Search results

1. M

Help needed outside Davenport Ia.

As the title says, my nephew is having issues with his '01 TDI Beetle outside Davenport Iowa in a rest area on the I-80. Seems to be fuel related but now he has started throwing parts at it and trying to diagnose from four states away is nigh impossible. Any help out there in TDI-land?
  2. M

'04 Jetta DSG speedometer gear

OK so I've received word that a fellow TDIer has been told the the speedometer gear in his '04 Jetta TDI with DSG is broken and that they'd gladly replace it to the tune of ~$900.00 U.S. Symptoms are wobbly speedo needle so bad young female driver got a speeding ticket. I'm stumped here, anyone...
  3. M

Tiggy TDI

OK, so who's heard what about VW bringing the Tiguan TDI to the American market? I read in the Nov. 2011 issue of Motor Trend a prediction of a diesel Tiggy in 2012. Umm... still no joy AFAIK. Is it just the usual VW smoke screen?Anyone else hear anything? Inquiring minds want to know!
  4. M

Torque Wrench broken, suggestions to replace

As the title suggests, my Craftsman Digitorque torque wrench has decided to take a permanent vacation and since Sears doesn't have the free fix or replace policy on the torque wrenches, I'm looking to replace. I do like the way the digitorque locks and overall I'm pleased with the way it works...
  5. M

From snowy hells heart...

OK, since Marty has generously offered his TDI-epicenter to the collective in July again, is there any interest in the long running Memorial Weekend TDI GTG in beautiful, snowy Kalkaska? We are willing to hold it here in the garage-A-trois which does have heat :eek: (you can never tell up here)...
  6. M

Michigan Memorial weekend GTG

OK, it seems more than a few people missed the passing of the diesel fired torch for the traditional Memorial weekend GTG here in Michigan so I'm starting a new thread and volunteering to attempt to fill some awfully big shoes (Hondo and Jetaah) by holding the GTG at our place just outside...
  7. M

GTG in Mi. N.L.P.

As hinted at during Onehotspuds' great GTG, I would like to offer my (our) new place in Kalkaska as a GTG destination. The address is 2198 Dean Dr. N.W., Kalkaska, Mi. 49646. I'm about 2 miles West of the U.S. 131/M-66 and M-72 intersection on the North side of town. From that intersection, go...
  8. M

Michigan Biodiesel Summit

There are alternative fuel conferences scheduled for next week in the Bay City, Saginaw area and both require reservations. The first is Tuesday, March 14th at the Hampton Township Hall, 801 West Center Rd. (M-25) Bay City, Mi. Free admission, runs from 8:30 AM to Noon. It's being put on by the...
  9. M

JETaah kudos

I feel I must add my voice once again to all those singing the praises of JETaah (Marty Bergel) and his TDI and general VW expertice. He's a great resource and asset to this community, which is a great resource and asset to the VW community in itself. Marty had an opening in his busy schedule...
  10. M

Intermittent "No start" condition on B4...

Intermittent \"No start\" condition on B4... More probable causes are bad (dirty) ground connections or a bad ignition switch. VW has a recall on the ignition switch and if you can duplicate the no-start by wiggling the key in the switch while trying to start, you've probably found the...
  11. M

Cross Lake Carferry drops prices

Ahoy! I thought I'd mention to the TDIers coming to the 'fest from the East that the Lake Express carferry is offering a cut rate of $40.00 U.S. on their late crossing from Muskegon, Michigan to Milwaukee Wisconsin in August. The boat leaves Muskegon at 11:00 PM (2300 hours for you old...
  12. M

Northern Michigan GTG? CANCELLED! RETRY T.B.A.

ATTN! We'll try this again later. I'll repost on this forum when ready.As I'm looking to move to the Traverse City area and Dear Wifey is already living there, necessitating weekend road trips ( in the TDI Passat). I'd like to attempt to set up a social GTG in the NW Mi. area as an...
  13. M

Axle Nut Torque Spec.

I've run across some conflicting information on the torque spec. for the axle nut on a '96 Passat sedan TDI and I'm hoping some of the more knowledgable folks here can set me straight. My Bentley manual on CD says to torque to 195 Ft./Lbs. I have heard that the paper version of the Bentley gives...
  14. M

Passat rear caliper guide pins

A question for the collective,Has anyone had any luck finding just the rear brake caliper guide pins for the B4 Passats?I'm only finding the carrier with guide pins combination or the caliper pin boot kits without the guide pins themselves.I've run afoul of the dreaded guide pin seize syndrome...
  15. M

Michigan biodiesel for school busses

An article in the local fishwrap (Saginaw News) recently gave notice that Michigan State University is teaming up with soybean lobbyists and the Michigan Assn. for Pupil Transportation to host eight workshops statewide. The mid-Michigan event is Tuesday, May 13th from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM at Four...
  16. M

Great drive in Ohio

I had the opportunity to make a fun, semi-backroad run in the great state of Ohio a couple of Sundays ago and with this new forum I feel the need to share. The road is Ohio state highway 83 and I drove it from I-70 North to just about the Lake (Erie that is). The fun part was from New Concord to...
  17. M

97 Passat right CV joint boot torn

I've got the same dilemma facing me with my '96 Passat. How far we can go on it, I imagine, will vary with the conditions you drive it in. I've never had one disintegrate on me, yet but I'm thinking I don't really want to push the envelope and be the first person I know to get stranded from...
  18. M

Is Zaino worth it, if you have a light-colored car?

It seems to be a matter of taste more than anything in my experience. I've used the Zaino products on my yellow NB and I liked the results. It seemed to make the yellow look "creamier" with great, long lasting shine. I dunno if yellow is light enough for ya but it worked for me I also think...
  19. M

'98 NB TDI Stalls when cold

\'98 NB TDI Stalls when cold '98 TDI has taken to stalling during the time before the engine is warmed. There is also noticably more smoke (blueish) on startup. Occasionally the restart sounds like there is no compression and engine will not start until after a few tries but mostly the engine...