Search results

1. physicshogon

Annual Maintenance Costs vs. New Car at this point?

Yeah, I have to agree w/ you on that last statement--plus I don't really care to be tied to a car loan for the next 5yrs or so. I think I'd be more open to the idea of there was a diesel-electric (or just diesel) Volvo S60 available. Mine retails for somewhere between $7-8k from what I've...
  2. physicshogon

Gains/Losses after the "fix"?

No idea what experience you guys had w/ the "fix" but I've lost about 4mpg, even w/ deleting/tuning afterwards. Before the fix, I could consistently get 44-46mpg on the highway, in the summer time, with the AC blowing cold. When I mixed in city driving, I'd be in the range of 42-44mpg. Now...
  3. physicshogon

Annual Maintenance Costs vs. New Car at this point?

Hi guys, first post here and I'm at a crossroads. I've been running a 2012 Passat TDI since new and currently sitting at 250k miles. The car has been pretty solid throughout it's life but over the last 24mo or so, I've spent upwards of $10k on repairs (AC compressor, DMF, vacuum leak...
  4. physicshogon

Turbo Replacement?

After a quarter-million miles, my turbo has gone out and I'm wondering if most of you guys just replace w/ the stock brand (not sure what brand that is) or go with something "upgraded" since you're in there anyway? I know when my other car had an engine replacement under warranty a few years...
  5. physicshogon

Delete Pipe Fitment?

Guys, I'm down to the wire of ordering what I need to delete the emissions equipment on my 2012 Passat but after talking to a couple mechanics I still have a few quesitons. Most guys recommend either the ECO or MAX PERFORMANCE kit from RawTek, HOWEVER, one mechanic has said I could get by w/...
  6. physicshogon

Mystery Coolant Loss 2012 Passat TDI SE

Hell no. I’d lost maybe 5-6oz over 2000mi or so; and not necessarily. Ive since had issues with having to replace cam shaft seals about once a year. But it’s all under warranty because I chose to get the “fix” from VW. Currently sitting at 182k mi on my 2012.
  7. physicshogon

Mystery Coolant Loss 2012 Passat TDI SE

Had the same issue about two years ago. Leak is the seal of the water pump—it needs replacement. Then you’ll be good to go. I only found it because I was getting my timing belt changed at 130k mi. Cost was just over $1100 for everything and an oil change.
  8. physicshogon

Leaky cam shaft seals

Mine is completely stock so I am not sure what the issue is
  9. physicshogon

Leaky cam shaft seals

Guy, in the last 3.5yrs I’ve had my cam shaft seals replaced three times due to leaks. Currently sitting at 181k mi on my TDI. Had the same issue with my 2002 I-6 gas Passat once it hit about 90k mi. Are you guys having the same issue and/or should I expect this to be an ongoing repair after...
  10. physicshogon

How many miles on your passat ?

I’m calling BS on this one. Prove it with a picture of the odometer. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. physicshogon

Passat SEL - how to improve seat comfort?

I don’t know what year yours is, but I have run into the exact same issue about 2000 miles into me on in the vehicle. I have owned mine since late 2011 and I haven’t really found a “fix”. I just deal with it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. physicshogon

Dsg lifespan

How much you charge to do the DMF change in an automatic and where’s your shop located? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. physicshogon

Ghost windows are rolling themselves down

Check the door panels for grimlins—had to clean my out a few months ago. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. physicshogon

Lack of Power...

And THaT is why you don’t modify your engine my friend. VW pays their engineers good money to set these up quite well right out the gate. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. physicshogon

Exhaust help

What model and trim do you have? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. physicshogon

Dsg lifespan

Well goodness, the car is only worth about 8000! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. physicshogon

Dsg lifespan

Well, generally speaking, what does the DMF cost to replace? And what’re the signs that it’s bad? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. physicshogon

Dsg lifespan

I’m at about 180k and haven’t seen any signs of mine going bad but then again...99% of my driving is on the highway.
  19. physicshogon

Dsg lifespan

What causes the DMF to go bad?