Search results

1. Echo_Alpha

tuning analysis - what's in a malone tune - starter kit

Really interesting thread! I have a friend doing some work with ALH motors, working on his own maps and such, and it's neat to see another perspective. @burpod, if you ever do get a chance to work on CR modifications I would love to know and be able to give a little support to the work you're...
  2. Echo_Alpha

What did you do to your MK7 today?

Maybe I've got a bad actuator then? It sits open all the time, and that spring is really, really stiff. And there's a tube that runs back behind the head that pulls air not just from in the engine bay, but specifically from near the turbo, so I figured it had to be there to grab warm air. I...
  3. Echo_Alpha

While I like the look of a cone air filter in the engine bay (and my friend likes the whooshy noises), today i decided to try switching back to the stock airbox, minus the snow grid (Texas, y'all!). I cannot believe how restrictive that snow grid looks. I also could not believe how dirty the...
  4. Echo_Alpha

VCDS and Adaptive Headlight Error

I have no idea if this is normal or not, but after removing and reinstalling the headlight housings the headlamps are once again following the steering wheel.
  5. Echo_Alpha

CRUA Turbo upgrade

I know this has sat for waaay too long but I have not forgotten that you offered help and knowledge and wanted to say "thanks" where everyone can see it. In the next couple weeks I should have time to pull at least a couple logs and I'll put them up here. IIRC, Tunezilla allows uploads and makes...
  6. Echo_Alpha

It's a day late, but couple nights ago I tried to fix a dead right side HID headlight. I figured I would change both bulbs, since if one is EOL, the other night be close. Got the bumper off, pulled both housings, discovered there little bolt mount at the upper rear of the right housing was...
  7. Echo_Alpha

CRUA Thermostat and Thermostat housing change

I went to Pierce Automotive in Denton, and the shop lead there days it was an issue they were seeing on the older CR motors, that the fiber-reinforced plastic coolant manifold attached to the block behind the charge air cooler and then the plastic oil cooler below tended to weaken and crack over...
  8. Echo_Alpha

I'm sorry, this whole month has been a series of distractions and trips and time limitations, and I haven't checked in here. I took the car to a local shop rather than try to dig in myself, and I'm glad I did. In the end, it was a lot worse than I thought- a plastic coolant manifold on the...
  9. Echo_Alpha

I've just found out that all my leaks are from the same part. I was debating trying to get it and do a quick job, but... I think this one is worth leaving to the shop that found the leak. Thanks for posting!!
  10. Echo_Alpha

CRUA Turbo upgrade

I had assumed I was hitting an EGT limit! Makes sense that it wouldn't look that way if I'm logging the wrong temperature. We were logging Loc. IDE00167, Exhaust Temp 1 Bank 1. The cut doesn't give a big drop, it's just more of a plateau, so from a "driver's feel" perspective they seem to...
  11. Echo_Alpha

VCDS and Adaptive Headlight Error

I have the SEL lighting package on my 2015 Golf and my headlights have been sitting very low after a suspension change. Today I used VCDS to re-adapt them to sit at a normal height. Parked the car on level, went to Address 55, headlight adaptation, accept the new adaptation, it went just fine...
  12. Echo_Alpha

CRUA Turbo upgrade

I've got the Kerma CR190 kit installed and have finally been able to run it for about a month. I have a few issues to still deal with, such as a leaky intercooler pump, but overall I am very happy. It was a long road to getting it up and running, due to some unforeseen issues from previous...
  13. Echo_Alpha

I appreciate the second look! I wasn't keen on the idea of having to pull that core. It's been frustrating because of the intermittency. I should have time in a day or two when I can try to get the job done and see if it corrects the issue. I do, it's the Kerma CR190 kit. I'm pretty happy...
  14. Echo_Alpha

Turns out it's almost certainly not the core. Found drips off the back of the pan, out of the foam, and traced that forward to the electric pump for the intake cooler. There's drips on the pump and on the pan aft of it. The pump is covered in zip ties, so I'm assuming there's damage from some...
  15. Echo_Alpha

Today was just hunting down some issues on the Golf TDI. I think i'm suffering from the phantom coolant leak issue, so today reran the coolant bleed cycle in VCDS. Tried to pull some boost logs, but the laptop battery went low. There seems to be less torque/power than it feels like there...
  16. Echo_Alpha

Blowing a turbo sucks, I've had it happen on a Saab and a Lycoming. Glad you managed the issue well and I hope there's no impact on the rest of the car. The CR190 is a great upgrade, I've finally gotten through some teething issues (issues with injector seals from previous owner's repairs)...
  17. Echo_Alpha

GTG in Texas anyone?

Can't ever guarantee I'm available, but it's an interesting idea! I'm up in Ft. Worth area, but any excuse to drive is welcome!