Search results

1. P

Phantom's 1997 Jetta GL IDI AAZ Manual

Recently I've noticed whenever I'm at a stop where the road isn't level and the car is leaning left, It becomes really tricky getting into first gear. Is this probably due to worn engine mounts with the age of the car? I also have a temporary groaning noise whenever turning right without being...
  2. P

Not sure if we've switched yet or not. But MPG aside I would say I could have used the fast idle during the winter months. I always felt the car was idling lower than I would prefer. Right now with the fast idle activating while the car is warming up it will idle around 1100 rpm. Previously...
  3. P

I ended up removing the plug from the line and put the line back onto the the pump where it's suppose to go. The car now idles higher when cold and once it reaches operating temperature the idle comes back down. I also gained about 3 MPG but that might just be a difference in driving style or...
  4. P

I asked about this blocked off line before but now I took a picture of it the diagram to reference. From the below diagram the vaccum line on the injection pump is removed and blocked off. I also found that the line from the wastegate to the change over valve was totally deteriorated. I...
  5. P

Got the parts installed and no more oil light or alternator light. I'm going to say it was a combination of a bad tensioner and a non clutched alternator pulley that caused this to happen. With the new tensioner and clutched alternator pulley the idler isn't bouncing around anymore...
  6. P

Looking into this further I'm realizing I might not be able to get the old Tensioner Lever out with the engine in the car. Seems quite long and not enough room for it to be removed. Might just cancel that part if I won't be able to get in on. I doubt that's the culprit here anyways.
  7. P

Yes this make much more sense now and hopefully is the case. Parts are ordered and I also picked up the alternator pulley tool today which was on sale so that's a win I guess. Going to replace the Belt, Alternator Pulley, Tensioner & Tensioner Lever. Will be spraying everything down before...
  8. P

All pulleys seems to be a bit shiny and the old belt is wrapped around the power steering pulley & crank. I can't recall what a shiny pulleys indicates, would that mean the belt was slipping? AC pulley has a tiny bit of movement to it but I don't know if I can say it has play. I did run over...
  9. P

I was speaking with my mechanic to see if there's any warranty on the belt. He said that if the alternator is not running the oil light will also come on. If that's true that's a relief to hear. I was going down a rabbit hole of IM shaft bearings causing low oil pressure etc, but I did think...
  10. P

I just thought I'd change the tittle to make it relevant to the current issue. I'm assuming there's some wiring for the oil pressure sensor near the belt area and probably was already frail to begin with. The sensor it self is probably okay. I'll know more once I can get a better look at it.
  11. P

Serpentine belt just broke while I was waiting for the diesel pump at the station. Gave me a big scare when I saw both alternator light a oil pressure light at the same time. I'm only 2 min away from my house but I think I'm going to get it towed to avoid any other issues. I'm sure it...
  12. P

Return line has held up good. Most recently I was having issues with my brake light switch. Before ordering a new one I thought I'd try to take it apart and clean it up. Opened it up and sprayed some contact cleaner in there. Seems to be working much better now. I was also able to pick up a...
  13. P

Picked up this from The Home Depot for $10. A bit of a snug fit but should work.
  14. P

Since these lines are mostly listed in inches, would you get the 1/8" size? Seems to be the closest size.
  15. P

Replaced the pump and finished up the oil pan replacement last night. I compared the two pumps and the newer one was slightly different. Hopefully this won't cause any issues long term. Next I need to find some return line/hose. I believe 2 are leaking from the injectors. According to what...
  16. P

I agree that the stress cracks would be odd for an oil pump. Since I have it apart right now anyways I just ordered the part. The car has roughly 280K Kms and when I got it the odometer wasn't working so could be much more. Not sure if I'll be able to see the vacuum pump side without removing...
  17. P

Got the windage tray piece delivered today. The seller shipped it with the pick up tube as well. I didn't want to remove the pickup tube from my pump so I carefully transferred over the plastic piece. Before I installed the pump back on I took a closer look and noticed some stress cracks...
  18. P

Yup, that's what I'm trying. Not many of these around at the salvage yards locally either. Found one guy who has the part for $30 he's about 2 hours away. Probably another $30 for shipping. Otherwise I found a new oil pump that includes the plastic peice. Not sure if it's worth the extra...
  19. P

Both windage tray and oil pan bolts are discontinued at the dealer. I guess I can clean up the RTV from the old bolts but what about the windage tray? Would I be okay to install it with just the 1 clip holding it in place? Alternatively if I remove it all together would I be okay as long as I...
  20. P

Going back to that line that's blocked off with a bolt I was showing earlier. It goes into this device. I think it something to do with EGR. Today I was working on replacing the oil pan & gasket with baffle. I accidently broke 2 of the 3 clips on the windage tray. Found the part number...