Search results

1. S

Engine unlevel after clutch & new mounts

Engine unlevel after new clutch & mounts Last night I installed the transmission bracket, new transmission mount, and new engine mount in my 2005 New Beetle. I triumphantly removed the overhead support bar but quickly deflated when I realized the engine is not level. Here's a link to the...
  2. S

02J trans bracket/console/side mount bolts and torque

I'm re-mounting my 05 NB transmission after a clutch swap, and I need to bolt the mounting bracket/console/side mount to the trans case. This is done with 3 M10x80 bolts with 16mm hex heads numbered 1-3 below: I looked several times in my New Beetle Bentley and couldn't find torque values for...
  3. S

Oil pan installation

Here's what I think I need to do to install the oil pan on my 2005 NB. Please tell me what you think. Also, I have some questions at the end. Remove the heads from a couple of hardware store M7x40 (or so) bolts to searve as guide screws Take stock of all tools and materials needed and make...
  4. S

Standard transmission bracket bolts

I'm installing the 02J standard transmission on my 05 New Beetle after a clutch change.. I removed the transmission several years ago and then life happened, and I'm just now getting it put back together. When i removed the transmission, I tried to keep the screws with their parts. The...
  5. S

Replacing BEW intake with PD150

While doing other work on my 05 NB, I noticed that my EGR valve is heavily fouled along with the intake manifold. I have on hand a clean PD150 manifold and EGR valve, and I'm wondering if I can just swap it in, or if it's more complicated than that. I see extra gizmos on the BEW manifold that...
  6. S

Sealant for Victor Reinz rear main seal 81-90010-00

I am installing a Victor Reinz rear main seal 81-90010-00 for BEW on my 2005 NB. All the online instructions I've seen talk about applying RTV sealant to the back of the seal before installing. However, this seal has a sealing fin in all the places where I would apply sealant. See photo...
  7. S

Is my BEW head gasket leaking oil?

I'm changing the clutch on my 2005 Beetle TDi. It has about 235K miles on it, and the engine block is covered with oil from about 2cm above the head gasket down on the front, transmission end, and back. The area between the oil filter and engine block is also covered in oil. I haven't...
  8. S

Mystery noise (and hearing test)

My 2003 currently has 306K miles. I want to chip it and add big injectors, but I'm trying to work out all the niggling issues to make sure it's sound before I add power. I've resolved 2 of 3 such issues. The one left is a high-frequency noise generated when engine braking at about 3000 RPM or...
  9. S

Help! Can't get 02J right seal flange out

My 03 Jetta 5-speed had a leak at the right drive axle where it exits the diff. I needed to change the right axle anyway, so I went ahead and removed the drive flange/stub axle in order to change the seal. The seal on the right has an attached metal seal flange - Google part # 02J409528A for...
  10. S

Acceleration pulsing, 40-55 mph

I've had an issue on my 2003 that has gotten worse over the last 2-3 years and about 75K mikes, and I'd like suggestions on how to diagnose it. From about 40-55 mph and under acceleration, there is a pulsing vibration that seems timed about to the rotation of the wheels. The pulsing is uneven...
  11. S

Review of Powerflex Polyurethane Dogbone pad PFF85-420

I had my transmission mount replaced about a year ago and have been meaning to replace my other mounts ever since. Today I replaced my engine mount and dogbone mount. Both were stock from idparts, but I replaced the main buffer on the dogbone mount with: Powerflex Polyurethane Dogbone Motor...
  12. S

How to move a car with axles out

I'm partly through a clutch replacement on my 2005 NB. I don't have time to finish the job probably until September. However, I need to have my garage door replaced, and the door man needs a couple of feet of clearance to do his work. Right now, the transmission is out, the axles are out, and...
  13. S

Engine vibration peaking at 3500 RPM

My 2003 Jetta Wagon ALH just turned 300K miles this past week. The injectors are worn, and I'm planning to replace them. As I already have a VNT-17, tacotacto SMIC, and Luk clutch, bigger injectors and a tune seems like a good idea. But more than performance, I would like the car to be...
  14. S

2013 Sportwagen purchase advice

I currently own 1998 AHU, 2003 ALH, and 2005 BEW TDi's. I do a lot of my own work to the level of replacing timing belt or changing a clutch. I keep my cars a long time and drive them a lot -- each of my TDi's has between 230-290K miles on them, and I'm hoping to take my 2003 to 500K. I plan...
  15. S

How to pick a good salvage rear beam axle?

My rear alignment is off and causing abnormal tire wear on my 2003 Jetta wagon. This is probably because the rear beam axle was tweaked somewhere along the way (I'm the third owner). Once solution is to install alignment shims. However, since the rear axle is bent, the optimal solution would...
  16. S

Rear hub re-use?

I need to install rear alignment shims -- both sides. I've read that hub removal often requires a puller. What are my chances of being able to re-use the hubs? I'm concerned that the puller will destroy the bearings. If I count on needing new bearings, I can pre-order them and have them on...
  17. S

Clutch Dust Shield/Engine Cover

The car is 2005 VW New Beetle TDi (BEW engine) with 5-speed manual transmission, VIN 3VWCR31C05M402633. I’m replacing the clutch, and in the process, the “cover plate” (clutch dust shield) between the engine and transmission got banged up. I might be able to salvage the old one, but I’d...
  18. S

ALH power dip at about 2800 RPM with VNT-17

My 2003 Jetta TDi Wagon has a VNT-17 and tacotaco SMIC (intercooler). I purchased it with a bad VNT-15 turbo, so I can't compare old vs. new. I have stock injectors, exhaust, and tune. With accelerator floored (such as when getting on freeway), usually in 3rd gear, I've noticed a power and...
  19. S

Clutch slave cylinder question

See THIS THREAD if you want some background on my question. I'm in the process of removing the transmission on my 2005 New Beetle in order to change the clutch. I've come to the part where I unbolt the clutch slave cylinder (without removing the hydraulic line) and set it aside. However, when...
  20. S

Help diagnosing clutch/trans problem

I've been loaning out my 2005 NB to a friend who is in town for about a month. A few days ago, she called because she was stranded in traffic. She said there was a loud bang, and then the car wouldn't shift out of gear, so she got into the middle turn lane and killed the engine. When I got...