Search results

1. D

Group 2 Fix: be careful at dealer!

I did drop off the key in the dropoff box the night before. They call to say that there would be a $130 fee for diagnosing the check engine light if it was not warranty related. It was the AdBlue heater circuit issue that is covered under warranty, so all work was free. Everything was...
  2. D

Group 2 Fix: be careful at dealer!

I am bringing mine in tomorrow for the DEF tank heater issue and for the airbag/heat shield recalls. Initially they said that there were 4 recalls and I said that I did not want any emissions recall work done. I was specific because of this thread. Finally, the rep said that one did require...
  3. D

Winpower Chinese HID headlights

You're welcome. I did not have to remove the bumper, but I removed the grill. Maybe that isn't even needed. The grill snaps into place at the bottom and I broke a few of the locking tabs. But, the grill stays in place.
  4. D

Winpower Chinese HID headlights

I had to use VCDS to avoid the bulb out warning for my headlights. Temporarily, you can turn the headlights to off and them back to auto. I used this posting for mine. The first post has a link for VCDS and the post 143 has a post to try to make the lights brighter. I think it worked for me...
  5. D

Clunk in Front of Car When Starting and Stopping

I have 55,000 miles on the car, so nothing extreme. I have never had an alignment done on the car. I am headed out to my truck with 155000 miles on it to check the tie rods and I would do the alignment after changing tie rods.
  6. D

Clunk in Front of Car When Starting and Stopping

I fixed my problem, but I just wanted to document what I found for anyone that is having the same problem. In the NMS forum, I was only able to find results for a clunk in the rear of the car. For the last 5 weeks, I have had a clunking coming from the front left when starting and stopping the...
  7. D

Undriveable when cold

For me, I just changed the fuel filter at 50,000 miles service (even though it was not required) just before the cold set it. I dried out the bowl and then used the VCDS cable and laptop to run the fuel transfer pump. I started to wonder if I used a different brand, but it looks like I used an...
  8. D

Undriveable when cold

Mine has been doing the same thing this winter. The poor drivability lasts for about 1/2 mile and starts in temperatures below 20 degrees for me. With the recent sub-zero temperatures it was quite bad. I do use the Power Service Fuel Supplement with Cetane Boost. I had the 23N5 update...
  9. D

Recommended layup procedure?

The first thing that comes to mind is to disconnect the battery cable. Batteries die quickly when they lose their charge. I have only left a vehicle for a few months while traveling for work, but I did notice that the tires lost some traction when I hit some wet areas. Now, I tend to do some...
  10. D

Noticeable decrease in MPG with new tires

I had the same thing (indicated decrease in FE) with some Michelin tires when switching from the original Hanook tires. I attributed it to increased rolling resistance. In addition, the tires had a slightly greater diameter so that mileage would appear lower. I noticed this because the MPG...
  11. D

TURBO: Please report NMS turbo failures here. [not a discussion thread!]

Second turbo failure. First at 16550 miles. Miles on car at failure: 44760 Build date: 12/2012 Corrective actions from dealership: new turbo, DPF, oil, oil lines, oils system flush, intercooler, and oil pump Outside air temps at failure: 85 deg F Failure warning signs, if any: none, I had a...
  12. D

From My Cold Dead Hands

I haven't seen anything, but my truck burns at least 2.5 times the fuel. For electric vehicles, the efficiency of the power grid in ones area makes a big difference if driving an electrical vehicle is better or worse than a driving a "gas" vehicle.
  13. D

From My Cold Dead Hands

My first impression was to sell the car back. I do not really trust the car. After looking around, I did not see any cars that really met my criteria for a new car. After thinking things trough, it had been about 30,000 mile since my turbo went out and the failure rates have been on the...
  14. D

DEF adapter fill hose 2015 Passat TDI Highline

I tried a jug with a flexible spout and ended up spilling more DEF than the dealer ever did. The hard part was telling what the level was in the tank. Does the VW hose include a shutoff? I did a search and it looks like it might. A couple of weeks ago, I tried the procedure that Jetta_Pilot...
  15. D

If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

I should include a VW in the list. I do enjoy the ride. If I do stick with a Volkswagen Passat, I would move up to an SEL. When I bought mine, I bought the first car that I drove. That day, I was going to also consider a Chevy Cruze diesel and a Chevy Volt. I never made it to Chevy.
  16. D

No cooling fans with AC on

After I wrote that, I went out to my car and did not hear the clutch cycling. That would explain it.
  17. D

No cooling fans with AC on

The VW manual that I have is titled Refrigerant R134a Servicing. The coolant fan control module does control the A/C clutch and the coolant fan according to the manual, so it could be the problem. I think that you need more information for a diagnosis. I would tent to lean towards believing...
  18. D

If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

I am looking at fuel economy, but I have no ability to drive a manual transmission, so that is off my list. The one thing that does keep pulling me back to keeping the Passat is the DSG transmission. I am leaning strongly towards the buyback, but I still need to hear about the fix. I have...
  19. D

Drivers side Airbag recall

That is what I am thinking. It does not say VW of America or Volkswagen specifically. It just seemed like an odd way to sign away some of your rights when the repair is not available. I could see if one refused to have available parts installed that one should accept risks.
  20. D

Drivers side Airbag recall

I just gad the clock spring cover recall service done at my service. One line item on the repair invoice that I did not see until after I got home was that the dealership told me about the airbag problem and I chose to drive the vehicle away unrepaired. It also stated that I waived the...