Search results

1. S

Leaking injection pump

300,000 miles on 2001 Golf GL. Parked in driveway Saturday night and crank no start on Sunday morning. It didn't look like any fuel was present in the pump inlet line. Thought that fuel filter might be clogged. Replaced OEM filter with aftermarket Wix 33897 which has no thermo valve on...
  2. S

Missfire monitor wont set but no codes present or stored.

Just now received Misfire Readiness so will pass smog tomorrow. After research online, and mulling things over, it seemed likely that my injectors are shot and may be affecting readiness. I found this on YouTube and hooked up and measured injectors on VCDS. My car shows volume of injection...
  3. S

Model Year Fuel Type Number of Incomplete Monitors Allowed to Pass OBD Test1 1996-1999 Gas2 Any one3 2000 and newer Gas2 Evaporative system3 1998-2006 Diesel Zero 2007 and newer Diesel Particulate Filter and Non-Methane HydroCarbon (NMHC)4 On-Board Diagnostic Test Reference - Bureau of...
  4. S

I've been clearing codes and doing the drive cycle readiness rigmarole every two years in California for smog check, since 2012 or whenever it was, when California decided to require a smog check of my 2001 Golf TDI for the first time. Some years were easier than others to get readiness on my...
  5. S

OEM Clutch Replacement

Looks like the consensus is the LUKs win. This is the image I found of failed cut open DMF. Now that I'm a senior (old), less noise and vibration is probably more important. But, putting another 300,000 miles is a goal, anyway...
  6. S

OEM Clutch Replacement

This guy is my hero. Got to respect the work ethic in rain or shine with nary an explicative. It reminds me of The Beatles “A Day in the Life” only this is a week. With 300,000 miles on the VW, I’ve had to face the reality of a dual mass flywheel. They have a planetary gearset and a huge...
  7. S

OEM Clutch Replacement

Thank you for all the great advice. I'm still leaning toward the Sachs so I will just take it apart and see what I've got. Amazon reviews of LUK have a shockingly high number of negatives while there are no Sachs reviews. Without data, I just like the idea of Sachs made in Germany. My TDI is...
  8. S

OEM Clutch Replacement

2001 Golf GL TDI, original owner, just turned over 300,000 miles. Original Clutch, noise just started on depressing clutch. Thought it might be throw-out bearing but after research, it may be flywheel. I was all set to order Sachs kit K70316-01F with DMF but Grip Force Clutches states that...
  9. S

What did you do to your MKIV today?

Coolant Leak, Timing Belt, Alternator, Cntrl Arms Our "new" (newest) car. Golf, bought new in May 01, 258,000 miles. After sitting a month this year, coolant leaked out (had been topping coolant for a few months). Leak in vicinity of water pump or dreaded pipe o-ring. Timing belt past due...
  10. S

Battery life -- how long?

Picked up my 01 in May of 01. Last night, the second OEM battery died. The car is a daily driver, about 2 years in Florida and 2 years in California. And, about 2 years per OEM battery. Two years for reliable battery performance is my experience with most vehicles, not just the TDI.
  11. S

Variable-Vane Turbo?

Works like a variable pitch propeller on an airplane to vary performance for climb or cruise.
  12. S

Fuel Line Air Leaks

Thank you. I don't think I have the same configuration but will keep looking.
  13. S

Diesel Cylinder Cavitation

Thanks. Like the Corn Binder diesels in Fords, the TDI is a "dry liner", and the Fords had trouble until it became well known that the SCA coolant additive was necessary. Now, the major diesel engine manufacturers are marketing or recommending the Shell Rotella Extended Life Coolant that...
  14. S

Diesel Cylinder Cavitation

Does anyone know if TDIs are susceptable to cylinder cavitation. And, is the VW coolant the same as Shell Rotella Extended Life Coolant that protects against cylinder cavitation?
  15. S

Fuel Line Air Leaks

Many reports of owners seeing air bubbles in the clear line between fuel filter and fuel pump. My 01 with 70K miles has had air bubbles since new (before and after new fuel filters). This can't be good for the injectors and pistons. I'm starting to think it is a problem with the fuel...
  16. S

Timing Belt Change

Just wanted to thank the tdiclub for the procedures, photos, and tool sources. The photos and procedures took the anxiety out of doing the procedure for the first time (the pump pin hole position and hidden bolts tips were especially helpful). Also, the metalnerd tools worked great. I did...