Search results

1. R

TB Interval- Mileage v. Time

I handed down my BEW wagon to my daughter so it doesn't see the miles I had been putting on it. I did the last TB (plus Frank06 camshaft and lifters) in Nov. 2018 and 245K miles. Right now, it's at 315K so 70K, just over 5 years. Should I bite the bullet and do it soon or wait until 80K?
  2. R

Torque Values for Oil Cooler Seal Replacement?

Can anyone confirm the torque values for oil cooler, oil cooler base plate, egr cooler, oil filter housing? They're all the same size bolt (and I believe all the same torque spec). I've seen both 9 Nm and 12 Nm mentioned but not sure if either of them is right or if it's another number altogether.
  3. R

2014 Q5 TDI (CPNB) Thermostat Question

Just replace the whole oil filter housing/t-stat assy at once. I've got the dreaded coolant/oil leak in the valley due to leaking oil cooler seals. I pulled the oil filter housing for easier intake manifold removal, and was planning to replace the oil filter housing seals. However the larger...
  4. R

High mileage Q7's

We bought a used 2014 Q7 with 148K miles in Feb. and now have 153K. P.O. had the emissions fix done. It recently started leaking coolant due to the dreaded oil cooler seal leak under the intake manifold. I've torn it all down and about to put it all back together. Drove to the Daytona 500 from...
  5. R

Buyer beware clutch masters fx300 with Whitbread flywheel

UPDATE: I went ahead with the SB Stage 3 DD with the Luk DMF flywheel. Had it installed a couple weeks ago. So far I love driving it. Slightly stiffer pedal than the Whitbread/Clutchmasters setup, but smooth engagement and absolutely ZERO chatter (even with no clutch springs). South Bend...
  6. R

Thanks guys. Good info. None of the SB DMF clutches have springs but all the SMF's do so I'm thinking springs may be less important because the DMF helps with dampening. I don't do a ton of stop-and-go driving so I'm not overly concerned about a stiffer pedal. Because I don't know a lot...
  7. R

Hoping some kind soul with lots of knowledge stumbles across my questions so I can order what I need before the CM clutch leaves me stranded. :-)
  8. R

Please forgive my very limited understanding of this whole B5.5 clutch issue (reading these threads makes my head hurt), but I've got a follow-on question. Will the DMF/SB above be a direct swap with the Whitbread 240mm flywheel and CM clutch? In other words, will I need a different starter...
  9. R

I've pretty much settled on the SB DMF Stage 3 Daily kit: https://www.southbendclutch.com/clutches/K70205-SS-O-DMF-3854/. SB said their DMF kits are designed for use with OEM DMF. Confirming, is this the OEM flywheel for the 1.8T. (It seems to be according to FCP Euro)...
  10. R

Subframe Bushing p/n Question, 5-speed Swap

Thanks for the explanation. I'm gonna crawl under there this weekend and see if I can figure it out. Maybe in the meantime one of the seasoned 5-speed swappers will chime in.
  11. R

Subframe Bushing p/n Question, 5-speed Swap

I'm planning to change the subframe bushings in my B5.5 wagon, and I am trying to figure out which ones I need. The auto was swapped to a 5-speed by the PO. I believe the auto trans uses the same p/n for all four of the bushings (p/n 8D0 399 415 D). However, from the parts diagram it looks...
  12. R

I bought the car from another forum member who had the 5-speed conversion done and so I have minimal information on the tune. It was described to me as a Stage 1.5 and so with stock injectors, I'm sure it's not putting out massive amounts of torque. That's why I'm thinking I could use a DMF.
  13. R

Eight weeks of life got in the way and I'm again able to focus on the B5.5 clutch. I did contact South Bend back in September and the upgrade now runs $500 plus return shipping. The Valeo kit is around $360 with shipping today so pushing $900 with the upgrade. Is this the best $900 option...
  14. R

Is the Valeo 52285615 for sure the right p/n? PartsGeek has the kit for $330. The SB website doesn't say anything that I can find about the upgrade. Did you just call and ask them about it? Since this is my DD, I want to move pretty quickly and get this done before the FX300 self destructs.
  15. R

05 passat 5 speed swap questions

3 years and 60k ago I installed the Whitbread solid flywheel and FX300 clutch. It chattered right from the start, and after waiting 3 years and 60k miles for it to "break in", it's actually getting WORSE. I've had just about enough and am now trying to decide on a replacement, but scared to...
  16. R

Elusive front end clunk

The steering rack was a rebuilt unit from Rich at RackDoctor in South Carolina. I've installed rebuilt racks from him before with no issues. I will try giving the tie rod a couple whacks with the rubber mallet. Last weekend I checked all the nuts/bolts again and everything is tight, including...
  17. R

Elusive front end clunk

Replaced front suspension components and I now have a very annoying clunk (going over a parking lot pot hole, speed bump, etc) in the front end. Replaced nearly all suspension components including Mehle HD control arm kit from FCP Euro, tie rod ends, sway bar links and sway bar, steering rack...
  18. R

Driver side front end Clunk

Came across this thread researching what could possibly be causing a very annoying clunk (going over a parking lot pot hole, speed bump, etc) in the front end. Just replaced nearly all suspension components including Mehle HD control arm kit from FCP Euro, tie rod ends, sway bar links and sway...
  19. R

I don't get on tdiclub much these days. Trying to keep my W12 Phaeton running consistently is an incredibly time-consuming (and nearly futile) proposition. Anyway, I want to second PickleRick's review. I too made the same mistake of dropping $1,000+ on the Whitbred 30-lb solid flywheel and...