Search results

1. A

Injection pump - lost it primer

Injection pump No. I just open it and changed the gasket. Looks like the hammer mod is needed? Al
  2. A

Injection pump I had one. Works wonders with the fuel filter. How do I hook it up? Al
  3. A

1998 Jetta I had a leaky gasket, the second one down from the top, where the upper housing joint in to body of injection pumps. I changing the gasket. No problem. Minimum amount of fuel leak out. The car would not fire. How do you get the pump to primer? Holder the gas paddle down some? Al
  4. A

P0605 PCM Read Only Memory (ROM) Error

P0605 I went ahead and changed the hose in the ECU. There was a hole in it. A vacuum pump does not work. I recorded a modest change in vacuum during 15-30 minutes. The vacuum pump should have no loss of vacuum, if it's too be trusted...
  5. A

P0605 No, I did the vacuum test on the line from the intake planune (sp). I agree, vacuum on hose spilt could draw it in. I taken ECU apart, don't know what I'll find. "your post is unclear" I had a stoke and aphasia, be patient with me. Al
  6. A

P0605 What the difference. I only won't to check for leaks. Vacuum or pressure. Riggers some means of pressure is hard. Al
  7. A

1998 Jetta TDI. ECU hose - I did fix the hose where it joins to the intake. Attach the Vacuum pump. Holds vacuum 15 minutes, only a modest decline. ECU is not the problem. Where else can it be? Al
  8. A

Oil In Intake is this possible

intercooler cleaning I wouldn't water rinse the intecooler, if you have the lower hose off it just push a rag in there to catch any pooled oil. I took mine apart a couple years ago. there has always been a film of oil in all intake plumbing, and intake manifold gum up is a real problem in my...
  9. A

Will I like a TDI?

Like a TDI? You are old enough to look at your car history and determine if a fuel miser fits. Me: 74 Chevy Vega, 89 Grad Am 4 cyl, 82 VW Rabbit, 91 Geo Metro, 3 pick ups that all got about 20 mpg. And I got rid of the 98 Ranger with 20 mpg for my 98 Jetta TDI Much as I love a powerful...
  10. A

98 1.9L TDI fits what year bodies

Anyone know or know a data source that would provide the TDI model years that would allow the interchange of a 1998 1.9L TDI motor? My 98 Jetta TDI runs great at 220k, but the body is starting to show the rust from the Minnesota winters. I've always figured the day would come that I'd want...
  11. A

travel emergency tools and spare parts what do you take with.

Oh yes, my 98 goes through a couple bulbs a year. Last two burned out right and then left ONE day apart. Been stopped by the police the same day one burned out - showed him the spare I had.
  12. A

travel emergency tools and spare parts what do you take with.

Emergency kit tools 98 Jetta TDI. Get one of the 50 Amp glow plug fuses that goes in the fuse block under the dash. I had one and only one blow in the 7-8 years I've owned my 98. It was a cold 5-10 degree winter day. Barely got the car running - probably close to a miracle. And it stunk of...
  13. A

Thinking about buying one, reliability?

IndigoBlueWagon, Yeah, the used car issues is a little comedy line I think. When Paul Brand threw that out on his show I took some offense. I had just sold a 97 Lumina with 134K. New waterpump, serpentine, oil change, brakes full done with semi annual brake fluid flush, rotors turned, fuel...
  14. A

Thinking about buying one, reliability?

TDI Reliability I love my 98 TDI, also reliable as other have noted. HOWEVER, I think most folks saying they are reliable are doing all of the necessary maintenance and doing it ourselves to keep costs reasonable. Sorry, I can not recommend these cars to someone that doesn't do almost all...
  15. A

Replacing the fuel filter?

Fuel Filter Prime Changed the 1998 TDI filetr last night. I've done this in past without priming the filter. Bad idea, a real test of your starter to get the car running again. Priming: The filter has 3 comnnections. The T-connection, don't mess with this one. The connection FROM the fuel...
  16. A

Engine cover

Agree with Joe, ditch the cover. I didn't think it increased the engine noise much. The foam glued to the inside of the cover on my 1998 TDI disintegrated and I pulled all of it off the cover. At that point the cover wasn't doing much sound deadening so it was put on a shelf. Glad I did it, just...
  17. A

Torque Wrenches

Snowcub, You haven't been to Sears lately. When my torque wrench failed it's the first place I went. I THOUGHT when I bought this wrench 10-15 years ago it had a lifetime warranty, maybe it did. Anyway, it doesn't now. I was told there was no warranty left on it, and couldn't be repaired...
  18. A

Torque Wrenches

Torque wrench repair My Craftsman 1/2 drive torque wrench quit at least a year ago. Looks like new, but something broke in there. I really can't recall if it was the ratchet or the clicker, I think the clicker. I searched the internet and Sears for repair options last year - NONE was found...
  19. A

What did you do to your car today?

Timing belt and other belts, tensions, idlers. Water pump (just pulled the pump out of the housing). Pump had 204,000 miles and still seems rock solid, but replacement during the TB change is the way to go. Intake manifold cleaning. Washed and Armor All'ed all the intake parts. Nice and...
  20. A

Intake Manifold Chemical Cleaning

I used Super Clean in the purple jug. Putting the manifold in a small tub and using bottle brushes and toothbrushes was pulling black ooze out, but was taking a lot of effort. And it takes a lot of full strength solution and a perfect size tub to submerge the manifold. Answer: Cover the intake...