Search results

1. S

Wiper stuck on issue

I am not sure if this might apply to your situation but... I had a similar issue with the turn signals on my Golf. They would activate correctly but fail to turn off when the control stalk returned to the off position. I had read somewhere that squirting electronic contact cleaner into the...
  2. S

BEW Oil leaking out of nowhere, massive leak everything spilled out

Mine lasted for 2 1/2 months then I must have hit a bump or something and it bounced up and got caught by the flywheel that spun it around the back side until it found the gap it fell though originaly.... it could have just fallen out at that point but as things usually go ... it exited...
  3. S

It is not in the transmission. It is in the bell housing below (just barely) below the flywheel. There is a small gap , just big enough for the "last Bolt" to fall through into the bell housing at the indented part of the pan... In my case it was the bolt that is on an angle when you try to...
  4. S

UMMM ... Not a good idea.... I did exactly this when replacing Pan #3. Lost one of the bolts in the indented end of the pan and it fell into the flywheel area. It was -15 and dark at that point so I thought it could just live in there for a few months until it warmed up ... It lasted for about 3...
  5. S

Golf key lock cylinders

Has anyone had any luck "unfreezing" the key lock cylinders on the drivers side door and rear Hatch? The key lock on the Hatch has never worked in the 10 years I have owned the car and in spite of regular lubrication the drivers door lock is now too stiff to lock or unlock. I am currently...
  6. S

I have used 4 of these over the past 10 years on my 2005 Golf BEW : https://www.amazon.com/URO-Parts-038-103-601NA/dp/B0066RWZQ8 ... Two before the Panzer Plate and 2 after ( both times after the Panzer plate were my fault... whoops)
  7. S

Hood release cable retaining clips

Thanks everyone... I just zip tied the cable to the remains of the clips ... works just fine.
  8. S

I am looking for the 2 small plastic clips that hold the cable against the top of the drivers side fender. If you open the hood and stand on the drivers side and look into the engine compartment you can see the release cable running along the top of the fender . The cable runs from the firewall...
  9. S

external air temperature sensor ?

Nope... not on the 2005 Golf ... it seems to be up at the top of the fender on the drivers side under the windshield cowl.
  10. S

external air temperature sensor ?

I was replacing the hood release cable and discovered what looks like a temperature sensor flopping around in the area below the drivers side of the plastic cowl. This is the plastic bit that runs across the the bottom of the windscreen that the windshield wiper drives come through. I had to...
  11. S

Low glow plug voltage

Yes... Not surprised by that at all. I was responding to a post from TDIjarhead explaining in more detail that I had checkd all 4 Glo Plugs and discovered they were "mix and match" ... but after I had bought a set of 4 x 5 volt types..... Interesting that the mix of 5 and 7 volt glo plugs does...
  12. S

Would anyone here know where to find the plastic cable retaining clips that tie the hood release cable to the drivers side edge of the engine bay. There are 2 of them and while replacing the release cable the side of the clip that snaps onto the cable just broke off when I tried to remove them...
  13. S

Low glow plug voltage

I got an error for the #2 glo plug ( 5 volt type) ... I pulled it and measured it and it read open... so I ordered 4 to replace all of them ... then discovered while replacing them that plugs 1 and 2 were the 5 volt type.... 3 and 4 were the 7 volt type .... should have checked before I...
  14. S

Low glow plug voltage

I guess it's time to get hold of the scanning software. I have had the car for 10 years and managed to not need it yet .... so it really is time. I have seen a lot of discussion here about "Tuning" ECUs so I was unsure if it was possible to re-program the ECU to deal with different voltage Glo...
  15. S

Timing Belt Change Advice

I had a toothed idler sprocket bearing on the timing belt of my Subaru forester seize and then self destruct ... it then flew off the centre and bored through the plastic timing case cover at high speed. ( a perfectly round hole) The rad was saved by the metal frame of the rad fan( you can see...
  16. S

Low glow plug voltage

Just chiming in here... I had a glo plug go bad... with CEL and Code. It was #2 if memory serves. I pulled the plug and ordered a full set of 4 based on its type ... 5 volt . Only to later discover while replacing all 4 Glo plugs #1 and 2 were 5 volt types but 3 and 4 were the 7 volt version...
  17. S

BEW Injectors ... just wondering how they work?

Vince ... Thanks for this . It answers all of my questions. It is a lot more complex than I expected ... no wonder new or re-newed injectors are ~$1K US .
  18. S

BEW Injectors ... just wondering how they work?

I understand the the BEW Injectors are driven directly from the Cam shaft ...as opposed to a more usual injector pump ( as on my 1992 Ford with the 7.3 Liter IDI engine). I also understand the fuel feed to the injectors is pressurised by the PD dual pump at the end of the Cam shaft. In images...
  19. S

Most miles out of a stock turbo

439,000 Km on a 2005 Golf TDI as of today ... seems to be using some oil but no noticeable Turbo issues. Been pretty liberal with the oil and filter changes also careful to run Liqui Moly 501 rated oil.
  20. S

Jetta 1.9TDI PD Bump/Knock on gas pedal release/press

I have the same issue with my 2005 Manual transmission BEW... 434,000 KM All of the usual suspects (Dog Bone, control arm bushings, CV joints etc. have been ruled out. I do have a lot of play in the front wheels ... forward and backward ... which seems to indicate an issue with the differential...