Search results

1. B

TDI ALH Starting Problems

I had inadvertently screwed the retaining ring onto the new level sending unit in a cross threaded manner. That allowed air to seep into the tank and the fuel to return to the tank. I thank you for your post. I am considering giving up my DIY career and take up knitting ;-)
  2. B

TDI ALH Starting Problems

I withdrew a previous post as it was too complicated. I will try again. I have a TDI ALH and I have replaced my Level Sending unit in the Fuel Tank. Since I have done that the vehicle refuses to start. How can I test the new level sending unit to prove it is faulty so I can return it.
  3. B

Silver Specks in Oil Filter

Thanks. I will get on that as soon as I can. Bit of a consensus on this as a first step.
  4. B

OK. That is a great suggestion. I will pursue that as a starting point. Thanks for your post ... Robert
  5. B

Hi I took my oil filter after an oil change and I cut the top and bottom off of it. I then rolled out the pleated filter so it was flat with the inside of the filter positioned up. I noticed an array of silver specs liberally laying on the surface of the filter material. It is magnetic as it...
  6. B

1999 TDI ALH starting problem

Withdrawn.
  7. B

Oil In Intercooler

Thanks for your reply. I am so pleased with the enthusiasm on this forum. You guys are great ...
  8. B

Oil In Intercooler

Sounds good. I will step her down for sure. Thanks ...
  9. B

Oil In Intercooler

I agree with the draining the InterCooler and will add that to my maintenance schedule. I am interested in having a look at the Turbo, by trying to wiggle the turbo shaft. I believe I know where this item is but I am not familiar with the term 'boot'. Is it not the hose from the Air Box to...
  10. B

Oil In Intercooler

It may have been drained but it would have been done by my mechanic and his writing is terrible ;-) . I will proceed with the drain idea and every oil change(which I am doing myself now) I will keep a close eye on it by removing the screw as suggested. Thanks again for your post ...
  11. B

Oil In Intercooler

I will get at it a bit later in the week. Thanks for your reply ...
  12. B

Oil In Intercooler

OK I will do it that way and check it regularly. If there is a lot of oil does that mean the Turbo is near dying? Thanks for the post ... Robert
  13. B

Oil In Intercooler

I will definitely have a look into it. Thanks for the confirmation of csstevej post.
  14. B

Oil In Intercooler

OK. I will look into that and see what is in there. Some have drilled a small hole in the lowest part of the plastic and drained it that way. Then they put a screw in the hole but I must say I don't like drilling holes in any part of a car. Thank you for your reply ...
  15. B

Oil In Intercooler

Hi I have a 1999 TDI Beetle and a friend of mine asked me if I ever drained the oil from my Intercooler. I had never heard of this issue. I have over 290 k on the engine and have regularly serviced it over the years. He mentioned that a friend of his had serious engine problems, as he had...
  16. B

1999 Beetle Front Axle Nut torquing procedure

OK I guess they at least are in agreement between manuals. Thanks for all your posts. I really do appreciate it.
  17. B

Thanks. I agree with you that 200+ is way too much for the Axle Nuts on my Beetle. I cannot believe that Bentley and Chilton both have the 221 ft-lbs in their manuals. I know that the nut is backed off, etc etc, but that initial torque sure stretches something, I would think. I sure would...
  18. B

I am not a mechanic and have no idea what a 'torque multiplier' is. Could you expalin what it is? I have no problem getting to the Torques up to 250 ft-lb but what I want is what is the procedure to Torque front wheel nuts on my 1999 Beetle.
  19. B

The Bentley Book, I managed to get, says the following, on page 40-8 & 40-9: Vehicle on its wheels. Tighten 12 point nut to 300NM (221 ft-lb) and then loosen one full turn. Tighten to 50NM (37 ft-lb). Using a torque angle measuring wrench, tighten 1/12 of a turn (30 degrees) I acquired a...
  20. B

Yes, I will track down the Bentley page. I can get a borrow of one, I think. Thanks for that information. Robert