know from my ALH jetta that quick warm ups in colder weather is a bit of an oxymoron. I did not. The whole balance shaft job took place over the course of about 3...
  10. D

Hello everyone. Questions up front: What's the best way to purge air from the coolant system? Does anyone have any other ideas on what could be happening? Details: I deleted the balance shaft on my B5.5 Passat TDI. Of course along with that I changed the water pump and thermostat. The car...
  11. D

Where to get TT control arm bushings?

I have bought from rockauto and cascade German. Both were good quality Lemforder bushings. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  12. D

B5.5 Aftermarket (i.e. Depot brand etc.) or Factory (i.e.Hella) healight replacements

That is a crazy warranty policy I was never aware of. I just looked it up and was surprised by it. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  13. D

B5.5 Aftermarket (i.e. Depot brand etc.) or Factory (i.e.Hella) healight replacements

Rockauto has the same hella lights for $120/side plus shipping. Throw in the 5% off code that's always available and you're looking at around $240 shipped for a set... Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  14. D

inner outer tie rod changing advice

I did this last week as well. I removed the control arms to allow room for an adjustable wrench on the inner tie rod "nuts". I had to turn the steering wheel to the limits on each side to get enough access. I needed more leverage, so I slid my floor jack under the wrench and slowly pumped it...
  15. D

Pressed control arm rear bushings through control arm?

Yeah, but I was using the Audi TT bushings, and the other arm is good, so I'd rather have both sides be the TT ones. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  16. D

Small update.. Went to install the control arms and while negotiating them into the subframe, the bushing literally fell out of the sleeve. So it definitely deformed the bushing enough to make it not hold into the sleeve. I'm torn whether I trust the control arm any longer or if a new bushing...
  17. D

The way I was imagining it was that the bushing (and possibly the dowel used to press it) would have deformed the control arm itself. Thinking of it your way, steel is stronger than aluminum and the rubber is compressible, so your point seems valid. When comparing the control arms, the...
  18. D

When I bought the bushings a year ago, I was hoping to avoid getting an alignment by taking the control arms off with the ball joints still attached. Well it turned out my tie rods are toast, so I could have just replaced the entire control arm! :rolleyes:
  19. D

I'm thinking he just wasn't paying close enough attention/using common sense to realize he was pressing the bushing all the way through. Everything I've ever pressed has been slow going and cautious so as to make sure I wasn't wrecking anything. I'd imagine that with a 75 ton press, you're...
  20. D

I had a friend doing some work for me since I do not have access to a press. He pressed out the old rear bushings of my control arms correctly (pressing from the tapered side). Upon installing one of the new ones, he pressed the bushing through and out the control arm. He was able to re-press...