Search results

1. B

Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Who said the SCR system won't be covered by the legislated EPA 10 year warranty?
  2. B

Do you think VW will upgrade older cars to urea injection?

While that might apply to usual one-off warranty work, a large recall will involve a separate negotiation and vastly different training. VW will be looking for refit times closer to what happens on the assembly line where every step takes 1-2 minutes.
  3. B

WVU - Diesel Car Emissions Study

@ronaldleemhuis: Commiserations. Presumably insurance - doesn't sound too serious - radiator, condenser, bumper + support, left front panel, hood. I've been looking at dashcams - could pay off with rare footage like that. Wonder if the city emergency brake on newer cars can pick up deer in time?
  4. B

Do you think VW will upgrade older cars to urea injection?

I think they would go for Adblue. Cost of parts is low for VW (manufacturing cost in China). Cost of labour is low for VW (contract with dealers). Cost for reflash is low. Cost of compensation is high. Cost of buyback is high. Cost of writing off boughtback vehicles is higher than fixing them...
  5. B

Four more carmakers join diesel emissions row

Of course the NOX limits aren't reasonable. US has the lowest NOX limit and worst quality fuel (cetane and lubricity) to go with it. No wonder cars are struggling to meet NOX limit. Probably Detroit lobbyists don't want to improve the fuel quality to make life easier for European car and truck...
  6. B

Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

It appears the forum software has a human error in the maths of page/post counting. It it's not fixed in a more up-to-date version (up to 5.1.9), the developers will fix it if they told.
  7. B

Our 2015 Polo petrol has the cold start stumbling idle. Dealer said it is "normal" for about 30 seconds - I presume a "feature" caused by the demand for low idle emissions.
  8. B

Bosch diesel technology papers by Jurgen Hammar

Found this photo on a Bosch forum. Looks different to the CP4. I'm guessing that the CP4i will be fitted to the next generation of engine after EA288. It looks like it will require reengineering of the engine design. Looks like a redesign of the pump would be required to permit a retrofit in...
  9. B

Would he able to try a WVU study simulation and retest with an extra 10 feet of exhaust pipe (my calculation of the flow resistance of the poorly designed WVU test rig on the VWs)?
  10. B

Bosch diesel technology papers by Jurgen Hammar

Found these Bosch documents by Jurgen Hammar on diesel technology for passenger cars (PC) and light duty vehicles (LDV). Interesting reading. Advanced Fuel Injection Equipment - Technology serving Future Diesel Powertrains Shows product strategy for diesel injection systems, with emphasis on...
  11. B

Four more carmakers join diesel emissions row

Don't journo's know how to do research any more? ICCT has been saying there is a problem for more than 12 months. And more brands as in their papers. http://www.theicct.org/news/press-release-new-icct-study-shows-real-world-exhaust-emissions-modern-diesel-cars-seven-times...
  12. B

Yes, I think that was one of the several I read. (Have read so much getting my head around all this.) Pity that journalists don't seem to be so good at doing research.
  13. B

I thought the worldwide announcement was that only EA 189 are affected by the "cheat code". Are you saying that these are Michael Horn's "three generations of engine" that need fixing? This is consistent with the worldwide impression that US vehicles much have bigger problems due to low cetane...
  14. B

CO2 absorber http://www.udmercy.edu/crna/agm/07.htm I have got a bubbler setup for calibrating breathalyser. A fritted disc (like sintered glass) gas dispersion tube does the micro-bubble job for scrubbing gas (or in my case the reverse). There are different grades of frit for different...
  15. B

But the PD didn't have to be tuned to prevent DPF clogging, so could tolerate more EGR to deliver less NOX and more particles. PD also doesn't suffer the HPFP longevity problems. Our PD blew visible smoke on heavy accelerator use. Just add cetane improver to reduce particulate emissions.
  16. B

NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

Yes. The guts of the problem is something between beancounters and corporate culture. The company doesn't from a cost perspective want to have to develop too many different versions for different markets. OTOH, they do exactly that already at least for less "critical" things - appearance...
  17. B

TDI NOx emissions compared to average car

Google knows all: http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions2012.html
  18. B

Certainly the media storm is too big to go away. Only the flawed WVU study got the 35x emission figure and it is likely the flawed test rig contributed. ICCT recommends euro6 NOX limits be doubled for real world tests because nobody can comply at reasonable cost...
  19. B

Same here. Obviously on steep downhills, engine braking is required to save the brakes from overheating. Amazing how many drivers are clueless on that. (But probably modern brakes are less prone to overheating and fade.)
  20. B

I think the WVU study has major flaws. See the WVU study thread. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4904991&postcount=31 Other ICCT research shows the NOX problem is present in nearly all diesels and the euro6 VW did fine...