Search results

1. frugality

aftermarket wheel manufacturer in Michigan - Power Wheels Pro

Interesting link for y'all: http://www.powerwheelspro.com/shop/index.php They're on the north side of the Detroit area, and contract quality OEM wheel manufacturers to make their knock-off wheels. Note that they make some of these later-styled wheels in 5x100 for those of you with A4's. Make...
  2. frugality

lube yer hood latch.....some preventative maintenance....

Doing my 180k-mile oil change, I had difficulty getting the secondary hood latch to release. Turns out the hook on the left was binding on its pivot, and the plastic lever was flexing. I used a little spray silicone lube that I use on my door hinges. If you've got an older Mk5 or Mk5.5, you...
  3. frugality

2010 JSW door hinge rust beginning

Since there have been a few threads about rust in recent days, here's one more. 2010 JSW, 170k miles, Michigan car. This rust is only on the driver's door upper hinge. I'm going to have my front bumper repainted due to some missing paint on the center lower cowl area, so I may see if the body...
  4. frugality

2010 JSW broken rear wiper replacement

So my rear wiper has gotten knocked out of whack by going through automatic car washes. After exiting the car wash, the wiper arm would be pushed down onto the lower painted part of the tailgate. So I bought new wiper arm components from 1stvwparts.com, which is a VW dealer in Washington state...
  5. frugality

Meijer diesel

Recently I was filling up at a Meijer, and a fuel truck was there filling up the tanks. The driver/delivery guy came over to me an asked, "what was that you poured in your tank?" I told him it was a diesel fuel additive. He proceeded to tell me that he puts additive in the tank, and while he...
  6. frugality

loaded JSW

I guess it's kinda hard to tell in this picture, but my JSW has a drop-leaf dining table and 7 chairs in it. I keep looking at other cars, like a GTI, or a 2-series BMW. But I think I'd quickly miss the cargo space. Went to Menards the other day and brought home an 8'-long section of...
  7. frugality

P2015 intake manifold flap fix how-to

This is somewhat of a how-to for the error code: P2015 intake manifold flap; implausible signal. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- EDIT, 15Jan2015: I should have edited this 1st post a long time ago, to save future folks from...
  8. frugality

frequent DPF regens

In the summertime, I've noticed that regens seem to happen about every 500 miles or so. That's maybe once a week for my driving habits. In the wintertime, I've noticed that they are more frequent. Which makes sense, because when it's cold, your car runs richer longer, which makes for more...
  9. frugality

Indianapolis TDI'ers UNTIE!

That's what goes through my mind every time I see that thread title. :D Maybe I'm dylsexic. Just some weird hump-day humor....
  10. frugality

Hailstorm damages up to 28,000 VWs at Wolfsburg plant

Not specifically TDI related, but interesting.... http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/09/19/hailstorm-damages-up-to-28000-vws/?intcmp=features
  11. frugality

Nudity

How's that for a thread title? :D I was giving my car a thorough cleaning and clay-barring, and decided to go ahead and remove my tailgate badges/emblems. I had a fair amount of 'rail dust' to try to clean in and around them. I was rear-ended last summer in the left rear, and the lower left...
  12. frugality

wind buffeting -- 2-door Golfs with sunroofs

I have a question for folks with 2-door Golfs with sunroofs: Do you experience any unusual wind noises with only your sunroof open? The reason I ask is because part of me has a hankerin' for a 2-door Golf. I miss the sunroof that my old Golf had (and didn't really want the pano roof on the...
  13. frugality

Looking forward to new technologies....

Came across this in the news....been hoping the technology would go this direction one of these days: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/01/07/new-device-lets-control-monitor-car-with-your-phone/?intcmp=features I hear-tell that Ross-Tech is working on some new technologies for VCDS....sounds...
  14. frugality

Air conditioner condenser failure at 66k miles / 2.5 years

Mostly posting this for the sake of others who might search for A/C problems later. My A/C suddenly went out just before the Memorial weekend. Took it to the dealer because I wanted something else checked out by them anyway. No pressure in the lines. They recharged it with a dyed refrigerant...
  15. frugality

Spotted: Lew Pavlovich's old Green lifted Beetle!

In Ludington, MI, at the city beach. I first saw this, and snickered: (pardon the lousy cell phone shots) When I looked back and saw the "Turbo Diesel" decal on the front fender, I thought to myself, "Hey! I know that car!" The soot is from RC3 and some phat nozzles, if I remember...
  16. frugality

replaced OEM 17" ContiProContacts with 17" Michelin Priamcy MXM4's

The car came with 17" silver Goal wheels wrapped in Continental ContiProContacts. Awful tires. Grip was O.K. in dry and wet, but they were the noisiest, harshest tires I've ever had. I was looking forward to the day I could ditch them. In the winter, I run a set of 16" aluminum rims from...
  17. frugality

Collapsed oil filter

Once upon a time I saw someone post pictures of the OE VW oil filters with zigzag pleats, and how they 'collapsed' during the 10k oil interval. Below is a pic I scoured from the picture gallery, not mine, but mine looked like this, too, when I used VW oil filters for the first couple of oil...
  18. frugality

winter grille blocking, 2010 Sportwagen

It's that time of year. I didn't block the grille last winter, but thought I'd try it this winter. There are 5 slots in the lower grille, so the pipe insulation foam installs over one of the horizontal slats, blocking 2 horizontal slots each, and it's necessary to make some relief cuts for...
  19. frugality

Air filter @ 40k miles, 2010 JSW

I hit the 40k mark, and along with the oil and fuel filters, decided to change the air filter as well. The manual calls for the air filter at 60k. Of course looks can be deceiving. The filter underneath the snow pre-filter is probably in good shape, and it could be that the dirt on the...
  20. frugality

Phantom rear wiper - JSW

A few times I've had my rear wiper wipe on its own, causing me to go, "what the...?" when I know I didn't hit the switch. No, not the 'extra wipe'. If you've run your rear wiper squirter and run the wiper for a few wipes, then turn the wiper off, you will get one more automatic wipe a few...