Search results

1. W

Panzer plate worth the coin?

worth every penny and then some Panzer plate is highly recommended, saved my engine more than once. Worth every penny. It's thick and sturdy. If the bolts are tight you won't notice any additional noise. Highly highly recommended
  2. W

I'm at my last ounce of patience with this car!

DMF replacement requires removing tranny and a bunch of other crap on the bug, PITA but if your handy it can be done on your own. Hence the cost of a mechanic doing it. If you've ever taken a tanny off a car its not much harder to do the flywheel. As long as your replacing the DMF replace it...
  3. W

Help with diagnosis

I just replaced the alternator. It wasn't worth my time to find and replace the bearings, 8 bucks a day to work in the bug vs. 25 a day in my truck, the speed of repair becomes a huge factor.
  4. W

Help with diagnosis

Only 85k miles, seemed a bit early for all the issues to pop up, but it was never driven for the 1st 13 years. Only 56k. And the longblock was replaced at 47k due to timing belt tensioner slipping, (previous owner).
  5. W

Help with diagnosis

Thanks for the help guys, alternator bearings were smoked, and a royal pita to get out, somehow much easier to put back in, I really appreciate the help.
  6. W

Help with diagnosis

Hey my fellow TDI gurus, I have a diagnosis issue that i am trying to figure out without replacing everything on the serpentine system on my 98 beetle. there is obviously a bearing out in the serp system somewhere. I already replaced the alternator pulley, idler, and tensioner. My a/c...
  7. W

anyone in Indy area have a metal nerd timing belt tool kit i could borrow/rent

Anyone in the indianapolis area have a timing belt tool kit that I could rent or borrow over the weekend 2/1/13. My IP grenaded on me and I have to switch it out this weekend with minimal downtime. Call or txt me if u have one. 3177102720 Thanks all, Mark
  8. W

New Member with a 98 Red NB TDI

the deer sucks, but the teddy, now thats classy. :) and why is the vw emblem upside down? just noticed it
  9. W

Best 1st mod?

OH and keep up on the maintenance, Indigo Blue Wagon can help with that a lot, most of my parts come from them. never had an issue with any of them and their good quality parts, do not buy parts from some of the lower quality retailers/ebay unless its from one of the vendors on TDIclub...
  10. W

Best 1st mod?

That is what i use and have had good results, however I am also trying to prolong the life of my Injection Pump as it started making a pretty good whining noise after using ULSD for awhile (from truck stops before i learned my lesson) yes 4-6 oz of diesel clean and 4-6 oz of 2 TCW3. It has...
  11. W

Best 1st mod?

I will probably go with a malone stage II. Nothing too much otherwise i will be breaking stuff which i cant afford especially with the uncertainty of the economy.
  12. W

Best 1st mod?

Light Foot mod Your best bet is the lack of a heavy foot and hypermile behind the semis. Seriously though, ventectomy first -- this way you get the same fill point every time. NO TRUCK STOP DIESEL cetane is too low. I hear Loves is starting to offer B5-B20 Bio (so that might not be so...
  13. W

HELP (Jacked up my Door Lock Module)

Ok, long story short (insert multiple profanities and you have the entire saga). Repaired DLM on drivers side of 98 beetle last night, Spring popped off so I had to take Passenger side DLM out to see where spring went. If you dont know about the solder fix see link at bottom. After fixing 6...
  14. W

New Member with a 98 Red NB TDI

Good to see another 98, I agree on the black sheep, or red headed stepchild. And you might as well not even have a light in the car with the output of the mirror light. Fortunately i just figured out how to take the soft touch paint off the plastic, (isopropyl alcohol) unfortunately i had...
  15. W

Suit over California Diesel Standards research

Ok Time out, since i bought my beetle (1998) in Morgan Hill (south of San Jose) is there a bunch of California emissions crap that i can remove in Indiana to reverse the neutering. (Not talking removing EGR, however has been a thought) Indiana doesn't check emissions nor will likely anytime in...
  16. W

Diesels are over rated

I prefer my Beetle to any Prius. And that is from a dude in construction that gets made fun of daily for his selection of vehicle. But then i Laugh at the pump every time i think of how much I'd be spending putting fuel in my F150. It does seem that my maintenance bill seems a bit higher than...
  17. W

DMF, clutch, (R&R) intake cleaning this weekend suggestions???

Dont forget to put the flange back on when the tranny is half way in, it becomes a real PTA when the Tranny is all bolted up and then you have to put the flange in. oops.
  18. W

Just the Passenger side, the drivers side really wasnt in the way. as a note, pull the passengers side 1st with the brakes on so it counters the flange and you dont have to brace it to get the 6mm allen bolt out. reverse for installing. (tranny needs to be in gear)
  19. W

Thanks all, clutch and smf was a success, decided I bit off more than I could chew trying to clean intake as well, perhaps another day as well as a diesel purge. Man I love this site, as good as a bently manual, (probably better). :D
  20. W

should i clean the intake, has less than 1/8" of soot, should i clean the intake, has less than 1/8" of soot, On the inside of egr and intake, or should I just clean it anyway since I'm already in the engine bay